Diadora Chilis Shoes

4.26/5 (58 Reviews)

Diadora Chilis

Submitted by maclgallant a Weekend Warrior from Moncton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    durability durability durability

Weaknesses:    toes spikes broke off 1st year

Bottom Line:
These shoes maybe not the most comfortable but they lastest me 12 years!!!!! i am now searching for new ones and i doubt i'll ever be able to find a shoe as durable as these/// i have been riding since 1997 raced from 1998 to 2003, and average 3 rides a week after my racing retirement// i am blown away on how long these lastest me

Favorite Trail:   University trail

Purchased At:   mike's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   my first pair of shoes 1998 and have lastest untill today 2010

Bike Setup:   Giant rainier canadian version 2005, fron brake upgrade to avid juicy 3 with 205mm rotor

Submitted by Mark Lindros a Cross Country Rider from Belize

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, durability, and usability.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see, except that they could be more user friendly for walking.

Bottom Line:
I read all the reviews before I post, and I was really surprised to see any problems with durability. Maybe Chilis were made better back in 1998. Yep, you read that right, I've had these babies since 1998 and they are still going strong. In the first two years my friend went through something like 4 pairs of MTB shoes. Here it is, 2004, and 7 years later I still have the same shoes and they rock. I have had absolutely no problems with the cleats or the spikes. They do make marks on the floor or can scratch hardwood floors if you aren't careful, so shoes off at the door.

I have used these with SPD and with Time A.T.A.C. setup and feel that the real issue with ease of clipping in and out is the pedal mechanism itself. I broke both wrists at the same time once because an SPD pedal let me go when it shouldn't have. I've also had problems with SPD when riding in mud or snow and trying to get back in easy. The A.T.A.C.s totally took care of that and there is no problem with finding your pedal groove with these shoes.

I bought mine one size too small because they didn't have the right size at the LBS. That was a little painful in the beginning, but now they are perfect and still a little snug.

I actually felt bad in the beginning about paying this much for a shoe at the time, because I had already spent so much money on my bike. But now that I look back, since these shoes have lasted so long they have saved me all the money that I didn't have to spend buying new shoes.

Nothing beats the durability. If this 7 year track record doesn't prove that I don't know what will. I have broken about 5 bones in these shoes, including 3 in the ankle and they didn't even have to cut the shoe off. They cut the sock off, but who cares?!? the shoes live on!!!

Purchased At:   NJ

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of shoes, road and MTB...

Bike Setup:   Many bikes....

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Strengths:    durable, comfortable to walk in, versatile, relatively water resistant, snug fit

Weaknesses:    a little heavy?, not as comfortable on the trail as they were in the store

Bottom Line:
i'd recommend these shoes to a more advanced ridee; they seem like they'll last me a while. i find myself having to adjust the straps periodically to relieve pressure, but not so much to make me want to get new ones yet. good shoes all around.

Favorite Trail:   Kokopelli Trail loops in Fruita

Purchased At:   Touring Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Answer Speedsters, Axo Terras

Bike Setup:   franken-hardtail

Submitted by Conrad Griffith a Cross Country Rider from Chagrin Falls, OH USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Reasonably-priced shoe, fairly comfortable

Weaknesses:    Problems with cleat attachment platform, toe spikes, stretching

Bottom Line:
I have used these shoes for cross country riding and racing for 2 years. The toe spike "stubs" (inserted when not using toe spikes) fell out on all four locations soon after I started using the shoes, and yes, they were wrenched down snugly. More recently, the one shoe's SPD cleat mount has come loose at inopportune times - primarily when I am trying to disengage the pedal. I also find it difficult to locate the pedal due to the prominent rubber lugs on either side of the cleat, and that is with both Bonetrager and Shimano pedals. They are not bad shoes, but there are better out there.

Purchased At:   East Providence Cycle

Submitted by Mr T a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Good looking shoe. In theory, having the whole top of the shoe (the top flap) as the strap should distribute pressure better than seperate straps.

Weaknesses:    The 2003 Models seem to have a manufacturing fault:

The top flap on the left shoe is sewn on too close to your ankle. To check for this fault, undo all the velcro and then close it again (Diadora ships the shoes with the top flap closed in such a way that it's hard to see the fault unless you do this). Note that the velcro pad on the shoe, closest to your toes), does not line up with the velcro on the top flap properly. The whole top flap is shifted towards your ankle, which can cause the part of the flap closest to your ankle to dig into the tendons at the front of your ankle. Very uncomfortable.

I had the shoe replaced twice (so that's 3 different pairs), and they all had the same fault on the left hand shoe (size 44). Seems to be a whole bad batch. I'm not impressed that Diadora hasn't recalled them.

Bottom Line:
Check that you're not buying a shoe from this bad batch.

Submitted by Bob Franklin a Cross Country Rider from Albany, NY USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Initial fit was very good, after 1.5 years the shoe feels real sloppy. The spikes come in handy and have never loosened, laces way too long. Easy shoe to clean, just hose down when gunked up. Easy to access and to change cleats.

Weaknesses:    The sole of the shoe is fairly stiff but the body of the shoe has definatley stretched.

Bottom Line:
I ride 2-3 times a week in mostly tight technical single-track, lots of roots and rocks and some decent mud at times. This shoe has performed well, recently did a 24 mountain bike race, however, and ever since the shoes have not been the same. They are sloppy and stretched out, like a pair of granny's slippers. Overall, however, if you asked me if I would buy them again I would say yes, they are a decent value and they look cool.

I can't see paying $200+ on a pair of shoes that you are going to have to replace every 1 or 2 years, yes even Sidi's have to replaced, they just get to crusty to own longer than that.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Many, over 15 yrs, 4rth pair of Diadora's

Bike Setup:   Several mountain bikes and a roadbike

Submitted by henry reeds a Cross Country Rider from vail co.

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    they have great durability,they are stiff and very comfortable.the laces make a nice grab on your feet. its got good ventilation.

Weaknesses:    the look is not as nice as the sidis or vittorias, but that doesn't really matter.

Bottom Line:
buy them, you wont be disappointed, very durable and the most comfortable mtb shoe I'v ever had.

Favorite Trail:   bufers creek

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   vittoria riders

Bike Setup:   k2 team and clark kent f14

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Conway, Ar

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, decent fit

Weaknesses:    floppy sole, funky seems in toe box

Bottom Line:
Okay for 50 bucks, but they just don't hold up to serious riding. I weigh 170 and feel them flex all over the place. Also after a few weeks started developing wicked forefoot hotspots, switched out the innersoles which helped some, but now have the mushy underfoot feeling. Anything up to 1:30 hours they're fine, over that and you start looking for a new shoe. Hot too.

Look at Specialized's shoe line. Not sexy, but work a whole lot better and can usually be found to try on, which is a must.

Purchased At:   Sierra Traders

Similar Products Used:   Nike Cairns, Northwave Compacts, Specialized Sports...

Submitted by Bill Anderson a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Fell apart after 1 year.

Bottom Line:
Junk. Pure and simple. These shoes barely lasted one year. Aside from the velcro wearing out and becoming virtually useless, the stitching on both heel cups came out 6 months ago, and the soles began delaminating from the uppers. But the absolute kicker is the flimsy sole construction. They use plastic platforms to hold in the cleat mounts, which evidently crack from repeated stress. I found out because the cleat in my right shoe ripped right off during my last race, leaving the cleat and screw assembly stuck in my pedal. Sorry, that shouldn't happen on $135 shoes after only one year. That's garbage.

I liked these shoes at first but now I know they suck. I put my old junk Specialized shoes through five seasons of hell, and outside of a couple holes, I could still dig them out and use them today with no problem. In fact, I'm going to have to, because I have to save up for a new pair of shoes.

Diadora should stick to making soccer shoes. No one should buy these shoes. I'm buying Sidis.

Favorite Trail:   Cedro Peak, ABQ

Purchased At:   Rapid Transit Cyclery, Chicago

Similar Products Used:   Specialized El Gato Comp, old Shimanos

Bike Setup:   Too many to list here.

Submitted by rodoc1 a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    good price - lots of satisfied user reviews

Weaknesses:    fit was too narrow in my standard size.

Bottom Line:
This is a quick note on sizing since my experience differs from some other postings. My foot is 9.5, D width (these are US measurements). I wear a 43 metric shoe. When ordering the Chili's in size 43, i found the fit much too narrow (kind of like older shimano road shoes). I hope this advice helps you in correctly sizing you on-line purchase.

p.s. also noticed some dropped stitches in the toe box- a likely source of future troubles.

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by JCRUM a Racer from BFLO

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    stylin'. hard to argue wit'som'thin' that has got ya thru three years.

Weaknesses:    after about the fourth puddle, the velcro gets a little loose.

Bottom Line:
while i would most certainly get the sidis if i ever had the resources, the chilis seem to be doing a more than adequate job

Favorite Trail:   alleghany state park

Purchased At:   nashbar/oerformance

Similar Products Used:   specialised shoes.

Bike Setup:   i have several bikes.

Submitted by Karen a Cross Country Rider from Eagle River, WI

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    Women's model fits well and is durable.

Weaknesses:    Sole not stiff enough. I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. It's hard not to blame the shoes.

Bottom Line:
I loved these shoes until I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. I'm finding it hard not to blame the shoes. I wear them for both mtb and road riding. After long rides my left foot was just burning and extremely painful. Eventually I went to the doctor and it turned out I had a stress fracture. The stress fracture was caused by my forefoot being allowed to twist too much while riding.

I recently purchased a very stiff pair of Axo road shoes. And, I think I will resurrect my old Gaernes which never caused me any trouble and are still going strong after 9 years and many miles of regular wear.

I loved these shoes at first but am hesitant to recommend them to serious cyclists who put on high miles.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Gaerne - circa 1993

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kahuna - ti, XTR, Marzocchi Atom 80, Race Face cranks, Speedplay frog pedals.

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    Great shoe. Comfortable and durable.

Weaknesses:    Velcro frays.

Bottom Line:
These are the best cycling shoes I have ever owned. Period.
After six months of heavy use [@ 8,500 km], they still fit as well as ever. I use these primarily on my road bike [I'm mostly a roadie] though they're equally good on the MTB.

The one drawback is the velcro, which is beginning to fray. I hope I can have that repaired.

I like these shoes so much that I don't have road pedals on my bike anymore. I hope I can find a pair of road Diadoras that are as good as these so I can put a pair of Speedplay pedals on my bike.

Similar Products Used:   See below.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    The best fit or any shoe that I tried by a long, long way. It was also the only mtb. shoe that you could wear and not relaize that it is a mtb shoe and not just a comfortable casual shoe.

Weaknesses:    Slightly roomy, great for hot days, but i wear two socks on cold ones. The shoe is a litle high volume for my foot.

Bottom Line:
I tried on almost every brand of shoes that i could find at about 6 or 7 different shops. When i Finally tried on these shoes it is instantly apparent that they fit better and differently that any other shoe that I tried. This fit may not be for everyone, but the only other shoe that was even close was the Sidi Dominator 2.

Purchased At:   Cutting Edge Sports