Diadora Polaris 2 Shoes

Diadora Polaris 2 Mens MTB Cycling Shoes

Submitted by Gregon2wheels

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2014

Strengths:    Price on closeout, fit, warmth, waterproof

Weaknesses:    Loose cuff, poor pedal feel, thicker sole may affect fit

Bottom Line:
Same as the other reviewer, I bought these on closeout looking for a shoe I could ride in through the winter. These are warm enough. I have ridden half a dozen rides in temps from 37 and drizzling to 60 and sunny. They're way too hot at 60, but after 3.5 hours of road riding at 37 in the wet, my feet stayed warm. This has NEVER happened before. I was using just thin wool socks. They will let me ride through the winter which was my objective in buying these shoes. There is no cutout where the cleat goes and no openings to the shoe besides the one at the ankle to keep feet warm.

Fit for me was good. I ordered 1 size up. With the straps, I can make them fit well at the arch and there is still plenty of space at the ball of the foot and around the toes for thicker socks.

Traction is as good as my usual Mavic mountain bike shoes.

They do have a few shortcomings (but not enough not to buy them at closeout price). The cuff around the ankle is loose. Water could run down your leg and into the shoe. The shoes feel clunky with poor pedal feel. They're not too stiff when walking, but my XC pedal feels like it is rolling around under my foot while pedaling if I'm standing up.

Finally the sole is noticeably thicker than any of my Mavic shoes (road or mountain). This may just be a price to pay for more warmth, but, for me, I feel like I don't get as much leg extension in the pedal stroke compared to my usual road or mountain pedals.

Submitted by Mike Warner

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    -Solidly built
-Stiff sole
-Warm

Weaknesses:    -Short cuff

Bottom Line:
I purchased these through Competitive Cyclist about a month ago for $95, which is quite a bargain considering that the other winter shoes I was looking at were around $200 or so a pair. At the advice of others, I went a couple of sizes higher than normal to leave room for thick socks. I normally wear a 10.5, so got the size 12. I was worried that I would be swimming in them, but even with thin socks they seem to fit just fine. I added some cold-weather insoles to the existing ones, which may have helped. My morning commutes in the winter are typically a little above freezing, and these things have been keeping my feet warm without the use of booties. I suspect they would be fine slightly below freezing with a couple of pairs of socks, but they wouldn't be my first choice for extreme cold. I haven't tried them in the rain (we are in a drought right now), but I am having a hard time getting my tights to overlap the boot cuffs, which is going to be a problem. The shoe also uses a waterproof membrane vs. a totally waterproof outside, so it's probably less than optimal in driving rain. Nice stiff pedaling platform without feeling like you are walking in a pair of roadie shoes when the need arises. Overall, a great value if you are looking for an inexpensive cold-weather shoe.