Home | Reviews | Shoes | Carnac

Carnac Scirocco Shoes

Carnac Scirocco

Submitted by dan a Weekend Warrior from rhode island

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, sort of bombproof on the trail. Nice straps.

Weaknesses:    Hot spots. Customer service. Too hard on rocks when walking

Bottom Line:
I loved these shoes for a while, but then the heel cup sparated, just like lots of other people's shoes on this review. Carnac (Sinclair) wouldn;'t really help .. said it was out of warranty. Sure this is true, but apparebtly the heel cup separation is a standard problem. They said $30 to fix it. I'll take it to a local cobbler.
Great shoes, but agreeing with others, half the price spent twice would be a better deal. And to add, they are way too hard to walk in. Sure some of us pride ourrselves in never walking, but sometimes I ride to places where I may want to wander into a cave (WVA) scramble to the top of a cliff, highpoint, whatever, and these shoes are what I would term even dangerous for such off-bike excursions.

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Ritchie Pedals

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from SF,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Carnac fit (wide, roomy toe box). Supple materials. Walking comfort. Durable toe, and strap materials.

Weaknesses:    Heel Cup stitching comes apart. Soft flex pattern. Material between sole lugs slippery.

Bottom Line:
I've had a number of Carnac road shoes which is why I bought the Sciroccos. Like most people, I like their road shoes, and I here some of their MTB shoes work well. However, if you use these shoes a lot, the hard plastic heel cup becomes detattached. The Carnac distributor would not help me and told me to "take the shoes to a cobbler." I've had the shoes put back together three times. The thord shoe repair guy told me it was a bad design which was pretty obvious to me and the other four people in our group that have them. While a subjective and personal issue, it seems to be that a high-end shoe is usually stiff for power transfer. The Scirocco is very soft which is good for walking, but inefficient and can cause hot spots (at least I get them) but again, some people might like a softer shoe. On the other hand, the slippery material between the lugs makes unclipping and riding a top the pedals, dicey. I like to use DH style SPDs for that very reason. Many of the other high-end shoes, like the Shimanos seem to take that in to consideration. One last thing on the scoring is that I'm always amazed at how people will rant and rave about an expensive part that broke, came apart on the trail, make noises, whatever, and rate it/them a three or four. It would seem to me, that if something either breaks or doesn't work as advertised, it's a one, simple as that. If it's flaky or the slightest bit weird, what about a two? If it gets the job done well, but neither works mirtacles or raised cucumbers, maybe that's a four. And for those times that something is just plain stellar and does work miracles as in lasts ten times longer than anything else, literally lets you do things no other part/parts can do, now that sounds like a five. And there shouldn't be many of them. One that comes to mind is a King Headset. As for the shoes, with a retail price of $239 and plenty of decent shoes out there for a third to half as much, the Scirocco seems to earn a one. And for overall rating, they are the poorest designed shoe I've had, they're too soft, and there's that slippery sole deal. But, they still work, and they are comfortable. To me that's a two. The bottom line is that the only way to warn fellow cyclists away from a substandard product and send a message to the manufacturer is to tell them when something doesn't work or doesn't provide good value.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   SIDI Dominator, Shimano M220

Submitted by FredV a Cross Country Rider from Lyon, France

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Strengths:    Fit
Durability
Stiff sole (when pedaling)

Weaknesses:    Heavy (compared to Sidi's)
3 velcros would have been better
Stiff sole (when walking)

Bottom Line:
This was my third pair of Carnacs MTB shoes, I have then since more than 4 years now, so I can't complain about durabitity, I even put then in a washing machine with any problem.
The fit was great since the begining, and it got better and better with time.
I just got a pair of Sidi, mostly because I wanted to try someting else. I hope they'll last as long as the Carnacs.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F2000

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from F-town, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    There is not 1 single strength to this shoe except for throwing very far, good aerodynamics.

Weaknesses:    WOW! I have been waiting my whole life for this. The front of the shoe is starting to seperate from the bottom of the shoe on both shoes; in other words they are falling apart. The clip continuously comes loose or off completely even though I tighten them before every run. Also, they have to traction for when you want to walk around.

Bottom Line:
These are probably the most expensive pieces of (you know word up) I have ever seen. People in France are stupid and are not good at biking.

Favorite Trail:   Toas

Similar Products Used:   My brother have bought a pair of $80 Cannondales that have lasted him 1 year and haven't seen a problem yet.

Submitted by steves a Cross Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    Reputation. Sole design resistant to breakage

Weaknesses:    Cost, durability

Bottom Line:
I've had nothing but trouble with shoes. I walk in them very little, and maybe somehow this puts extra stress on them while clipped in and doing technical moves, I don't know. Or maybe shoes aren't well made.

I bought the carnac on a recommendation. "the last pair you;ll ever need" he said. Well, the stitching immediately rubbed off of the heel cups, and the soles are pulling away from the uppers at the backs of both shoes. (shoe goo would probably fix both problems)

The soles are too hard for scrambling safely over rock, but do wear well. Speaking of soles, the design with the bolt on cleat adapters has NOT broken (every other shoe I've owned has broken at the cleat slots), but it does raise you up a little because of it's thickness. Makes swapping between different brands of shoes tough. (you'll need to readjust your seat height.) Newer models of the shoe seem to have a traditional sole, too bad.

I also wished that the neoprene tongue was not sewn in on both sides, as it was too tight, and put excess pressure on the top of my feet. Probably not a problem for others, but it bugged me.

The leather also seemed to stretch more than normal cow hide. I do give them credit for using only velcro straps. Buckles are unnecessary. The colors(blue and black) are sedate, and they are not much uglier than regular shoes.

So, other than this whole list of things I didn't like, I thought they were great:)

Similar Products Used:   Nike, shimano, diadora

Submitted by Pete Field a Cross Country Rider from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    Great fit

Weaknesses:    Flexable sole, slippery rubber

Bottom Line:
These are the best fitting shoes I have ever had. They breath well, and I am in general very happy with them.
The soles are more flexible then the Sidi's or Northwave's, but they are still great shoes.
The tread compound is similar to the Sidi's, which are quite slippery for walking over steep rocks, but just get on your bike and ride down (or up)!

Favorite Trail:   Industrial De

Purchased At:   Evolution

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator, Northwave Expert, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Too many to list

Submitted by Kokopelli a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Strengths:    I couldn't tell you.

Weaknesses:    They fall apart.

Bottom Line:
I've had these shoes for three months and they have fallen apart. The stitching around one of the heel cups has come completely apart. The pull tab on the heel has come off. The soles have separated from both shoes!! Granted I'm a big guy and often ride in wet and muddy conditions, BUT I expect more than three months life out of a pair of shoes. Maybe this company makes good road shoes, but they don't hold up to mountain biking conditions. If I bought 4 pairs of low end shoes I'd still be ahead of the game.

Favorite Trail:   www.spokejunkies.com

Similar Products Used:   Nothing of this "quality", lower end Specialized.

Submitted by Noel a Cross-Country Rider from Tempe

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to correct my email address for those who wish to write me. I ride 4-5 times a week here in AZ.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Noel a Cross-Country Rider from Tempe

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
Durability

Weaknesses:
heavy

Bottom Line:
I can't believe I paid this much for these shoes but I really couldn't resist the comfort that this product gives. Durablity and comfort is my priorities in shoes. I will update if these shoes fall apart within 2 years.

SunTop/ShookumFlat in Wa