Five Ten Impact Shoes

4.86/5 (43 Reviews)

For the Impact 2 and Impact 2 high, the collar and Raptor tongue patterns were refined, plus slingshot construction at the heel locks the foot down for a secure and comfortable fit from heel to toe. Reflective silver accents will pop for all those rock star photo shoots. Action leather upper material for lightweight, all-season durability and Stealth S1 outsoles for high friction and shock absorption.

Submitted by endlesstrails

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2012

Strengths:    Sole design and material adheres to pedals like fly paper.
Wrap around tongue prevents any bunching and prevents any slipping around inside the shoe.
Good padding and side protection

Weaknesses:    Semi-high padding can irritate ankle bones - if you're like me and have a weird ankle bone.

Bottom Line:
This shoe is awesome in so many respects. It is acceptably stiff for riding, yet comfortable for walking. The soft rubber soles grip supremely. Combined with the effective sole pattern, these shoes will not move when paired with a quality flat pedal.

Just for fun, I took my kid's bike for a spin with its cheapo plastic flats. These shoes held tightly against the smooth plastic ridges on the edges of the pedals and I was able to bunny hop it with ease (though I must have looked ridiculous).

The only reservation I've had with the shoe has been declining as they've worn in. The mid high ankle padding pressed tightly against my inside ankle bones. I'm unusual in this respect in that I have relatively low ankle bones, and this has been an issue for me in certain ski boots, skates and hiking shoes. Fortunately, the padding has broken in nicely and its not a problem anymore. If you understand what I mean about the ankle bones, you may wish to opt for the high top version of this shoe. I've decided that I'm keeping these.

Submitted by Lew242 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Support, comfort, protection, grip.

Bottom Line:
The Impact lows are really grippy, about 30% grippier than a 5/10 free ride shoe. They suit me perfectly as I ride hard and I need to hike-a-bike so cannot clip in easily and I like the extra grippiness and protection over the free ride shoe. So good they are nearly good enough to be a walking shoe too. I like to pedal a lot so I don't want the high top version which might be better for dh riders.

Similar Products Used:   5/10 free ride scribble, 5/10 freeride red baron.

Bike Setup:   AM/FR

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing grip, Rigid, comfortable, durable, high quality materials, reasonably priced.

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for a great platform shoe to try out and I read the reviews on here which led me to decide to try these out. I'm glad I did because they live up to all the hype and praise that people give them. The grip is unrelenting and you will stick to your pedals just like you're clipped in, its amazing. You even get the lift that people in clips always brag about why their clips are better than flats. They're comfortable enough to wear around the house too and they grip when walking up a steep trail unlike the clip in cleats. They offer great protection too which was a must for me in a flat. They fit snug so get a size up. I normally wear a 10-10 1/2 and I bought an 11.

Favorite Trail:   Big Rock

Purchased At:   Big Ring Cyclery La

Bike Setup:   2010 Enduro Comp. hammerschmidt cranks, X0 drivetrain.

Submitted by TheAllCreator

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Super grippy, uber comfortable, stiff thick soles.

Weaknesses:    Pretty much none.

Bottom Line:
I decided to buy some of these on my friends reccomendation, after tearing a hole in the sole of my cheap skate shoes. I wish I had lashed out and bought these as soon as I bought my first proper flat pedal MTB. They are just the perfect design for flat pedal riding. I ride DJ and DH, and some minor trail riding. Issues I'd had with other shoes were thin soles, causing much discomfort over rough DH courses. These shoes have stiff, thick soles, which solve the problem. I spent 3 hrs riding on flat trais the other day, and they performed excellently. no blisters, no rubbing, no sore feet. Immensly grippy. As in, you have no idea... If you run flat pedals, stop reading reviews. You will find no better shoes for the job. Go to a store, try some on, and buy them.

Submitted by The-Ox a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, durability, comfort

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a true "game changer" for those who are just using skate shoes with platforms. Not only do these stick to your pedals like glue with the stealth rubber and a very firm sole, but they built them to be bullet proof AND comfortable. Even when you have to hike-a-bike the stealth rubber sticks to any terrain better than most hiking shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Joplin

Similar Products Used:   Thicker tongued Vans & Etnies. Hi-Tec hiking shoes

Bike Setup:   Kona Wah Wahs on my 2012 Stumpy FSR 29'er

Submitted by javelina1 a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Incredible grip! I was recommended these shoes, to use with platforms. They stick like hot tar. Incredible. I find them to be very comfortable. I was looking for a good solution, to move beyond clipless. Clipless is great for those who want to use it, but I really was wanting to change over to platforms. I'm using these shoes with the Wellgo MG-1's.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at this point.

Bottom Line:
Awesome shoe. Highly recommended for platforms. Grip like hot tar!

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Loop

Purchased At:   Zappo's

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD shoes with the cleats on Time ATAC pedals.

Bike Setup:   2005 Titus Switchblade, XT 8speed (old school), Fox Talas front and back, Mavic 719 rims, Panaracers, tubes, tuffy liners (no flats for 1,000+ miles), Thomson stem/seat post, CK headset, Wellgo MG-1 pedals, BB7 front and back

Submitted by stangbang a Weekend Warrior from stl

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Grip and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Not the most attractive...

Bottom Line:
Maybe the best accessory for MTB that I have bought. Made me a better rider. No more feet bouncing off the pedals.

Favorite Trail:   bittersweet

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Skate shoes

Bike Setup:   EX 8 with Wellgo MG1 pedals.

Submitted by ts818 a Downhiller from rhode island

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Strengths:    Grip is unbeatable... almost too much

Weaknesses:    The toe isn't as reinforced as they claim it to be, but no big deal

Bottom Line:
Bought these because I had poor pedals and beat shoes. When i got them I thought they were amazing. But when I demoed a bike with fresh pedals, i thought these were unbelievable. Your glued to the pedal just like they say, have to pull your foot off to readjust on pedal. (This makes you a better rider as well) They have a loop to hold your laces, they're durable, tight around the ankle so that **** from the trail never gets inside, comfy, awesome. Don't know what more you need.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Rigid Single

Submitted by PeloNZ a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Grip extremely well to the pedals
Reasonable traction for walking slopes or slop
Versatile for all styles of riding

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable off the bike
Heavy
Ugly
Be careful with the laces vs. chainring

Bottom Line:
I use these shoes with chunky flat pedals on all my rides, including any XC racing I do.
With a decent set of pedals you can't put a foot wrong while wearing 5Tens.

Favorite Trail:   Taupo Craters

Similar Products Used:   trainers, skate shoes, lightweight hiking boots

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X2

Submitted by Fletch 1 a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable fit, good quality and priced about right. The have very sturdy bottoms that wear like iron, I wear these things several times a week for hours at a time and they still show no signs of wear.

Weaknesses:    There a little heavy but I'm afraid if they were lighter they wouldn't be as durable.

Bottom Line:
I use mine with Azonic Accelerator platform pedals and they provide such good bite and support that I seldom even think about my feet slipping of the pegs. My feet stay stuck like I am clipped in!

Favorite Trail:   T100

Purchased At:   Hucknroll

Similar Products Used:   Vans

Bike Setup:   Epic 29er

Submitted by fishxpig a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    Good protection, well made and insane grip.

Weaknesses:    I personally would only request an insole with more support, but that is a highly personal observation. I haven't seen another comment on the insole, so it's prolly just me.

Bottom Line:
Someone complained about the stiffness of the sole, but I like that on these, coz yer foot doesn't wrap around the pedal. The grip is truly what everyone says: amazing. I haven't worn these long, but I think they are going to last a long time. Very well made shoe. I am a very luck guy, got mine for $29.95-clearance at Sport Chalet. I ran out the door with these shoes afraid they were going to wise up and change the price. Outstanding shoe for when you are running flats.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   etnies,
vans

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar and Tarpon, the Tarpon usually being the one I usually run the flats on.

Submitted by pulpwoody a Weekend Warrior from austin, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, grippy, solid, perfect.

Weaknesses:    None. Seriously, none.

Bottom Line:
Okay, everything that is written about these shoes is totally true. I've been riding flat pedals for about two weeks now. I bought a pair of Fox Addition shoes thinking that Fox would certainly make a pair of riding shoes that would grip the pedals.

WRONG!

So after some looking around, it seemed like 5 10 were the only way to go. I borrowed a pair from a buddy today and

HOLY SMOKES!!!!

If you are going to run flat pedals, don't screw around and buy some of these. Remember, you get what you pay for, and these shoes are the real deal, and worth the money.

When I read other reviews, riders would talk about how they felt "clipped in" with these shoes. Well, my first thought was that was quite an exaggeration, but let me tell you, it's not. At all. I literally felt clipped in the whole day, it was great, and validated my decision to try flat pedals.

If you're going to ride flats, get these shoes NOW! Don't worry about the price, because it's money well spent.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Addition, my running shoes, Merrill hiking shoes.

Submitted by Sacha Murnieks a Downhiller from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, the grip on the pedals - AMAZING!!!

Weaknesses:    None major as of yet. The width of the shoe is I'm sure many people say, is too wide for their preference, but it doesn't bother me.

Bottom Line:
Believe the hype. This shoe is simply amazing. The perfect shoe for flat pedals. I can't ask for anything else. The grip on the pedals is like glue, even on my old stock dirtjumping pedals with which the pins were almost completely worn off and round. No joke. There is 100% guarantee you will be satisfied with this shoes grip on the pedals. These shoes are well worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   Pacific Park

Purchased At:   The BikeShed Mortdal

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare!

Bike Setup:   Giant DH Comp 2005 frame, Trutative Holzfeller Direct Mount Stem, Jetblack pedals, Avid Juicy Brakes, ODI grips, Trutative Hussefelt cranks, Halo rims, Maxxis Minions tyres, 2008 Boxxer Race forks, SRAM X9 Shifter and Derailleur

Submitted by zepp3lin a Weekend Warrior from Lion City

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Excelent

Weaknesses:    Inner a bit hard, but with proper socks all are ok. Don't wear it without socks. Price wise a bit expensive for a
Made In China Shoes. No doubt it's a quality product but if the manufacturing is in China, 5.10 can actually bring the price down because workmanship in China is Cheap. Maybe they should move it to Vietnam it's even cheaper down there.

Bottom Line:
Excelent! Buy it for Offroad riding. Works like a Sticky Matt.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere