Diadora X Tornado Shoes

• Fitting: Regular Race Last. A perfect fit across the entire surface.
  • Closure: Micrometric with a 4-position adjustable buckle, adopting the new V-FIT ADJUST system to meet all closure needs.
  • Upper: Suprell – Tech, with Morpho Cage A-M. The special “space frame” design to ensure greater stability, breathability and comfort.
  • Heel Cup: Pre-moulded ergonomic TPU heel cup to ensure better heel containment.
  • Arch support: Removable, made of perforated EVA, to ensure maximum breathability and moisture drainage.

Submitted by zance789 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2015

Strengths:    fit and finish

Weaknesses:    sole (MTB Multiped system)

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes as an upgrade to the Diadora Escape 2 shoes that I had used for 2 years. I liked the comfort and larger toebox of the Diadora shoes, but I wanted a shoe with a ratcheting buckle system and stiffer sole. The X Tornados fit perfectly out of the box, and the upper material, especially the hard toecap, seemed very durable. However, the MTB Multiped system on the sole was a big letdown. I think that it might be OK if you keep your cleat in a middle or front position. However, I like to position my cleat further back. When I moved the MTB Multiped system as far back as it could go I noticed that the corner of the plastic shim sticks out from the sole. I tried reversing the shim so that the curved edge was at the back but still noticed this issue. I don't see how this can be durable. Having a separate plastic shim on the sole of the shoe means that dirt, grass and sticks will become wedged between the shim and the sole. However, having a corner of the shim stick out from the sole makes the problem even worse. I considered trimming the shim but thought "why should I have to do this for a $190 pair of shoes?" and returned them. This system might be acceptable for road riding, but I don't think it has any use for off-road riding.