Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

Lake MX 101 Shoes

4.23/5 (13 Reviews)

• Suede leather and mesh upper
  • Instep retaining straps and lace closure
  • Internal nylon lasting plate
  • Low profile Trail outsole pattern

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by TFrog a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    All around good shoe. Tried Shimano shoes and they never fit right. I have an extremely wide foot so purchased the MX101W. Worked very well and fit was dead on for my wide foot.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness was the airflow. In winter it's quite cold and should be worn with some form of cover.

Bottom Line:
    I'd recommend the shoes. Especially the MX101W for those with wide feet. You can't find a better built shoe specifically built for wide feet. Believe me. I've looked all over.

Purchased At:   Harrell's Bicycle Wo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano brand shoes.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Dual Sport 129 factory stock except pedals (Time Atacs) and saddle.

Submitted by ben3843100 a Cross Country Rider from Duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Confortable, good wearing, not ugly.

Weaknesses:    None that immediately come to mind.

Bottom Line:
    A great shoe at a great price and available in large sizes. This shoe was recomended to me by the staff at Now Bikes and Fitness. The shoe fits well (I wear a 14-15 US) and still looks good after 5000+ miles of riding. I ride to, and also wear my shoes all day at work and they are decent for off-bike wear and intermediate hiking. I have had to replace the laces, but that's about it. Definitely not a cold-weather shoe, unless you wear shoe covers. Your toes will freeze because of the mesh on the front of the shoe. :-)

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Now Bikes and Fitnes

Similar Products Used:   Unknown

Bike Setup:   2007 Jamis Dakota 29er, Douglas Precision Pro Ti

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Bullhead City

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Strengths:    Wide width availability, holding quite well after about 12,000 miles of use in trail riding, road riding, and commuting. Holding up so well, I am on the third pair of shoe laces for them. Very comfortable, and easy to walk in.

Weaknesses:    Shoe laces don't hold up, (ha,ha)

Bottom Line:
    I liked the shoe so much, that even though it hasn't worn out yet, I picked up another pair when I saw my same size on ebay for $20, now that was a deal, brand new. In other words, it is a shoe for the non racer, or touring type that will hold up for a long time, comfortable in the AZ desert heat, my feet highly endorse them. If you have wide feet, you know that finding the right shoe that doesn't start feeling tight after 30 miles is worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Generic Nashbar brand, older Cannondale pair in the 90's.

Bike Setup:   A variety of bikes for a variety of rides

Submitted by Darrin a Weekend Warrior from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Good stiffness for pedaling efficiency, easy to walk in, look like normal shoes.

Weaknesses:    Metal eyelets that the laces threaded through tore out or just bent and would cut into my foot. Only minor scratches but after 20 miles it can get pretty irratating. Plus I've put holes in every pair of biking socks I own. Tread not thick enough to walk without scraping the cleats. Very thin shoes not for the wide footed.

Bottom Line:
    Shoes were ok for about the first year and then they started to wear fast. They were realativly cheap but don't buy these if you want your shoes to last.

Favorite Trail:   Jardine Juniper

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Tennis shoes

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT, fox talus fork

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort! I switched from Nike ACG's to these and I'm very satisfied. The Nikes were a little narrow for my feet. I have an "E" width and found these to fit perfect! I can walk around without looking like I have a stick in my butt! That and there are no more cracks about my "red shoes" at work before I change. I just where these all day and with the vibram sole I don't have to worry about slipping or excessive tread were. These are awesome shoes, and will not be my last pair for sure.

Weaknesses:    None come to mind.

Bottom Line:
    Given the comfort and all day wearability these are definately worth the money. I would expect a higher price for the fit and quality of these shoes. You could get better shoes, for more money of course. I ride every day and get it in the dirt on weekends and at 225lbs these do the job for me!

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon (Yeah, I know...)

Similar Products Used:   Nike ACG, shimano and (forgive me) Adidas (crap crap crap).

Bike Setup:   Old school 94' Haro Escape, Noleen crosslink forks, XT comps, Ritchy WCS cranks, THE titanium saddle, sram chain, XT shifters and brakes, Power Tools stem, FSA BB and headset, sweetskinz tires.

Submitted by GEORGE from THESSALONIKI,GREECE

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    GREAT SHOE.CVERY COMFORTABLE. I ONLY HAVE IT FOR ABOUT A MONTH BUT IT LOOKS VERY WELL MADE.

Weaknesses:    CAN'T SEE ANY.....

Bottom Line:
    I BOUGHT IT ON SALES VERY CHEAP, GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.

Bike Setup:   CANYON ES6 WITH FOX TALAS RLC,AVID JUICY'S 7,THOMSON ELITE,SHIMANO XT FRONT DERRAILEUR, SRAM X9 REAR, SCHWALBE ALBERT TYRES.

Submitted by Mr Pink a Weekend Warrior from eureka, ca usa

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Price, Looks, Feel, Seem to be very well made (solid feeling, not flimsy)

Weaknesses:    Weight I guess but I don't care

Bottom Line:
    Just adding my two cents, if you're thinking of getting these I think you'll be happy. By the way I'm a US 10 1/2 (usually tight) or 11 (usually just right or a just a tad too big) in regular shoes and got the 45 size mx101s and they fit perfect (in case you're searching for that info, like I was before I bought 'em)

Givin 'em 5 chilis cuz they do what they do perfectly. I'm sure there are more expensive lighter shoes but these fit the bill perfectly for me.

Favorite Trail:   hammond

Similar Products Used:   first pair of bike shoes

Bike Setup:   2004 cannondale jekyl

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Youngstown, Oh

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Strengths:    Good solid shoe, stiff enough to get power yet I am able to walk fine. Good looking shoe, and I like the little elastic strap for the laces.

Weaknesses:    They run a bit narrow, but I have wide feet. Nashbar did not have the 101W in my size, so I tried these. I would keep them but after 600 miles they just never widened out. Cant blame the shoe for that, so I have to say the shoe has no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
    Durable shoe, light weight, able to walk in them without looking like you have bike shoes. After riding with Lake shoes I will be sticking with Lake shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Lisbon BWT

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   ?

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher with lots of stuff :>)

Submitted by Sam Van Dellen a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable, Durable, Stylish, almost wide enough (I have REALLY wide feet)

Weaknesses:    Don't hold up to the abuse our kitten gives them

Bottom Line:
    I love these shoes. They're the most comfortable shoes I've had in a long time, period. I wear them 12+ hours every day and sure, my feet are tired at the end of the day, but I've yet to meet a shoe that does any better of ANY sort.

I got these as an employee purchase through QBP thinking that for the price even if they didn't fit quite right it wouldn't be a huge deal. Boy, was I ever right! I'll be buying another pair soon unfortunately as our kitten loves them almost as much as I do and doesn't take care of them the way I do.

Highly recommended for people who need an all-purpose shoe.

Favorite Trail:   Chicago Streets

XTR rapidfire
    Magura hs-33 brakes

Submitted by Carlson a Downhiller from Sherwood Park, AB, CAnada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Strengths:    Convenient for all-purpose as well as serious cycling. Well-ventilated and good with Scotchlite. Tough soles put up with a lot of wear.

Weaknesses:    Not the best for using on road bikes - of course, they're not intended for that anyway. Uppers fray a bit after use.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent shoe I'd buy again for cross-country, trail and downhill. I wouldn't try to use them for road. Great for distance racing and cross.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-op

Bike Setup:   MTB: http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_palisades_trail.html
    Road: http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/crdthree.htm

Submitted by Lance a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    Hardwearing, great fit, comfortable, great sole, versatile

Weaknesses:    The upper eventually wears, but just minor stitching problems. Time for a new pair!

Bottom Line:
    I've moved through narrow fitting Shimano, fall apart Adidas to my 3rd pair of Lakes and I'm eyeing the MX60 as my next pair. I use them as multi-purpose shoes, walking round town and socialising as well as commuting and some long off-road rides. My first Lakes were full-on green MTB shoes with velcro straps, so I have deliberately moved to a multi-purpose shoe to entice me on the bike for zipping around. No regrets whatsoever. They wear better than plenty of runners or dress shoes. Absolutely recommended if you like the look.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Adidas, Lake MX300 and Lake MX100

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Kula Deluxe

Submitted by Lee a Racer from Madison, Wis.

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Strengths:    Good looking shoe, comfortable. I've been using them as shoes to commute to work, where I wear them all day.

They've got a little bit of reflective material on them, and I'm just happy with them, overall.

Weaknesses:    The laces are put through metal eyelets and reinforced by some kind of nylon webbing, but the two top eyelets are failing in my shoes. They pulled loose from the suede and are now just dangling on the laces, more or less. It seems the problem is that the nylon webbing did not anchor the eyelets from the bottom, so if you're the type that pulls up on the pedals with any force, the eyelets pop out over time.

One other complaint is that I wish the rubber treads were a bit taller so that the cleats wouldn't grind or scrape on the sidewalk's grit. Indoors, there's no scraping.

Lake offered warantee information, but I don't think I'll bother sending them back. This shortcoming in an otherwise good set of shoes can be solved with a little jury rigging, I think.

Anyway, I'd like to add that I'm not sure that these shoes are unsuitable for cold weather. Even with the pathetic winter we've had here, Wisconsin is still fairly chilly, and my feet have done fine with these shoes and wool socks. The shoes are comparable to an average running shoe, as far as warmth goes.

Bottom Line:
    Nice shoe, especially if you like the style. Mine are grey suede with the blue webbing.

If you're looking for a hardy shoe to do some racing and whatnot, I probably wouldn't go with these. But for a combination of fairly aggressive commuting and just kicking around, they're pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   my favorite stretch on the way to work is when I'm passing along the lakes

Purchased At:   bikenashbar? someplace online