Home | Reviews | Shoes | Giro

Giro Privateer HV MTB Shoes

Giro Privateer MTB HV Cycling Shoe is a High Volume for the wider foot. One of the great features of the Privateer is it's Zytel outsole. Just about as stiff as any high-dollar carbon composite sole, the DuPont team have specially formulated the materials

Submitted by Forster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2015

Strengths:    Roomy toe box

Weaknesses:    Lacks Arch support

Bottom Line:
It's always tough for me to find shoes that fit, I have a 13 foot but some 48s are too small (none are too large) and generally (although I don't have a wide foot) the toe box can run small and create issues. Having read that the regular Privateer's ran narrow I ordered a pair of the HVs and hoped that they weren't too wide for my D foot. Although they would not cinch-up tight enough with the stock insole, I decided to try a "Sole" brand insole (the thin model) before sending them back. The Sole insole fixed the fit and arch issue resulting in a shoe that fits and supports well with no rubbing or hot spots in the sole. I had just returned a pair of Pearl X-Project 3s that were too short and not comfortable around the ankle, so the privateers extra length and lower ankle cuts were very welcome.

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Campmor

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager's Sidi's Pearl Izumi's

Submitted by Fred a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2013

Strengths:    -Comfortable
-Fits 2E and possibly 4E feet
-Durable build
-Ventilates fairly well
-Built in cleat plate
-Wide velcro and easy to adjust ratchet clamp
-Stiff sole

Weaknesses:    -No rubber on outsole (I dont mind because I understand that mountain biking shoes aren't really supposed to be great walkers)

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these to anyone with wide feet who is looking for a great pair of intermediate level mountain biking shoes. If you want something lighter with a carbon sole, than take a look at the Giro Guage HV. The sole of these (Privateer HV) is very stiff without compromising comfort. I found that it took about three rides with these shoes on to really become comfortable so do not make an assumption about the fit the second you put them on. I wear 2E (and sometimes 4E) width, and these so far are the only mountain biking shoes that I have really liked. As Giro always has, they made a quality, reasonably priced, mountain bike shoe.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge Park