Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

Lake MX100 Shoes

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Multi-purpose trail shoe. Leather and mesh upper. Molded heel counter. Flexible SPD® midsole. Trail outsole. Size: 39-48, 50; 39.5-46.5

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, IL

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty comfortable for walking around in. Low profile easy to click in and out of, even with platform-style SPD pedals.

Weaknesses:    Not really rigid enough for really long/intense rides.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shoe when you need to walk around a little or a lot. I've worn these all day without fatigue -- I mean ALL DAY on my bike and on my feet, even jogging around a bit. When walking, the cleats occasionally click and scratch on the pavement, but this neither interferes with walking nor seems to cause much damage to the cleat.

The downside of the shoes, and why I'm now shopping for a new pair of SPD shoes, is that they really aren't rigid enough for more frequent, intense riding. I've ridden two and three hours on these, both road and off-road, so it's not like they can't handle it. It's just that the fatigue starts to wear on you, especially if you ride frequently.

But for an entry-level shoe, or one you can use for walking around in quite comfortably, this is a great choice.

(Side note for guys like me with big feet: I'm a size 48, and I find these shoes just a bit too disproportianately narrow, style-wise. They don't *feel* too narrow, but they look that way, so I'm less inclined to wear them around. I don't think this would be a problem for those with smaller feet, whose shoes are typically narrower anyway. So you might want to look elsewhere if you've got a big foot and want a shoe that both feels and LOOKS good for off-bike usage.)

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Road: Concord Americas frame, Shimano 105 Group, Mavic CXP 11 Wheelset, Conty Ultra tires, Shimano 515 pedals.
MTB: 2004 Gary Fisher Big Sur (stock, incl. Shimano 505 pedals).

Submitted by David Huneycutt a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable shoe. Clips in nicely

Weaknesses:    I have found none yet

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for the price. I got a brand new pair for $30.00 at a swap. I would gladly pay the $80.00 if I were buying them new.

Favorite Trail:   Renassaince

Purchased At:   swap meet

Similar Products Used:   first pair of spd shoes

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher

Submitted by Carl Nelson a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    Great price, casual looks, lace holder

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any in the 6 months I've had these shoes!

Bottom Line:
In the 6 months I've now been using these shoes, I haven't had a single problem with them... They are lasting through the absolutely torturing punisment I give them (they get soaking wet almost every day, haven't been washed once).

I can see the cutting and prying necessary to be a hassle, but the bike shop did all that for me :)

Definitely a great shoe for the price!

Favorite Trail:   Burnaby Mountain

Purchased At:   Westpoint

Similar Products Used:   First SPD shoes

Bike Setup:   2K1 Rocky MTN Stratos, Rynolite rims, 2.35 Maxxis MOFO DH tires

Submitted by Vince G a Weekend Warrior from Oak Creek WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Strengths:    Very comfortable and afordable. Also easy to clip into and the looks aren't that bad either. Great stiffness and support.

Weaknesses:    Two main weaknesses. One is that there is no pre-cut hole on the bottom of the shoe, you have to pry it of with a razor and pliers. NOT FUN;( And two, that lead to the rubber on the bottom to wear when your riding and not clipped in. The pedal wears out the rubber by digging in to the sole. But i took them back because they had an impressive 1 Year warranty. I glady took them back and even got a little bigger pair for no charge at all! And the mesh outer wore a little before that return.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great for walking in them and trail riding/competetion shoes. A great shoe for the 60-70$!!!!