Diadora Polaris 2 Shoes

Diadora Polaris 2 Mens MTB Cycling Shoes

Submitted by Mike Warner

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    -Solidly built
-Stiff sole
-Warm

Weaknesses:    -Short cuff

Bottom Line:
I purchased these through Competitive Cyclist about a month ago for $95, which is quite a bargain considering that the other winter shoes I was looking at were around $200 or so a pair. At the advice of others, I went a couple of sizes higher than normal to leave room for thick socks. I normally wear a 10.5, so got the size 12. I was worried that I would be swimming in them, but even with thin socks they seem to fit just fine. I added some cold-weather insoles to the existing ones, which may have helped. My morning commutes in the winter are typically a little above freezing, and these things have been keeping my feet warm without the use of booties. I suspect they would be fine slightly below freezing with a couple of pairs of socks, but they wouldn't be my first choice for extreme cold. I haven't tried them in the rain (we are in a drought right now), but I am having a hard time getting my tights to overlap the boot cuffs, which is going to be a problem. The shoe also uses a waterproof membrane vs. a totally waterproof outside, so it's probably less than optimal in driving rain. Nice stiff pedaling platform without feeling like you are walking in a pair of roadie shoes when the need arises. Overall, a great value if you are looking for an inexpensive cold-weather shoe.