Home | Reviews | Shoes | Gaerne

Gaerne Polar Shoes

Perfectly warm, dry feet, even in rigorous weather conditions. The result of unique manufacturing technology, Polar MTB ensures maximum thermal comfort thanks to its inner made of lamb’s wool and its elasticized collar with Velcro fastener. Three Velcro straps envelope and perfectly insulate the foot.

Submitted by BigWall a Weekend Warrior from White Bear Lake, MN, US

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty waterproof and snowproof. Fairly lightweight.
Comfortable to walk in.
Fairly resistant to snow packing around cleats.

Weaknesses:    Rather narrow and tight.
Slippery on ice.
Too warm in ankle area.
Not warm enough in toe area.

Bottom Line:
My commute is about 1 hour long.
These shoes have been usable down to about 25F with two pairs of socks. At about 20F I get cold toes.
I can use them down to about 15F with one pair of Potenza neoprene overboots.
With two pairs of overboots, I can get down to about 5F before the toes get cold.
I wear a 42 in Shimano and I bought these in size 44. They are a bit tight with two pairs of medium weight socks.
I screwed some hex-head sheet metal screws into a few of the lugs for better ice traction.
These shoes are not warm enough for winters here. It is just not possible to keep my toes warm for 1/2 hr at -20F in these shoes without supplemental heat.
I bought these shoes used and well-worn on ebay and have put thousands of winter miles on them since then. The shoe's structure is holding up fine, but the velcro closures are finally becoming worn out and don't hold all that securely anymore.
I have never gotten wet feet in these shoes, although I usually use neoprene overboots in the rain.

Favorite Trail:   unknown