Home | Reviews | Shoes | Giro

Giro Terraduro Shoes

2.6/5 (5 Reviews)

While most trail shoes are still based on XC racing, the Giro Terraduro was created to navigate the demands of all-mountain riding, balancing on-and off-the-bike performance in a low-profile design. This durable shoe is built around a stout nylon shank th

Submitted by thefriar a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2014

Strengths:    Vibram, solid velcro and ratchet. Good fit.

Weaknesses:    Vibram sole not properly attached to the sole/shoe. Blew up on 3rd ride, useable to pedal but comprimised "technical" hike a bike.

Bottom Line:
Purchased these because my great Specialized Rimes Boa bit the dust on the first day of a 10 day bike vacation. Local shop really helped me out, right size, and helped with price.

I ride tech, rocky, rooty trail, and need something with proper grip, especially if I come off the bike on sketchy trials moves, Vibram is key choice when I'm not in Five10s (ie. clipped in).

They're great for pedaling, stiff, good enclosure and top shoe is quality after 15 rides.

But the Vibram sole broke on both sides of the shoe around the cleat on the 3rd ride. This is unacceptable. 3rd ride. I was hike a biking a nasty section in Pisgah and the sole broke and caused me to lose footing/slip. Wow.

LBS at home was able to help out and getting warranty in now. I've got the BOA replacement for the speshies already, so the new pair may never get worn again or until the boas die again in a year and a half.

Duration Product Used:   <3 weeks

Purchased At:   Magic Cycles, Boone,

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rime, Mavic Chasm

Bike Setup:   All Mountain

Submitted by JP Nuts a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2014

Strengths:    great concept.

Weaknesses:    My experience is sim to the previous post. I am on my 3rd pair and they are delaming like the first 2. I am sending them back and asking for refund. Great concept just poor engineering. Perhaps the bonding can't hold the 2 dissimilar materials together. Giro has a long way to go to regain my interest

Bottom Line:
it's been said already

Submitted by thebe001 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2014

Strengths:    Looks awesome, super comfortable, shoe fits like a glove, good performance all around the mountain.

Weaknesses:    Bottom line... The Vibram soul separates from the plastic base of the shoe causing the entire shoe to self destruct. This has happened on two sets of Terraduros I have had.

Bottom Line:
It kills me to right this review because I think Giro has hit the mark with the Terraduro for guys looking for an all around do everything shoe on the mountain. This shoe had the perfect blend between the performance of a true XC shoe and the versatility and stability of a DH flat. I ride very mixed trails which vary greatly between moderate trail riding, mixed road/trail and gnar down hill at Mammoth and Snow Summit. These shoes handle it all. I would pinpoint more great attributes of these shoes but bottom line I wouldn't recommend these shoes to ANY ONE. The Vibram sole is both the Terraduro greatest strength and greatest flaw. I road my first set of Terraduros for about 3 weeks and I noticed around the cleat area the Vibram sole was separating from the shoe. I returned the shoes for another set thinking I received a lemon but... a month later I am back in the same boat. The Vibram sole on my second set delaminated so much that the sole is beginning to rip and the entire right side of the shoe is disintegrating. Giro please fix your design and construction of this shoe because the Tarraduro would rock if they didn't self destruct after 10 rides.

Duration Product Used:   3 months/500 miles

Purchased At:   Arts

Bike Setup:   DB Mason Pro Hard Tail

Submitted by mikodipo a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Fit:
- No heel lifts
- Roomy toe box
- Flexible toe for comfortable walking off the bike without interfering with stiffness on the pedals
- Hook and loop straps were really grippy at first and almost took too much effort to release, but they have broken in and are secure and are easier to release.
- Offset center strap doesn't put hot spot on top of foot
- Ratchetting upper strap for fine adjustments on and off the bike

Sole:
- Grippy Vibram sole covers entire sole (except cleat area), so that unclipped situations are less sketchy
- Sole is for the most part flat, which also adds to the confidence in unclipped situations

Sizing:
- I felt the sizing to be true to size between my Shimano DX (MP66L).
- Compared to other giro mountain shoes, these may feel about a half a size larger because the toe box is wider and less restricting. In the comparable size in their Gauge shoe, the Gauge felt tighter and more uncomfortable due to the narrow toe box. This is also using regular cotton socks in both cases.

Weight:
- Not sure on the exact weight, but they are in between the 510 Minnaars and Giro Gauge's, but more towards the Gauge's weight. Minnaar's are freakishly heavy.
- I dont notice the weight when riding and is typically lighter than my usual riding shoes.

Price:
These shoes are not cheap, but when comparing other similar shoes, Giro's have always been a bargain. I hope they continue to build great shoes at reasonable price points.

Weaknesses:    Fit:
- Could use better arch supports. I had to purchase the giro insoles with adjustable arches to get good arch support.
- Doesn't breathe as well as xc shoes and can get hot on longer rides

Sole:
- May need cleat spacers for some pedals to engage easier. May not be an issue for heavier riders or riders who like to put more force in engagement.

Straps:
- Ratchet can get stuck in the "up" position when adjusting the strap, so you may need to push it down at times. if it were left in the up position, it would affect the tightness and won't loosen up if it does eventually go back to its neutral position while riding.

Bottom Line:
This shoe is great for downhillers who want better pedal efficiency and a slimmer shoe. Skate style clipless shoes have been my go to, but I wanted something that wasn't bulky so that i wasn't hitting my crank arms or chain stays. They offer the level of security you would want if you become unclipped and they are comfortable and confident when in a hike-a-bike situation. If you want a clipless shoe thats in between a downhill shoe and an xc shoe, this is it. Trying hard not to use the word "Enduro", but it fits this category well. For people that don't like to categorize disciplines, this is a great mountain bike shoe.

I have mostly been a flat pedal with 510 impact user, but have found the benefit of riding clipless. There are definitely compromises I need to make in this transition, but these shoes are great hybrid between downhill and xc clipless shoes and Giro has done a great job balancing between the two.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   backcountry.com

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB66 carbon

Submitted by Chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2014

Strengths:    preliminary thoughts - Tread is excellent on slick surfaces. Nice and black. Protection. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    preliminary thoughts - bulky when compared to my regular shoes (Northwave Raptors). Hot. Wide. Sizing seems a bit off.

Bottom Line:
Okay. Limited saddle time as of yet, so take this with a grain of salt. I've worn them around my office and home, trying to break them in. I bought a size 45, based on trying on 3 giro rd shoes and a different Giro mtb shoe. Dress shoe and sneaker shoe is an 11. Current Northwave Raptors are a 44. Probably should have orderd a 45.5.

More akin to a hiking shoe than a bike shoe. Traction is nice, tried to slide on a smooth, wet tile floor, no problem. More protection than my current shoes. Really more like a pair of hiking boots.

Definitely requires a break in period. After wearing them to work two days, they are starting to feel tolerable. Did the wet sock drying technique, but socks didn't dry out! And shoe was still damp hours later.

Seems to be a bit of pressure on my instep. I suspect that as things break in, that'll get better (or I'll just dump the innersole/get a thinner one).

I set up the cleats and went for a short ride. Had to re-adjust, as the inside ankle hit the stays on my bike. Felt fine clipping in and out.

The protection makes the shoes hot. We'll see how that translates to a ride. Keep in mind, I'm in Hawaii, so hot and humid is the norm.

Similar Products Used:   Northwave, Sidi, Nike Cairns, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   bad assed carpet fiber huffy baby!