Home | Reviews | Shoes | Giro

Giro Privateer Shoes

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Strap your feet into the roomy and tough Giro Privateer High-Volume Shoe to pedal with pro-level fit, fatigue-reducing support, and cooling ventilation.Stiff and lightweight DuPont Zytel nylon composite sole is more affordable than carbon, while still providing efficient pedalingMolded EVA footbeds with medium arch support mitigate fatigue and enhance comfortSupple synthetic leather uppers are breathable to keep your feet from overheatingAegis anti-microbial treatment prevents foul odors

Submitted by zance789 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2015

Strengths:    durability; stiffness; grip

Weaknesses:    toebox and top of foot fit

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Privateers after the cleat and portion of the sole on one of my Diadora Escape 2 shoes ripped off in my pedal. My two previous shoes were size 42 so I ordered a pair of size 42 and a pair of size 42.5 shoes based on reviews about the shoes running a little larger than other shoes. The size 42 shoes were too small so I tried the size 42.5 shoes. The 42.5 size just fit with the stock footbeds, which have rather thick arches. Replacing the stock footbeds with a pair of Specialized Body Geometry footbeds made the shoes fit better. After using the Privateers for several months I have noticed that my pinky toes and tops of my feet are sometimes slightly sore so I have been wearing thinner socks. Otherwise, the shoes have been very durable, especially in the toebox areas, which often get scraped from rocks and pedals. The soles are stiff and allow a lot of power transfer, which I noticed has helped my pedaling. The tread has provided good grip despite not being very aggressive. The only downside that I have found is that the middle strap buckles seem to sit on the tendons on the tops of my feet. This pressure, combined with the padded tongues, sometimes makes a tight fit depending on which socks I wear. I noticed that the middle buckles are offset to the center from the lower buckles, unlike the Carbide model, which has the middle buckles in line with the lower buckles. If the Privateer model had the same setup, these shoes would probably fit me perfectly.

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Diadora Escape 2

Submitted by Ride-Aid

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2014

Strengths:    Stiffness, comfort, durability

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
These shoes are probably some of the best value shoes on the market. I picked up a pair from Art's Cyclery with their $25 Gift Card with $125 Giro purchase and have zero complaints. They work exactly how they shoed and they look great too. http://www.artscyclery.com/Giro_Privateer_Mountain_Shoes_Black/descpage-GRPMSB.html

Submitted by Ratman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Looks, Stiffness, Fit, Price.

Weaknesses:    Giro size chart was WAAAAAY off (at least for me).

Bottom Line:
I ordered these from Performance Bike during one of their holiday sales after doing a good bit of research on a few different types of MTB shoes. I wear a size 10 in just about every shoe I own so I ordered a size 44.5 after reviewing the Giro/Performance Bike size chart and adjusting for what I thought was a slightly smaller size with the euro shoe spec. The shoes came and my toes were CRAMPED. I took the shoes to my local Performance Bike to exchange and fortunately they happened to have several pair in stock. After trying on several different sizes I settled on a size 46.

So after a few rides (Maryland cold, wet, frozen weather) the shoes still look brand new. The fit is still spot on unlike my Shimano shoes which seemed to have "stretched" after a few rides. IMHO this is an awesome shoe. So awesome in fact, that I'm considering ordering a 2nd pair especially since they can be had so cheap right now.

My best advice: If you can find these on sale pull the trigger on the purchase. Just be prepared to deal with the quirky sizing......

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano AM-51. Various Nike MTB shoes.

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred. Full Shimano XT, 1X9, RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air
Voodoo Bokor. 650B, SS, Shimano XT, Fox F32
Swobo Folsom. Truvativ Stylo, Avid BB7's, Rolf Dolomite Disc

Submitted by fjtort2

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, Comfortable, Value, Design

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any!

Bottom Line:
I raced an entire season with these shoes and lots of trail rides.. They still look brand new! The value and durability is outstanding. If your thinking of these shoes don't hold back!

Submitted by Eirikur

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, comfortable and robust shoe, brilliant design.

Weaknesses:    toebox could be a little bigger is anything.

Bottom Line:
Great product, I will buy from Giro again.

Submitted by BluNunn a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    Much lighter than standard MTB shoes in this price range

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I use spd pedals for both my road and mountain bikes. I got these in white/black for use with my road bike but I've ridden both bikes with them. They are far better shoes than the low level shimano's I've used previously. The soles are very stiff, the toe box is roomy, and they accomodate my wide foot with high instep, (unlike Sidi or Shimano where I have to get extra wide to be able to use the cinch buckle). I am a 10.5 US and I fit the 46 perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville Park

Purchased At:   Campmor

Submitted by Don

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light and comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Excellent value