Diadora Cayman Shoes

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Cayman is constructed on an SPD? compatible molded rubber outer sole with an internal Diapan? stiffener. Cleat mounts are strengthened by a steel backing plate.Achilles padded and relieved heel collar gives extra comfort. Accepts SPD? type cleats.

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    They've held up pretty well after many miles. They're also pretty comfortable.

Weaknesses:    These babies are uuugly. Also, you have to come up with something to get the laces out of the way. I wrap them once under the soles before tying.

Bottom Line:
I have long feet and they're pretty narrow too, and these things look like skis. Maybe it's just the larger sizes. They've been solid shoes, otherwise - they're easy to walk in and are pretty comfortable. The sole is probably not as stiff as many shoes, and they're not light, but not too heavy either. But yeah, ugly.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Use for both touring and road cycling.

Submitted by chris stark a Cross Country Rider from Westford, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Well...They have lasted me for over 5 1/2 years now and they are still going strong. Comfortable and can stand up to anything (even 2,500 miles of mud).

Weaknesses:    No lace covers/straps, so tuck em in. Thats about it.

Bottom Line:
If you are able to buy these shoes still, get em!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Mt. / Moose Lake NY

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Time (old school)

Bike Setup:   2001 GT avalanche 1.0, I think every component has been changed and does not match but hey its a mountain bike not a Lexus.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Ames, IA, UA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good, tough shoe, holds up well to most punishment. Good still sole.

Weaknesses:    Wish there was something to hold the laces down, I have to tuck them into my shoe.

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for new SPD riders and a good value too. If you're really going to put the shoe to the test, buy more comfortable insoles. I used these for just about 2 months and they hurt my feet like crazy. I'll probably put a new insole in them and use them for a commuter shoe now, since they do look pretty good.

Purchased At:   BicycleBuys.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tahoe ATB

Submitted by Bernard from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable !
extremely good fit, great for walking, even on pavement, and of course for riding with and without cleats.

Weaknesses:    No solution for tying shoelaces away from chain, need to be tied to cross laces or other original solutions.

Bottom Line:
worth every $

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail + wellgo SPD

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA, US

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Nice styling for my taste. Not too garish, not too plain. Definitely a stealth bike shoe.
Stiff enough for hard riding but comfortable for all-day wear.

Weaknesses:    Probably won't stand up to long-term XC abuse. I don't take mine offroad.

Bottom Line:
These are my commuter shoes. I've used them every workday for a year and I really like them. Usually I'll wear them all day at work, and only the clacking noise from walking on pavement gives them away as bike shoes.

Nashbar has 'em cheap I believe.

Side note: the multi-release Shimano SPD cleats that I bought for these are terrible for off-road riding! They release too easily. Having grown used to the original "single-release" cleat, I hate the multi-release.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Look MTB shoes, olde Shimano

Bike Setup:   purple & white fixed gear frankenbike baby!
also a Specialzed FSR for the trails.

Submitted by Hennie Lacock a Cross Country Rider from Bloemfontein South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Strengths:    Looks very nice. Sole is pretty stiff enough. Fits my foot like a glove. Takes the punnishment I give it!

Weaknesses:    Would have liked it if the shoe-lace was coverder or protected in a way, now I have to tuck it in next to my foot.

Bottom Line:
I use these shoes with Wellgo WPD-813 SPD's and I must tell you, the combination for me works like a bomb! I'm doing cross-country as well as road with these shoes and never had a complaint against them, for the relatively low price, you'd have to go far to beat them!

Favorite Trail:   Rhodes - South Africa

Purchased At:   Cyclopede

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX-890 Shimano Deore group-set.

Submitted by Gordon Evans a Cross-Country Rider from St. Louis Mo

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1999

Strengths:
cheap
good fitting

Weaknesses:
doesn't hold up very good

Bottom Line:
After undergoing surgery on my left foot in 1998, these were the only bike shoes I could stand to wear. They are not the best but the do work and the look pretty good. I've since had custom Shimano's made. I would recomend yhat over these shoes if you have an odd foot shape.

1 Year

Homegrown, sid sl
747's

Submitted by apple a Cross-Country Rider from newark, DE

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1999

Strengths:
comfy for people with bizzare feet...and they look FINE too

Weaknesses:
they may not hold up to serious abuse

Bottom Line:
i have strange feet, very narrow in the heel...vrey wide in the front, and these fit better than ANY shoe i have ever had. it's hard to say, however, weather the shoes will be able to stand up to the mutant foot abuse. judging by the looks of the overall construction i wouldn't bet on it. four stars just because i'm so tickled by how well they fit...five if they last for a year!

middle run