Five Ten Sam Hill Shoes

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

FiveTen Sam Hill Shoe Built for speed and grip,The new Sam Hill V2 Signature shoes stickTo pedals like burrs. Sam gave up clipless pedals for downhill races—and his choice of FiveTen has helped deliver himToThe podium moreTimesThat you can count. Cut low for flexibility,The Sam Hill’s sport super-sticky Stealth™ S1 soles and a protective PU midsoleThat provides excellentTorsional stability.The Sam Hills have moderately flexible midsoles for on-the-edge control. Note - Does no

Submitted by greg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome shoes! Super tuff, comfortable, and stick to the pedals like glue!

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of...

Bottom Line:
Used to just wear skate shoes, but decided to get something more serious as my skills increased. I love them! Perfect for getting crazy. Tuff enough to take the occasional rock glances. I tried another pair of some other brand before these and the soles ripped off within a week. These suckers are going strong a couple years later!

Favorite Trail:   National at south mtn

Duration Product Used:   2 years min

Purchased At:   Cactus bikes

Bike Setup:   Pivot mach 5.7 carbon

Submitted by Bikesrock a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Very sticky tread to stick to your pedals, looks, comfort, protection

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy but it doesn't matter

Bottom Line:
I just purchased a pair of these shoes from Ebay and I am really impressed with the quality. These are the second pair of flat pedal shoes and they blow my old Nike 6.0's out of the water. Five Ten defiantly makes the highest quality shoes for any kind of Downhill or Freeride rider. These shoes run maybe a half a size small but they fit really good to your foot. If you are on the market for a pair of flat pedal shoes then these would be the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Wilson's Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nike 6.0

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 70

Submitted by Jeo10

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    Sticky, Sturdy, GRIP GRIP GRIP

Weaknesses:    The looks and the weight, but worth it for a shoe that is stickylicious!!

Bottom Line:
After my first ride I was I was blown away by the stickiness of the shoe! You literally feel connected to the bike. Rain or shine gardens or roots your foot simply will not slip!

Submitted by FX4

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Stick to flat pedals like glue. I'm a little old school and prefer flat pedals to clipless so I went in search of the ultimate flat pedal shoe. These have exceeded my expectations. When you plant your foot on the pedal it Stays stuck where you put your foot. They create a wide stable platform. The fairly rigid soles work well to you keep your feet pushing power into the pedal rather than the shoe flexing as is the case with standard athletic shoes. I was a little concerned these would be hot and uncomfortable on a hot day but my worries have proved to be unfounded. A 35 mile ride on a 95 degree day in Florida was a non-issue. I have a wide foot and as suggested by others, purchase your normal size and they should fit. My wide foot slipped into these nicely and they are comfortable. I am very pleased with these shoes, they are like glue on flat pedals.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit loud for my taste.

Bottom Line:
Flat pedal glue!

Submitted by SanDiegoDirt a All Mountain Rider from Vista Ca.

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Sturdy
Stealth Rubber soles

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Ugly?
Can be a little pricey

Bottom Line:
I have never been able to go clip less because of ankle surgery I had many years ago. Prior to getting these I had always used my skate shoes when I rode. Before I bought the Sam Hill, I pretty much thought the 5.10 stuff was just hype. These shoes have sure proven me wrong. If you ride clip less you owe it to yourself to invest in a pair. I have had mine for two years and they have held up great to all kinds on conditions and use.
May be a little heavier than the Impacts. They are not what you would call an attractive shoe, but then again think about what you are buying them for. They are a game changer. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Zappos

Similar Products Used:   Vans, Globe, etc.

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    super sticky and very comfortable

Weaknesses:    local availability to try different sizing

Bottom Line:
i have been riding my bike since jan 2011 with keen sandles (if im not in my work boots, i have keens on). the keens have been excellent, but i decided to get proper shoes. decided on these and i am so glad that i did. there so sticky that you have to actually lift your foot off before you can move it. it really allows you to move the bike around without movement that you would otherwise get. i dont know how i was riding without them.

Bike Setup:   06 norco aline, 09 boxxer team forks, 09 fox dhx 5.0 shock, easton havoc dh rims with maxis minions

Submitted by ZIT30/34 a Cross Country Rider from Cedaredge, Colorado, US

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    Very well designed and very well built. Sticks very well to Drillium pedals, great for carrying the bike and gear over rock fall. Crampons actually work well with this shoe when hiking your bike up and over a snow covered ridge in friggin July.

Weaknesses:    Takes a while to dry these shoes out, but they still stick when wet

Bottom Line:
I have spent up to 15 days wearing only these shoes, carrying the bike and gear over miles of snow and rock fall with little if any slip and they still stick to the Drillium pedals. Unlike hiking shoes and trail running shoes, I have never had a blister with these five ten shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Any horse, goat, sheep, jeep, cow, elk, back country trail

Similar Products Used:   Hiking shoes, trail running shoes, they all sucked compared to the 5.10 Sam Hills

Bike Setup:   Custom frame and build. Designed as 1x9 69er for back country unsupported multi day rides

Submitted by socal_jack a Cross Country Rider from Encinitas, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Very solid construction and fit, been a long time since I've been able to buy a bike shoe even close to my real size. Stealth rubber is holding up amazingly well. Use for both SS and XC/AM MTB riding on flats. Solid hookup.

Weaknesses:    none so far outside of the off-spatz shoe look.

Bottom Line:
Great biking shoe for platforms pedals that wear great and provide solid hookup going down or standing and grinding on the SS.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Bikebling

Similar Products Used:   Numerous

Bike Setup:   SS Gt Peace and RIP9

Submitted by Critter417 a Cross Country Rider from Naples, FL, US

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2010

Strengths:    Like everyone says, they grip like glue! Great workmanship, great customer service. I enjoy biking a lot, but I hate having a foot fly off the pedal and ripping skin open. While wearing these shoes I've never even come close to losing my footing. I thought my Vans were good... I don't even wear those any more. Thouroughly impressed and I like some of their new products coming out which do not appear to be as bulky.

Weaknesses:    Do not make 1/2 sizes beyond 12, which is just what I needed. Exchanged the 12's for a 13 and they're fine but I really have to cinch them up tight. At this size, they look like ski boots on my feet..

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for what they are designed for. I'm trying to wear out this pair so that I can try another! Would never entertain clip-ins now.. By far the best biking related purchase I've made this year.

Favorite Trail:   Any, at this point

Purchased At:   5.10

Similar Products Used:   Vans, Asolo hiking boots

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F7, pretty much stock.

Submitted by auratone25 a Weekend Warrior from Flagler Fl

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Strengths:    The difference between my vans and the 5/10 are a night and day difference. I would of never guessed that the sticky compound would be that much better. Where you put your foot is where your foot stays until you lift your foot to reposition. I feel like I get more of a push and pull effect

Weaknesses:    not sure. They are a little boxy.

Bottom Line:
If you ride flats and use a normal shoe to ride in. Make the change. This is the smartest investment I've made for my riding. This is my first pair and I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Graham Swamp Alafia Santos

Purchased At:   AJ's bikeshop

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by OMNICELLL a Weekend Warrior from Walla Walla ,Wa,USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    look great.. Strong tuff... grip like a monkey to a gum tree.. They breath well in 85 degrees. I may not need sandals this summer...

Weaknesses:    Kind of boxy feeling, Im used to them now.. A bit heavy I think.... Just takes time to get used to them.... Rubber compound sticks so well to flats, you have to lift your foot from the peddle to change foot direction...

Bottom Line:
A battle tuff shoe.. What a surprise...!!! strong, built like a tank, worth every penny... and it breaths in warm weather..
Grips in every direction... Nothing like it on the market... I checked around.. Every review for flat peddle shoes had one name.. 5 10.. Their OK for walking... I had to get used to them... Their not like a Nike or basket ball shoe...

Very strong ridged flat base... perfect for Urban Free riding... ....!!! Im already looking at collecting other 5 10's...

THey are worth the money.. You will see when their sitting in front of you... or gliding your bike over an obstacle..

Favorite Trail:   S Fork Blue Mountains OR

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Older skate shoesI Nothing compares to a 5 10.

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant Reign x\ Rock Shock Domain 180 mm \SLX\Mag 30's-Hope bulbs/azonic stem- downhill bar-peddles/Race Face seatpost/Panaracer rampage. Terry saddle. Oury grips... / BB7's

Submitted by brakesdontwinraces a Downhiller from Golden, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Rubber sole is supper grippy. Seem well made, thick padding around hell cup and toungue. I have the ones with the wc stripse and they have some snake skin pattern around the laces which is cool. I usually wear clip ins but for rough courses flats pedals are the way to go and these shoes stick to flat pedals like crazy. Sole stiffness is decent, if it were any stiffer they wouldn't walk, hike, very well.

Weaknesses:    A lot of room in the toe box. Go half size above what you'd normally wear they run small.

Bottom Line:
Great shoe, even better if you can score a cheap deal online!

Favorite Trail:   if I told ya I'd have to kill ya