Five Ten Freerider Shoes

3.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Some like to attract attention with their personal stylings, and for them, there's the Blue Zebra. However, if you like to let your riding tell your tale, then the Five Ten Freerider Shoe in black/grey will do the trick. The understated colors will help you keep a low profile, that is, until you tailwhip over the big double at your local dirt jump spot and stick the pedals for a perfect landing.Five Ten's Stealth Rubber was developed for rock climbing shoes. As such, it has excellent gription which makes it super easy to keep your feet on the pedals. Just think, no shinburger for dinner... again. It's also super durable. It had to be tough for climbing shoes to suffer the wear and tear from hard granite cliffs for days on end. The Freerider Shoes may just have a tougher job. They have to endure the prodding from the metal spikes on your pedals all day, but the Stealth Rubber can take it. Five Ten Stealth Rubber soles will outlast the gum rubber sole on a conventional skate shoe every time and stick better to your pedals all the while. The Freerider Shoe has all the style that you want and the bomber sole that you need to land big tricks without blowing your feet. The grey panels on the upper are made of brushed nubuck leather. The toe box is reinforced to provide added protection if you lose it in mid-air. And one of the coolest details is the California license plate on the back of the heel.The Five Ten Freerider Shoe is available in Black/Grey, Red/Black, Red/Grey, and Orange/Grey and comes in half sizes from 4 - 12 and whole sizes 13 and 14.

Submitted by Sal a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    GRIP, GRIP, GRIIIIPPPP
Beefy construction to protect ur footsies
Durability.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and they cut off the circulation to my foot if tied any more than moderately snug.

Bottom Line:
FiveTen started as climbing shoes so they definitely know grip. Easily one of the best ways to improve your riding! These shoes stick to the pedals!! No twisting or sliding or anything. Sometimes I even found myself riding with just the toes on the pedals after a particularly dicey maneuver but they held on until I could readjust. I'm superbly impressed and would definitely recommend these.

Duration Product Used:   2 Days

Similar Products Used:   Running shoes...so...none

Bike Setup:   Foes Weasel

Submitted by KogKiller a Weekend Warrior from DFW, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    -Excellent stitching
-Like all the other reviews, these are the ultimate in grip and style
-Reasonable price
-They look very durable with thick canvas and grippy yet thick sole.
-As comfortable as the typical skate shoe, maybe more

Weaknesses:    -Wide sides due to the cushioning (Wide around the shoe, not a wide fit)

Bottom Line:
I bought the FiveTen Freerider w/ Wellgo b103 Pedals at pricepoint, that's why I paid a little extra. It's totally worth the price IMO.

I read dozens of reviews before purchasing. The biggest complaint I came across was that the sole would that the stitching around the sole would start to come loose and detach. Most people would fix this with a bit of super glue. To my surprise, the pair I received must be a new revised version. The sole wraps around the bottom of the shoe, similarly like the fiveten impact shoes. From my understanding, that was the only major con keeping this shoe from being the beast it's meant to be. Hopefully with the revised version I received I could expect a couple years from aggressive trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar Wilderness Trail

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Vans Authentic, DC Skate Shoes

Bike Setup:   2011 GT Aggressor 2.0

Submitted by jmeldrum26 a Weekend Warrior from Hood River, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    The Stealth rubber sole is provides amazing grip when used with a proper flat pedal. The fit is perfect and they look good off the bike as well as on.

Weaknesses:    Cant really think of anything other than that they could be a bit less bulky, perhaps lighter.

Bottom Line:
5.10 Stealth rubber is what every flat pedal mountain biker needs to have on the bottom of their feet.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Similar Products Used:   BMX shoes, Vans, Nike Air Whistler

Bike Setup:   All-Mountain

Submitted by lew242 a Downhiller from UK and China

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, but not too much, good in hot and cold weather, better than skate shoes for walking up hills, some ankle support. Can be worn out in the evenings.

Weaknesses:    Come apart at seams and get worn on the soles eventually maybe after a year or more.

Bottom Line:
(Some of the reviews on here are fishy. Too many in too short a time. Another manufacturer is advertising a similar shoe by 'coincidence').

I bought these exactly a year ago, and I ride 3-6 days a week and they have slowly worn down and the soles have lost their grip and there is a split on a seam, but consider the amount of work these have done riding waling and kicking rocks off the trails, it's worth it, I'll buy another pair or maybe try the Sam Hills.

Similar Products Used:   Skate shoes

Bike Setup:   AM/FR

Submitted by ehigh a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent grip
My foot does not sweat/get swamp foot like I had expected (I use to ride in running shoes that had lots of ventilation and I fear switching over would create sweat problems, but they didn't!)
Mildly comfortable
Although style shouldn't be a major factor when buying shoes for mountain biking, they do look better than the 5. 10 Impact shoes.

Warranties on the stitching coming undone could potentially be helpful

Weaknesses:    They aren't the best for when you have to walk your bike up a part of the mountain. When I had to walk up mountains, I preferred the running shoes I had more but I realize I have to make some compromises as the grip these shoes have is incredible.
They're comfortable on the insides and I haven't ever had majorly sore feet, but I have considered getting a sole insert.

Bottom Line:
These are great shoes! I was going to get the Impact shoes from 5 10 but my LBS was out of my size and I was rather impatient on waiting so I asked to see the Freerider shoes and I don't regret buying these at all!
I've seen reviews of the stitching coming undone, but there are warranties.
I've heard of the shoe rubbing on the cranks, but I don't have this problem.
Some people have decided to take the cotton out of the shoes, but I don't have a reason to do this. I like these shoes a lot!

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita

Similar Products Used:   Nike Running shoes and regular skate shoes

Bike Setup:   Straitline Platform Pedals on my Norco Range 3. Those pedals and these shoes are some serious grip.

Submitted by Tim-H a Weekend Warrior from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Ridiculous grip
Comfortable
Warm in cold weather, comfortable in hot
When the shoe gets wet from riding in the mud you can't even tell.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I used to swear by clipless, I thought it was the best way to stay connected to the pedal. I had a few friends tell me I needed to try platforms again with some quality pedals. I decided to buy some platform specific shoes to go with and the freeriders looked great. I wont ever go back to clipless for "AM" or light FR/DH riding now.

Some of the others said there were quality issues with the shoe. I haven't had a problem and I've beat the hell out of them/soaked them in mud. They dried as quick as any other shoe and after I cleaned them with a wet paper towel they still look brand new.

Another reviewer said they don't make them anymore. I'm not sure where that information came from but they're still on the 5-10 website and store(a month later). I have heard there were previous revisions with lower quality rubber. Maybe they improved the shoe as a whole. I'd definitely buy them again.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   First platform specific, was a clipless user until I decided to try these.

Bike Setup:   140mm AM Hardtail

Submitted by DirtyMartini a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, great grip on pedals. look good

Weaknesses:    poor manufactoring. the stitching came apart after only about 6 rides leaving a huge hole in the toe. Sent back to 5.10 under warranty. They don't make it any more but at least they're owning the bad product and will refund.

Bottom Line:
If someone wants to give you a pair for free, then okay, but don't expect these shoes to put up with any kind use other than maybe tooling around in the mall.

Favorite Trail:   ATT

Purchased At:   ChainLove

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from HI

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy!!
And no I wouldn't say "too" grippy.

Weaknesses:    The shoe is too puffy aournd the ankle. I had to open a slit and pull all the stuffing out around the ankle so I could pedal without interference. I've never even had crank rub on any other shoe.
The rubber around the toe cap catches on the crank. One side is completely ripped off my shoe. Also, have never had this problem with any other shoe I've had.
Besides the sole, nothing much good about them. Basically a cheap puffed up Walmart skate shoe with a much better sole.

Bottom Line:
They've got the sole. But the rest of the shoe is absolutley dissapointing.
Every other 5.10 I've looked at seems to share all of the same poor design qualities.

Find something else out there with a grippy sole. Or get grippier pedals and go with a Van's Rowley or Gravel.

Similar Products Used:   Vans Rowleys.

Bike Setup:   Freeride

Submitted by mbrennwa a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    grip on platform pedals is great

Weaknesses:    They quickly soak up tons of water in wet conditions. And it takes ages to dry them. Also, grip is bad if you need to walk in difficult trail. And, findally: laces on bike shoes? WTF? Laces just don't go well with chains and chainrings.

Bottom Line:
Great grip on pedals, but not really a bike shoe.

Favorite Trail:   where my bike goes

Purchased At:   online store

Submitted by eruizela a Downhiller from Los Angeles Ca USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    I used these shoes for 90 days, they fell apart fast today.

3) great grip

Weaknesses:    I used these shoes for 90 days, they fell apart fast today.

Things I did not like.

1) poor torsional rigidity, too much twist.
2) toe area, not enough protection when banged on rocks.
3) sole flexed too much
4) sole too thin

Bottom Line:
I used these shoes for 90 days, they fell apart fast today.

Things I did not like.

1) poor torsional rigidity, too much twist.

2) toe area, not enough protection when banged on rocks.

3) sole flexed too much

4) sole too thin

Ive had my Five 10 Impacts for 2 1/2 years, Much better performing model.

Favorite Trail:   Butcher- Downieville