Five Ten Karver Shoes

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

The Five Ten Men?s Impact Karver Bike Shoes provide the grip of Stealth S1 rubber, extra mid-top protection on the inside of your ankle, and a cover to keep your laces from getting sucked into your chain. Basically, these shoes are all you need to crush a nasty freeride trail or leave your friends gawking during an urban assault. No matter your style of riding, these Five Ten shoes rule as long as you?ve learned the advantage of flats.

Submitted by jnicosia a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Strengths:    Heavy duty !

Weaknesses:    Very heavy and too big

Bottom Line:
Picked up a new pair of Karvers after reading the prior reviews . I wanted to go with pinD platforms and Karvers after way to many accidents with clip ins . I love trail riding with my new shimano platforms but I was very disappointed in the FiveTen Karvers . These had great traction and stuck to the pedal very well. They are also heavy and make your feet very hot and sweaty . These Karvers are huge and I don't get any pedal feel . I guess it's my fault though because Five ten made these for DH and I see how they would perform for DH riding. If I was a DH rider I definitely buy these however, I am an all mountain rider .

My salomon XA 3D GTX works better for me . There breathable and waterproof with Goretex and with my longish shimano platform pins I get the same traction with good pedal feel .

Bought these at a great price $90 @backcountry and I love shopping there . They allowed me to return the FiveTen Karvers eventhough I tried them out. I cleaned them like new and exchanged them for another pair of salomon 3D GTX

Favorite Trail:   Trexler wildlife preserve in Pennsylvania

Duration Product Used:   2 all mountain rides

Purchased At:   Backcountry.com

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3 with custom goodies

Submitted by Rat S Rectum a Cross Country Rider from Rifle, Colorado, US

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2012

Strengths:    This shoe is a great winter shoe for back country riding. The sole and uppers will even take crampons when crossing steep ice/snow slopes carrying the bike and stealth rubber grips very well when carrying the bike over/through boulder gardens

Weaknesses:    This is a stretch but ----- they take a long time to dry out. The shoe is a little warm for summer riding.

Bottom Line:
I use this shoe in the winter and 5.10 Sam Hills in the summer. The Karver is a great shoe and sticks fast to Speedplay Drilliums even when wet.

With the unique flap to cover the laces snow does not build up on the shoe and freeze. The shoe offers good protection for your foot and is even comfortable to walk in and as I mentioned above the sole and uppers are durable and stiff enough to wear crampons for short distances.

With the Speedplay pedals this shoe allows me to pull up/back on the rising portion of the crank stroke almost as far as my clipless yet allows me to put a foot down very quickly in ice/slick snow conditions when wheels start to slide out from under you. This shoe has great traction when carrying the bike over rock fall and the like.

Bottom line, this is a great shoe for back country work both riding and carrying the bike. I know its a downhill shoe and I do ride down hills, some pretty darn steep, I just don't ride that fast but the Karver's still work great even as slow as I ride

I give it 5 for value because the shoe works so well both on the Speedplays and on the ground. I give it a 5 for overall rating because this shoe performs so well for me in snow and wet even on multi day winter rides. With a goretex sock I have ridden this shoe at temperatures down to minus 10 degrees F and have had no problems with cold or wet feet.

Favorite Trail:   Back country

Purchased At:   5.10 online

Similar Products Used:   Various clipless and hiking shoes

Bike Setup:   Custom built aluminum rigid 69r with carbon fork

Submitted by MTB Pilot a Downhiller from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, Stiff, Very protective

Weaknesses:    HOT!!!

Bottom Line:
Great shoe. Sticks to all of my flats very well; Sometimes a little too much. Great protection for the inside of the ankle and my whole foots from the jagged rocks of the Southwest. If I'm doing a lot of climbing or it is above 90 degrees my feet burn up!! Great show for descending on cooler days.

Favorite Trail:   National, The Whole Enchilada

Bike Setup:   Remedy 9.9, Session 88

Submitted by Demo8Man a Downhiller from Portland OR.

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, looks, and comfy!

Weaknesses:    A little warm in the summer. Grips to good some times. Is that a weakness?

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfy, gripping and good looking shoe out there.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Demo 8, Fox 40, RC4 shox, Hadley hubs, Mavic 829 Tubeless,
2011 Code brakes, Chris King Headset and BB.

Submitted by sqrle a Downhiller from Whistler BC Canada

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    strong laces, super grippy soles

Weaknesses:    not sure if this is classified as a weakness but it takes a good day to get used to how well these shoes grip. Made me crash once when trying to adjust a foot

Bottom Line:
Completely satisified with my purchase, now I understand why I see 80% of people at the Whistler Bike Park with 5-10 shoes. It took me a full day to get used to the way they grip so well. I was used to shoes that didn't grip. Now I need to pay attention more to where my initial foot placement is becauswe it is much harder to adjust your foot when biking. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a bad thing. When you put your feet on the pedals, they stay put. They also have a lace guard to so theere is no worry of a lace getting caught up in your drivetrain. Overall, very beefy shoe with super tacky sole that won't slip. If you can afford them, get them, you won't regret it

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Evolution Whistler