Home | Reviews | Shoes | Duegi

4.18/5 (22 Reviews)

Duegi Shoes

Submitted by Ronsonic a Cross Country Rider from Sunny Tampa, Florida

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    Classic rugged bike shoe with traction, spikes and a stiff sole that eventually breaks in and becomes comfortable. Feels like it will wear like iron. Don't look like Power Rangers should wear them. Walk very well for being as stiff as they are. I bought them for cyclocross and they worked great last season, and will be much better this year.

Weaknesses:    It takes a good long while to break in. Not real fond of the laces and cover approach.

Bottom Line:
A leather shoe that breaks in the way leather bike shoes did back in the day when they were all made of leather. Ended up riding them wet on purpose to get a fit, old school.

The leather is a mixed thing. Doesn't breath as good as mesh, but a lot better than the synthetic stuff. Doesn't feel too hot or cold.

They'll probably never make 'em like this again. I expect I'll be wearing them for a long time to come.

Favorite Trail:   Misery at Morris Bridge

Purchased At:   Nashbar blowout sale

Similar Products Used:   Assorted Specialized and Gaerne bike shoes

Bike Setup:   Using these with Shimano SPDs

Submitted by dan K a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Well, my Duegi Lightnings finally died after, oh, about 6 years. They were bombproof, comfortable and flashy. The buckles finally just gave out and the shoes screamed, "No mas, no mas."

Weaknesses:    The buckles let loose sometimes on extended hike-a-bike sections.

Bottom Line:
A highend shoe that lasted many, many years. Not a big marketing company, although they did try a run at all the sponsored teams and mag ads a few years ago. They fit my feet and I got my money's worth year after year.

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Bike Setup:   I have two feet and 11 toes.

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Burnaby, B.C.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
light

Weaknesses:
poor quality design and materials

Bottom Line:
These are easily the worst quality shoes I have ever had. The closures came apart and the adjustment buckle will not hold tension. Junk.

1 Year

Submitted by Adam a Cross-Country Rider from Buffalo, New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
These shoes are sweet. They are great in the winter, they don't have any mesh. They have a stiff sole and good traction. I got 'em on Sale at Nashbar for $56.99. They fit very well, they are good for wide feet. The colors (black and red)are very easy on the eyes. The stiff tongue takes some getting used to.

6 months

Submitted by Mountain Vamp a cross-country rider from Burnabu, BC

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I always wanted a pair of Duegi and I finally Got a Pair of Black and yellow Dinictas for chirstmas. I set the shoes up with Time cleats and went for a ride today. The sole is very stiff! Nothing like the Shimano 110 it replaced and remimds me the stiffness of my road shoes. I installed the rear cleats as well, and found them too much for the hard surface. They are going off for sure. The weather is fairly cool today and the shoes are keeping warm despite of the mesh upper. The shoes feel very sturdy and they are definately great shoes and with the price to go with it.Lets see how it will hold up in the long run. four stars for now and see I will give the extra star in the next few months.

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

Duegi Lightning - easily the worst quality shoes I have owned. The buckles come undone regularly. The velcro strap is held on the shoe by a rectangular piece of metal that is held on the shoe by a leather strap. The metal fittings twist and one of them fell off so I replaced it with a zip tie. The shoes are amazingly beat up and torn on the outside. What is good? They are light and comfortable.

Submitted by Fred a cross-country rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Duegi Trailblazer -- After having a pair of Specialized el Gato Sport shoes which cracked and delaminated in about 9 months I found some Trailblazers on sale. i think these shoes are far superior to the Specialized. Also they fit much better. The toungue of the shoe is a bit stiff but its not at all problematic. Love the stiff soles and traction. The sizing is great too, nice and wide. My only minor complaint is that they were a bit hot to ride in this summer, but then anything would be hot when the temps are over 100. So far a highly recommend shoe.

Submitted by Robb a cross-country rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a great company and a great shoe. I bought a pair of Dinictas on close-out about a year ago but found that the soles were Shimanos and as such, they fell apart as soon as I walked a step. I called the company and they told me to send them back so they could look at them. I sent them on Monday and received a new pair of 98 Lightening 2s on Thursday. The customer service is top-notch. I could hardly ask more of a company. These shoes are great. They don't fit me quite as well as some shoes I've worn, but they are definitely the most durable shoes I have ever worn and definitely worth a look.

Submitted by Brian a weekend warrior from TENNESSEE

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a pair of Duegi Trailblazers on sale earlier this year. They are a good looking and fairly comfortable shoe. I find them easy to walk in . When new they wer a bit hard to get in , perhaps the pair I bought ran slightly small, but now they are my favorite shoe. I even wear them on my road bike.

Submitted by Matt a cross-country rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a follow up to an ealier review. I bought the Duegi Trailblazer in January, and I have mixed feelings about them. Here's the thing: they just don't fit me. They are way big. I have to wear 3, yeah that's right 3, pairs of socks. If you have a wide foot, I would definitely recommend them because there is so much room up front. Otherwise, make you sure you try before you buy.

Submitted by Kevin a cross-country rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: June 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have owned a pair of Lightenings for almost a year now, so its time for a qualified review. I have pulled the soles out of top end shoes from both specialized and Shimano. Not the Duegis, the durability and quality of construction is top notch.With wide feet, I have had trouble getting shoes that work, and the Duegi shoes have a wide toebox that is bliss on my feet. The top-end lightenings have a gel padded tounge that I just love. I can (and often do) ride all day and never have a foot cramp, hot spot, or discomfort. The Italian leather, if anything, has gotten more comfortable over the last year. Although I ride in Utah, which often means lots of rocky scrambles and carry-a-bikes over nasty terrain, my shoes have plenty of life left.These are without question the best MTB shoes I have ever worn. Check them out at http://www.duegi.com, or http://www.aardvarkcycles.com

Submitted by B Harris a racer from NZ

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Lighting: Black Limited Edition (easier on the eyes)
Excellent fit, well made and light. Compared to the Lake MX300's which these
replaced, these shoes are considerably better. The sole is plenty stiff and the aggressive tread is good in the mud, comes with studs as well. Easy to walk in
when hikig is required. If you want a top quality shoe then search out a pair.

Submitted by DLK from usa

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is for their new shoe called the Lightning Two. It is a shoe to fill the gap between the $129 Georgia and the $200 Lightning.It has 2 hook and loop closures (velcro) and they are slightly different in position than the Georgias. Higher, more towards the heel. The sold is also a touch softer than the yellow soles found on the Lightnings, so people who do a lot of rock and log hike-a-bike will like them a bit better.Comes in two color schemes; flashy european yellow and the other is a subdued blue.4 traction stud holes and studs come WITH the shoes.Not considered a cool weather shoe due to the extreme amount of vents/mesh; obviously a hot weather shoe!!If you have feet that don't seem to fit Nike's and Answers (both fine shoes) then you should take a look at Duegi's wide toebox. Make sure you get the right size, most people go down in size by 1.Excellent customer support, but that's to be expected from a highend Italian shoe company.

Submitted by Matt a cross-country rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Duegi Trailblazer -- I had never heard of Duegi before I stumbled on this page a couple of months ago. It provided me with the info I was looking for and because of it I bought some great shoes. For 99 bucks, you can't go wrong with these shoes. You won't believe the quality for this amount of cash. Comfortable and ready to go right out of the box. The sole is really stiff, yet curved so you can walk (or run) in them with no problems. They have tons of room. So much that you may need to go down a size. I highly recommend them.

Submitted by Stewmonk a cross-country rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: January 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Trailblazers are pieces of crap! I mailordered a pair from Nashbar, they were on sale, by the way never mailorder shoes! Its worth the extra few bucks to be able to try on the shoes before you buy. Anyways, the trailblazers are very uncomfortable because they are made out of plastic. They have a very rigid, plastic tounge that poked my ankle whenever I moved my food up. They didn't seem very well made either, they looked like they would fall apart after about one ride. I never found out, however, because I sent them back to Nashbar. I then went to my local bike shop and picked up a pair of Shimano 55 shoes (the brown ones that look like hiking boots) and so far they have held up great!

looking for tough shoes to ride platforms on

hi all, im a platform pedal guy who rides through some rough, and sometimes wet terrain, and i always seem to rip through my shoes pretty quickly. mainly, ill tear though the front of my shoe where my pinky toes contact the inside of the shoe, and at the ball of my foot. i ride BMX and skate sho ... Read More »

How do Five Ten shoes fit?

When I buy shoes, my size is 10, 10.5, or 11, depending on the shoe. For common reference here, my size is 11 in Nike running shoes, but a 10 in something like Sperrys. I want to get a pair of Five Ten MTB shoes online, but I am not sure how they'll fit--do they typically run big (10 is good for m ... Read More »

Flat shoes for long rides and HAB?

Hi all, I've been riding clipless for over 4 years and have almost completely stopped riding bikes with flat pedals. I went to Yosemite last week and was on a bike (using flats) for much of the trip and felt like it was my first time on a bike - not someone who has been riding hard for 4 years. A ... Read More »

Stiff shoes that work for hike a bike?

I'm looking for a good pair of shoes that are fairly light and stiff but can still handle a couple mile hike a bike? Anyone have a good recommendation.Read More »

What crank for BFLs on Clown Shoes

I have a Carver O'Beast with BFLs and Clown Shoes. My MWOD is in serious need of help. I am looking to replace it with something lighter. Any recomendations that will give me full use of all the gears with a double up front. I don't like the Surly OD due to the 1990 era bolt pattern.Read More »