Home | Reviews | Shoes | Keen

Keen Commuter Shoes

The Keen Commuter sandal, designed specifically forThe female foot. DoesThe guy atThe grocery store frown when you stumble in wearing your cleats? WithThese, hell never know.TheToughToebox area stands upToThe knocks of cycling, whileThe open design allows water, rocks, etc.To easily drain away from your feet. Perfect for running errands aroundTown, commutingTo work or school, camping, and more! Works with any SPD compatible pedals (Shimano SPD, Crank Bros Eggbeater,Time ATAC, etc) Note

Submitted by Albatross2804 a Cross Country Rider from Sinai, Egypt

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Materials are bionic. Proper Cordura and Neoprene. The tie cord seems to be made out of rock climbing 4mm rope!

Weaknesses:    Look a bit odd at first, more like a ventilated shoe rather than a sandal.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a compromise when my previous Lake sandals finally expired after about 10 years. I brought them with me to the Sinai when I moved out here and the heat, sand and salty water finally made them fall apart.

I did look at the Shimano sandals, but I couldn't bring myself to wear BROWN SANDALS and the don't make black ones any more.

I also looked at the current Lake sandals and I was put off by the fact that the cord to tighten them runs through weak loops and around the back of the ankle. Once the Red Sea salt gets into those they are going to be seriously compromised.

These arrived about 2 weeks ago and they are bionic as far as the materials are concerned and only time will tell whether the stitching is up to the same strength.

It is a disadvantage to have a closed toe here. Sand gets into the shoe and you can't just shake it out as I used to be able to; this is a big factor in sandy dry environments. That said, the protection around the toe is very strong and reassuring. See this as a well ventilated shoe and you're closer to the mark.

The lacing is very effective, but the shoes are very long and narrow a bit like Shimano shoes, so for walking off hte bike it is best to slacken off the tension a bit. I am slightly disappointed that the heel strap is not adjustable. To get your foot down inside the shoe can leave the back of the shoe a bit loose. It doesn't make a lot of difference because the rest of the shoe clams the foot so well.

In use I forget that I am not wearing my full shoes or boots except that I don't arrive with sweaty feet.I use them on long off road rides as well as just riding to and from work here. I can actually wear these all day on and off the bike which negates the need to carry a spare pair of sandals around with me.

They are also advertised as "Waterproof" on the side which seems odd for sandals until you realise that they mean that they are designed to be able to get very wet and not fall apart. I work as a diving instructor here and use them to walk to and from the shore dive sites regularly after locking he bike up and they are standing up well. Any ordinary shoe falls apart very, very quickly when subjected to the very salty sea water and then subsequent searing heat around here.

I'll report back in 6 months, but these will definitely do for now.

A tad expensive, but then I think that about all decent SPD shoes.

I only gave 4 chillis overall because:

I think that the heel strap should be another adjustable velcro strap just like the one over the top of the ankle for a better fit, it really would have made a perfect fitting shoe otherwise.

I also think that these shoes should be built with an anticipation of sandy rides, so a hole under the toes in the sole to let the rider shake the sand out whilst still pedalling along would be a good idea (Whoops perhaps I should have sold that idea)

Favorite Trail:   Dahab to Ras Abu Gallum and back

Purchased At:   webtogs

Similar Products Used:   Lake sandals - the one the stopped making that was a nicer lookignblack version similar to the Shimano sandal.

Bike Setup:   Lightweight XC full suss.

11spd for commuter?

I'm moving to 1x11 on my trail bike, and was wondering how it would go on my commuter? Can someone with more brains than me tell me how the ratios would compare with my 44t front and 11-36t rear? I do run a middle ring (32) also, but use it very rarely. I spend most of my commutes in the bottom t ... Read More »

Mountain Bike to Commuter Tire Help Please!

Hello Fellow Bikers! I need help with converting my 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin to a commuter bike. First task on my list is changing my tires. Currently I have on the stock tires that came with the bike: [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Times New Roman] Front: 26 x 2.25" Bontrager Jones XR, Rear: 26 x 2.20" Bontr ... Read More »

Low priced SS 29er for a commuter?

I need a winter bike, and general all around "beater". I had a great bike, but it was stolen. It was some Walmart jobber that was a curb find (gotta love college kids) I didn't mind abusing it, and it didn't seem to mind being abused. I got tired of the derailleur constantly icing up, so removed it ... Read More »

Commuter bike. (Lot's of noob questions)

So I got a promotion at work, and I started to bike to work. It's 10 miles to work (I bus home right now. I will be biking home more soon.) And I work 6 days a week. Right now I ride a walmart bike. It gets the job done for the most part, and was cheap (I didn't have much cash at the time, it was al ... Read More »

Noobie commuter.

Hello All. I have been commuting by bike for about 2 months now. I have a cheap Walmart bike (Genesis 29er) (it was all I could afford at the time, and I needed it now.) In the past two months I have had to get the bottom bracket replaced (which messed up the back wheel enough to need to be replac ... Read More »