Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

Lake MX170 Shoes

2.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Lake MX170 MTB Race Shoe: Our all-new lightweight race shoe. All leather, all BOA, all race....

Submitted by brado a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    grip when walking. stiff sole, but still walkable. (Does it sound like I walk too much :) )

Weaknesses:    poor boa cable routing

Bottom Line:
I'd give the shoes a 1 or 2 because the routing of the cable is poor. After about 2.5 yrs the cable broke and it is impossible to thread a new one in. I'd give Lake customer service a 5 since they replaced the shoes for me. They have discontinued this model (altho I see they are still available online) and the other models look like they would be much easier to rethread a new lace (it is not one long tunnel to push through anymore). I'm going to regularly clean & lube the laces as recommended by Lake & hopefully get quite a few more years out of these shoes.

Similar Products Used:   sidi, pearl izumi

Bike Setup:   pivot 429, surley travelers check

Submitted by Like2bike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable toe box area

Weaknesses:    The BOA system fails because of it's location at the rear of the shoe.

Bottom Line:
Save your money DO NOT BUY THIS SHOE!!! Unfortunately, Lake misplaces the location of the BOA system it has to overcome a great deal of friction to operate effectively. As the plastic coated strings slide back and forth along the inside of the upper the coating wears off leaving exposed steel wire and then the BOA will barely close or open. The right shoe system failed after maybe 15 rides and the left. I own two other pairs of Lake shoes one of which has a BOA located near the front of the shoe/boot and works perfectly. On the bright side BOA does honor their warranty and will send you new parts so essentially you will be riding with a steel wire lace with a bow tied to keep your shoes on your feet. Finally, If Lake was a responsible company they'd recall this horrible and extremely flawed design which ruins the name of quality system such as BOA.

Similar Products Used:   Lake winter MTB shoe with BOA

Submitted by Bill Fancher a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    When new shoes worked well and were comfortable. I bought these shoes for the wide width, but from experience with other lake shoes I bought them a half size larger and the fit is good.

Weaknesses:    After six weeks of use the cables system used to tighten them stopped working in the right shoe and it would not loosen to allow them to be taken off easily. Then a week later the other one stopped working, also the left sole is starting to separate.
Very disappointing after having had my last pair of Lake Shoes for five years without any problems.

Bottom Line:
Although I have used Lake shoes and have liked them, I will not be buying any with the cable lacing system in the future.

Submitted by fat guy a Cross Country Rider from Sugar Grove, PA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    Warm for PA climate

Weaknesses:    BOA system

Bottom Line:
After 9 months the BOA lacing started jamming in the tube that goes along the side, I tried to pull it out to replace it and it snapped off inside. I now have a $150 pair of paperweights. Shoes with the BOA ratchet on the back of the heel SUCK!

Favorite Trail:   E-ville

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by ktac a Weekend Warrior from midland,mi

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    good looks,boa lace,heelfit,comes in wide width.

Bottom Line:
Great shoes comfy,light,stiff comes in wide width.(lakes run about a half inch large).This is a good shoe for most light duty cycling.Racers will want something that breathes more,the only dis like is the tounge seems to slip right or left its not uncomfortable just annoying.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   lake mx190,sidi dom,diadora

Bike Setup:   scott scale 29 team,stock except wtb devo saddle,truvative stem.

Submitted by scotawful a Weekend Warrior from OC, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Boa lacing system. Comfort. Slick looking if you like the semi-soccer shoe look

Weaknesses:    bolt-on toe cleats and plug bolts come loose easy. Don't forget to retighten every other ride or so, otherwise you lose them and they're not easy to find replacements

Bottom Line:
So far so good with these shoes. I have not put them through the full ringer yet, but they've been on some solid rides over the last couple months. No problems with the boa system yet, but I'm definitely suspicious about the longer-term durability. The rest of the shoe seems very solid and well built in terms of fit and finish. I'll definitely post an update in a few more months. I got a smokin deal on these, so I think they're great value so far and I would recommend them. Also, the boa system is definitely convenient. I ALWAYS find my shoes tend to loosen part way through a ride. With these, you just reach down and give em another click or two and your set: takes 2 seconds and no need to get off the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Trails

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycles

Similar Products Used:   Diadora, Shimano, Adidas

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX with an identity crisis that thinks its an XC bike. Oh wait, that's me with the identity crisis. Poor bike.

Submitted by Captn a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction CO

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    I've had the shoes 2 months, and liked them until today. Shoe is very comfortable, natural rubber sole grips slick rock and loose terrain easily. Shoes are much lighter than the Vibram sole models. BOA lacing system worked great until I couldn't adjust the tension.

Weaknesses:    The protective sleeve covering the stainless steel cable is worn away. Shoe's don't tighten or loosen easily. I had to take off the BOA cap, unwind the cable, and then use extreme force to get the cable loose. I have narrow feet, perhaps tightening the shoe to fit my feet, and the winding of the cable, has caused abrasion to sleeve? I think the ratchet and velcro of my Sidis works easier.

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable shoe. Rubber soles grip slick rock. Shoe may be great for those with normal width feet. They also make a wide shoe, but nothing in the narrow width. There is a 1 year guarantee, so we'll see if they replace the cable.