Diadora Geko MTB Shoes

4.3/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Nick F

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths:    Price/Quality

Bottom Line:
I bought several pairs of this shoe, when they were new. I no longer mountain bike, but have a fresh new pair in size 11. allbizns@yahoo.com

Submitted by thubeav a Cross Country Rider from Decatur, GA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    Fit. Moderate cost. They are comfortable and adjustable with the laces and strap combination.
They have held up well with less than perfect care and maintenance. Hose em off and dry em in the sun.

Weaknesses:    Some don't like the lack of stiffness. I need some flex in my shoe for hike a bike sections. I can't hike a bike in dodgey carbon slippers. But I have these and wear them for more predictable rides.

Bottom Line:
Excellent shoe. Is this even made now? (6/11/08)
I like not paying good money for a decent shoe. Then I can save this extra bit for jerseys and parts. Whoo Hoo!.
Extra chilis for economy.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo

Purchased At:   Bike on 400 near Daw

Similar Products Used:   Shimano. SIDI. Lake.

Bike Setup:   Smart wool socks.
Time ATAC on all my bikes.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Raw comfort.

Weaknesses:    It could be $20 a pair.

Bottom Line:
I have had these shoes for over 3 years, and they have seen a lot. Two vacations to Moab, daily commutes for a summer, working on foot all day, museum tours, Cubs games, concerts, Kickapoo, Kettle, Michigan, Vermont, Ohio, Colorado, these shoes are bomb-proof. May be slightly uncomfortable for those seeking the finer things in life, but anyone expecting bliss on a mountain bike trail shouldn't be focusing on his shoes.

I wish these shoes would die so I could go out and get some freshy-fresh, but they have never let me down. I expect at least two more years out of them.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, Moab

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   1999 DBR Team Issue frame; 2007 SRAM x.0 drivetrain & shifters; Crossmax Rims; ATAC pedals

Submitted by Joshua Kebschull a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    Solid Durable Construction with solid materials, Versitile lacing/velcro strap combination allows for perfect fit.

Weaknesses:    They dont make the model or replacement/upgrade model anymore. Finding a Diadora dealer could be difficult because in all reality you want to try a show on before you buy it. Shoes arent really for online purchase. Just like pretty much all other shoes, they start breaking down...but this was over 5 years later

Bottom Line:
I really wish Diadora would bring back the Geko. They were an extrememly durable low profile shoe that did not rub on the ankle at any movement extention. They werent the lightest shoe but the stability on and off the bike and everything about the shoe was absolutely perfect. The new models were unimpressive with fit and durability. There was no drawbacks to this show accept for weight but it wasnt really a problem atleast for me and the fact that they were discontinued.

Purchased At:   bike shop in Sierra Vista, Az.

Similar Products Used:   Went through a couple pair of Sidi, Specialized, Sette, and shimano

Bike Setup:   2005 K2 Razorback team/RebaSL/SRAM XO/XT crank/Mavic CrossmaxSL UST/Hayes Disc/Easton carbon/Time ATAC

Submitted by courtney vogt a Cross Country Rider from frisco, colorado USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    good looking, stiff but not too stiff, laces + velcro + tongue to hide laces

Weaknesses:    I have a fairly wide foot for a woman and at times I can feel a squeeze in my toes

Bottom Line:
I bought these at a consignment store for an unbeatable price. They were used MAYBE once, as the sticker on the inner footbed was still readable. To tell the truth, I got them because they fit well and I was a beginner and just needed bike shoes. I have been very satisfied as I ride harder and more aggressivly all the time and these babies always feel great. They do feel better when I lace loosly and velcro tightly. I have a wide foot though. I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   any Summit County single track

Purchased At:   Recycled Sports

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works hard tail

Submitted by Ginny a Cross Country Rider from Steubenville

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Strengths:    Wide in the front

Weaknesses:    Tounge too long, hits my shin

Bottom Line:
Sorry to disagree with others,I bought these shoes for a womans foot that is wider in the front, but these shoes made my feet go numb in about 30 minutes and the tounge hits my shin. I did remove the inner laces for more comfort, but these provided no cushion on the inside and were very uncomfortable for a womans foot.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey,, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2005

Strengths:    low cost,, high quality,, good looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
If you don't have or want to spend hundreds on top notch Italian shoes the Diadora Geckos are the way go. They look and feel great. I'm a little skeptical on the price because you usually get what you pay for, but so far so good. I normally wear 10.5 and wasn't sure about size when purchasing sight unseen, so I took a gamble went size 11 and I'm glad I did. Perfect fit. They have laces and velco straps that hold your foot nicely. I only ride for a few hours on weekends so these should last for quite some time. Time will tell..

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   nike

Bike Setup:   Heckler

Submitted by Jake Meyer a Weekend Warrior from Greenesboro,Ga,usa

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2005

Strengths:    I like the dual action of the velcro and the laces. Also the price was great.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Good shoe for a beginner. This is the first time I've riddin clipless pedals. I'm sure that there is a lighter, better shoe out there, however, I think I'll buy this brand again

Purchased At:   Priceline

Similar Products Used:   vans

Bike Setup:   02 specilized rockhopper, crankbrothers Mallet C

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA.

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Very Durable. Short break-period.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shoes for the money. I have owned mine for a year or so and have had no problems with these. They still have a ton of wear left. I have a wide foot and these are great because they don't pinch and you won't get blisters when you have to walk in them.

Favorite Trail:   Nisene Marks

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Nike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Comfort. They tie and Velcro for a great fit.

Bottom Line:
Great fit and comfort even after a few hours on the bike. Classic all black looks are dope. I love how i can tie them and then velcro the flap over the laces to protect them.

Purchased At:   The Bikery

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Strengths:    Looks (mine were the new silver design), comfort.

Weaknesses:    Not stiff enough.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes because they fit best in the shop and were a good deal. Unfortunately, when I wore them on the bike I could feel the sole bending and my feet went numb within three miles! These are not stiff enough for me.

Maybe it is because I weigh 225 lbs, but I have not had this problem with other entry-level shoes. I returned them after the first ride.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized MTB Sport shoes, Performance Durangos.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Delta V 700

Submitted by drewdane a Cross Country Rider from Falls Church, VA USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, great value!

Weaknesses:    None, really

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my original review. Two years later, and these have yet to fail in any way! They're only now starting to wear out a little, and even then it's strictly looks - they're still as structurally sound as when they were new.

It's true, you get what you pay for and these are "entry-level" shoes. The materials aren't as fancy as some, and when the time comes, I'll probably step up a bit, but for what they are, these shoes more than deliver!

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   The usual

Submitted by john rocco a Cross Country Rider from washington dc

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    price. availability at city bikes. dark color.

Weaknesses:    velcro and strings are not necessary. i yanked the laces out and found the velcro worked fine. the straps were long so they needed to be trimmed. the top of the shoe is durable. still running 2 years later. the treads are not wearing out but they are made of a hard plastic and it is sometimes slippery when walking on pavement.

Bottom Line:
great shoe for recreational use. splurge and move up to the next level, the chili or the top end skorpion. the sole is stiffer and the tread softer in the skorpion.

Purchased At:   citybikes.com

Similar Products Used:   previous shoes: sneakers, performance shoes, answer.

Bike Setup:   ti Independent Fabrication. xtr.

Submitted by Peo a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort, sole resistance to impact and abrasion, smart lace-hoops design, location (on the edge of the fabric, so the laces do not set between the fabric and the foot, like the new models) and strength, relatively good sole stiffness, weight. Easy to clean and dry.

Weaknesses:    The usual problem with low/mid-end shoes: no half sizes

Bottom Line:
At that time, I think they were some of the best and most durable shoes for the price. Great lace/strap combination, and really, an incredible durability. Used in diverse conditions, from the Eastern Cascade dry trails to the Western Cascade muddy ones. I have owned and heavily used these shoes for about 5 years, and just now I have noticed a little gap between the sole and the upper part. However, these shoes have served their duty with great merit. If they still can find them on the market, anyone who wants a reliable pair of shoes for about $ 80, should buy them.

Favorite Trail:   too many to say

Purchased At:   Gregg's Greenlake

Submitted by Terry Adams a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Fit (snug but roomy around the toes), colour (basic black baby), easy to walk in

Bottom Line:
Bought these shoes because of the price, and my 6-year old Shimano 110's had gone beyond the glue-resurrection point. Was pleasantly surprised by the fit in the store as most other shoes I tried were really tight laterally (I have broad feet). Have done about 8 rides on them now, incredibly comfortable, rigid enough while pedalling but with enough flex to walk comfortably. Nice aggressive tread that also sheds gunk quite well. Not sure why people are complaining about feeling the pedals thru the sole. I've done some long rides (2-3 hours) without hassle, periodic "scrunching" of your toes helps prefent any numbness, which is a potential issue with most shoes anyway. 5 Chillis from me, great shoes!

Favorite Trail:   Table Mountain