Five Ten Cyclone Freeride SPD Shoes

You prefer that clipped-in connection ? but, when it comes time to push, traditional hard-plastic soles do nothing in terms of walking comfort. Enter the Five Ten Cyclone Shoe, which merges cleat compatibility seamlessly with highly respected Stealth rubber sole and a supportive leather high-top upper.

Submitted by chilly79 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Great if you can't get clipped in. Sticks to your pedal anyway
Great support

Weaknesses:    The bottom is fragile.
Not all that stiff compared to other SPD shoes in this price range.

Bottom Line:
I got these because I have a HUGE instep. No Velcro shoe fits me well. The high top was needed for ankle support. I have issues since I was born with two clubbed feet. Surgery to fix it was 30 years ago so yeah the support is welcomed.
I loved these and would have given them 5 stars until both shoes broke.
I had a lot of pain on the bottom of my foot and took the cleat off. Broke right through the middle of the holes. So the cleat was coming through my shoe. No wonder it hurt. It was the first time I had actually looked that close to it but the last was really thin. Half the size of any other shoe I had. I knew it was flexy which is why I use candy pedals for a little platform but this was unexpected.
Also the bottom of the shoes had been coming off for a while. Separating from the last. I could almost pull the last out like it was an insert but there is something holding it in near the toes I can't see. But the rest is completely separated from the shoe. I give it a two because it did work great for almost a year.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Lake, Sidi, Shimino

Bike Setup:   2009 Epic, Reba Fork, Stans Flow with Hope hubs, SLX Crank, X9-9 speed gears, XT Hydros, Brooks C-17 saddle.

Submitted by osmarandsara a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good ankle support. Stiff sole. Sticky stealth rubber sole.

Weaknesses:    Can feel hot on a warm day and the shoes can feel heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have the Cyclones.....they are very stiff, almost as stiff as my XC-Shimano. The sole is the same Stealth rubber they use on their other shoes like the samhills.....

I got them because I needed a high-top shoe to protect an injured ankle. Also currently I ride the Cyclones on a platform pedal (DMR) on the injured ankle and ride the other foot using an spd (yeah people give me funny looks)

When my ankle heals up, I'm gonna go SPDs 100% of the time on both sides.

I would say for occasional platform riding, these shoes are good enough if you have good pedals. Obviously a very aggresive pedal (with sharp pins) will stick better than other pedals . I don't have to remove the cleat when I switch to platforms and they stick just fine. Note because these shoes are hollow in the center of the sole, they will not stick as well as a SamHill so don't compare apples to oranges.

The Stealth sole on these shoes give you good grip for hike a bikes or if you have to walk across wet or slippery rocks like on stream crossings. Way better for scrambling on uneven ground compared to those light-weight XC style shoes like SIDIs, etc. However, the Cyclones are too stiff if you plan on using these shoes for every-day (non-bike use) .

Lastly, when I first wore them they felt hot compared to my XC Shimano shoes...I got used to the feel and its not really an issue any more. Also you will need to cut away with a utility knife the small square on the sole to reveal the holes for the SPD attachment......there is no removable covering like some other shoes I have had...no big deal but I had to figure this out since the shoes did not come with any instructions.

Favorite Trail:   SART (CA) Bootleg Canyon (NV)

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Full suspension 5 1/2 inch trail bike.