Five Ten Maltese Falcon Shoes

Whether you're clipped in for a ripping DH run, running flats on a dirt jumper, or learning to ride dirt and need some versatile kicks to grow into, the Five Ten Maltese Falcon Shoe fits the bill.One-piece Stealth S1 Rubber sole for shock absorption and maximum traction on pedals and terra firmaStiff midsole provides pedaling support and power transfer without hindering freedom of movementDensely padded ankle support and external heel counter for added stability and impact protectionAbrasion-resistant action leather upper for off-road durability

Submitted by endlesstrails a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    - Good looking shoe
- Comfortable for walking
- Five Ten's excellent sticky rubber soles

Weaknesses:    - Too flexible!

Bottom Line:
I am disappointed with these shoes. I had hoped that they would be the best of both worlds, combining a great platform pedal shoe that can click in as well. I paired them with set of Crank Bros. Mallets. The problem is that the shoe lacks torsional rigidity, so when you twist your foot to click out, it bends and deforms. I was using the the shortest (15 degree) release angle on my cleats, but getting it to release consistently and reliably wasn't happening. It's like yanking on a socket wrench that has a rubber handle.

The lack of stiffness also tires out your feet and calves over long distances or big climbs. In one section of the Flying Dog trail, the route climbs 2000 feet over nine miles. My feet were tired and aching far more than they would have been in my previous, stiffer shoes. When things tipped back downhill, my calves ached from the effort of keeping my feet from folding around the pedals.

I have a pair of Five Ten's excellent Impact Low shoes, and I'd recommend them over these for platform pedals. For clipless, however, I've learned that one needs the all over stiffness of an XC type shoe, so I'll be shopping for some of those. I'll just have to swap out my pedals before each ride, depending on where I'm going.

Purchased At:   go-ride.com

Submitted by ATXZJ

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable on and off the bike and retains a bombproof construction that will last through whatever you can dish out. Work well with aggressive platform and shimano SPD by using a slightly stiffer sole with two adjustable bosses and a recessed cleat.

Weaknesses:    These shoes do not breath and because of this your feet will be screaming hot on longer/hot trailrides.

Bottom Line:
I'm somewhat new to mountainbiking and was running canfield platform pedals on my bike with regular tennis shoes. When it came time to buy a set of shoes, i didn't want spd-only, aggressive mountain bike shoes because I might want to continue on with platforms for a while and liked the idea of being able to hike around on rides. I purchased the maltese from amazon for around 120.00 with shipping and was very pleased with the construction and comfort of the shoe. I used them on a local downhill trail the first time out with platforms and was stoked because of the grip and power i was able to apply. The next ride I switched to my spd pedals and they worked well with the shimano trail design pedal and was able to clip in and out easily. The only reason I am giving these a 3 in overall as the same quality that makes them a tough shoe also makes them extremely hot when riding longer trails in the summer. They do not breath at all. There are no holes for ventilation on the shoe and can make riding very uncomfortable. This shoe is better suited for riders of fixie/city or downhill applications or areas where the temps are not too warm.

Favorite Trail:   winsor

Duration Product Used:   one month

Purchased At:   Amazon prime

Bike Setup:   S/C full suspension

Submitted by mechanixhorseman

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Five ten stealth rubber is great for unclipped and off the bike. Recessed cleat mount means a comfortable hike home if you break down in the middle of nowhere. Don't look ridiculous walking around outside of bike park. Five Ten quality. About as comfortable as bike shoes get.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. I wasn't as fortunate as the other reviewer and the cheapest I could find these for was $130 on Amazon.

Bottom Line:
I bought these after my Five Ten Impacts were retired after almost 4 years of everyday use from everything to rock climbing to MTB to casual use. These are my first clipless shoes, but after seeing some of the other crazy shoes people wear just to go clipless I couldn't imagine anything else. These don't look like clown shoes and the they are incredibly comfortable. Did I mention you can walk like a normal person in them?

The brand is spendy but what bike shoes aren't? If they prove to be anything like my impacts they will last for years.

Submitted by kyle_vk

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff sole yet still comfortable, easy to adjust the cleat, good grip when not clipped in, fit true to size for me.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm shocked to see these don't get more love. I'm a novice, just really started to get out regularly this year and wanted to try out clipless. I'm not a racer, i don't really care about my times...i'm just out there to have fun. With that said, these shoes are absolutely perfect. First off they are comfy, the fit almost like my normal shoes but with a stiffer sole. They clip in easy with my shimano cleats and have enough grip to unclip on any sections that i want to be free on. Best yet is i can ride them into town and wear them around wherever i want without sliding all over the place, most people never even look twice. For anyone who's looking to try clipless but isn't trying to be lance, give these a shot. For the $99 i paid at pricepoint they are hard to beat. If you're looking at racing they're are better options out there...but for someone like me who rides single tracks and dreams about downhill...they're a great mix.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar w/ shimano m520's

Five Ten Maltese Falcon as sticky as Impacts?

If they are why not get the maltese falcons and have a shoe that will run SPD's as well? Any help would be great!Read More »

5.10 Maltese Falcon

I thought this should be it's own thread. Has anyone used the clipless feature on the 5.10 Maltese Falcons? I own a pair and these suckers grab my pedals and when hiking steep inclines. I was wondering if anyone has used them with clipless pedals because I am interested in trying the out. And if ... Read More »

ot: maltese falcon pics

Happened to be in Napa over the weekend visting my dad, he says we gotta go check out this big ass boat thats coming in to sf bay , so we then drive to SF and hop on his buddies catamaran and go sailing. These are a few of the photos we got dads friends other boat, adventure cat 2 [img]http: ... Read More »