Cannondale csoles-801 Shoes

3.33/5 (9 Reviews)

csoles-801

Submitted by Mog a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    They chose the proper compound for the soles. They wear well, but are still sticky enough so that you don't slide down muddy hills.

Weaknesses:    They quit making them. Buy two or three if you can find them.

Bottom Line:
Killer shoes. Light, good looking, undercover. No one will know you are a gearhead, necessarily. A good alternative to my Sidis.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on.

Purchased At:   Big Swingin' Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Time, etc.

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola

Submitted by Jer a Cross Country Rider from Venice Beach Ca./Park City Ut.

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2000

Strengths:    Very Comfortable,Very Casual.Price(Yeah,My girlfriend "The shop-a-holic" found them when we where visiting family back in "Yupperville"Mpls.Mn.).....Oh Yeah,By the way,Really plush-Over-the-Ankle-Chemistry makes these things work!

Weaknesses:    Not much preformance.Like other shoes,Takes a little break-in time.Lacing system needs refinement.(But I wouldn't kick the develepment team in the nut's)

Bottom Line:
I really dig these shoes,They've got so much going for them,I was a victum of the"Race Shoe"performance thing.(Great while we're riding,Suck's when we're not.Me and My woman(My prodominant riding partner.)Do"selective"trends in our riding.(In english)She say's whether we're going "Racing"or if we're going"Joyriding"(This is where I get to Drink and carry all that crap she waste's her money on home for her)(What a Deal Hah?)Side-stories,But your getting the idea.Super casual!Great for those APRES-BIKING deals.I love to shake my butt(Dancing when I'm Litt-up)and these are Definatly better for dancing than my Other HIPPIE shoes(SIMPLE CLOGS/TEAVA TERRA)......While on my machine[bike]I'd like to"Dial"up the spring tention on the pedals but won't out of fear that It would be to hard on the shoe and contribute to premature wear of the shoe[You know,being abusive.]After all,Their's a day&night differance between these and my racing shoes,And I respect and use each for their strenths and unfortunatly,their weeknesses.......Score,5 for price(We got 2pair for less that $75bucks)3 for overall(PERFORMANCE-SHORTCOMINGS-TREAD LIGHTLY/Don;t beat on them to hard or you will wish you didn't.

Favorite Trail:   Sweeney's

Purchased At:   NOW Bike&Fitness/Mpls. Mn.

Similar Products Used:   Specilized Comp/For when I Pretend to be a Gorrilla on Crack!-----Or riding with the Posse!

Bike Setup:   Which One?,Multiple applacations.More Relitive Question?,I use Shimano cleats,Girvin pedals on the real one,Shimano pedals on the others.

Submitted by Dan V from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Great for all around city biking. Can Walk around like a normal human being with no clicking.

Weaknesses:    Laces fall apart after a few weeks.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are the best all around sneakers I've ever owned. They do every thing I need them to do. I can ride across the city then get off my bike and walk around work all day. No need for two pairs of shoes. I can also run a hundred errands and walk into stores without sliding around on my cleats. The one complaint is the laces suck, but you replace those at any sneaker store.

If you are a messenger or do a combination of hiking and biking then I highly recommend these shoes. If you’re into the lycra thing and want efficiency on the bike then look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   City Streets

Purchased At:   Larry and Jeffs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Race shoes

Bike Setup:   Ti mountain bike with Wellgo SPD pedals

Submitted by Drew a Cross Country Rider from Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Strengths:    Good for hike-a-bike
Cheap
Black

Weaknesses:    Flexy
Laces don't stay tight
Wide soles rub finish off crankarms

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a pair of shoes for fairly casual riding, these fit the bill. They are perfect for around-town riding since they are basically hiking shoes with SPD cleats attached. They are also good if you ride a lot of trails that feature long unrideable sections.

But what makes them great for these purposes makes them a poor choice for those who need a hardcore riding or racing shoe. The soles are flexy and the laces-only closure is far less secure than ratchet or velcro strap closure systems. They are also pretty darn hefty compared to most other shoes. Again, these features are appropriate for the type of riding/riders for which the shoes were designed. If you
are looking for a racing shoe, look elsewhere, my friend.

I'm on my second pair of these in three years. This pair is a year old and has little visible wear, so they are obviously of good quality. The only gripe I have with these shoes is their wide soles rubbed the finish off my brand new crankarms the first time I rode my new bike. Oh well, at least it gives me an excuse to upgrade soon. As if any of us need that!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comp Mtn

Bike Setup:   '99 Kona Explosif, XT, Manitou SXR

Submitted by Sachi a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    Good looks

Weaknesses:    Weigh a TON

Bottom Line:
They are great after a ride to walk into the bar or local pizza shop.
The frogs aren't really good for these shoes either. Some minor adjustments to the show had to be made. Part of the rubber sole was cut away to allow the cleat to fit properly.
From what I was told the C-Soles also would hit the crank when I'm trying to get in or out. I haven't yet had that problem.
Overall they are good shoes just wish they were lighter.

Favorite Trail:   as if I would share that too..

Similar Products Used:   Keds

Bike Setup:   Speedplay Frogs

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Guelph Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    Looks pretty good

Weaknesses:    Laces, cleat placement, not stiff enough, too narrow

Bottom Line:
This shoe has so many weaknesses. The laces fell apart in weeks. The cleats are recessed into the shoe making it difficult to get you shoe into the pedal at times. Worst of all these shoes caused extreme pain in the meatarsel bones of my feet. I ended up at the doctor and the physiotherapist because of the pain. I stopped riding for the last month of the fall season because of these shoes! This spring I got them out again and put in my new $300 orthotics. Well the pain is back and I am now going to have to scrap the shoes and get a new pair. I only hope that my local bike store will take them back. Needless to say I am very disappointed with these lousy shoes.

Bike Setup:   Cross Country

Submitted by Michael Greggs a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    Not a bad looking shoe. I wanted a shoe that would look and feel like a sneaker.

Weaknesses:    Due to lack of padding, cleat digs into the bottom of my foot and causes a lot of pain.I am going to add new inserts and hope that this will solve the problem

Bottom Line:
A very uncomfortable shoe. Hopefully I will have better luck with a different brand.Would welcome some suggestions.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeshore

Similar Products Used:   This is the first bike shoe that I have bought.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Crossroads Pro

Submitted by Jason a Please Select from Saskatchewan, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Strengths:    Not much

Weaknesses:    Water retention
Poor construction
Crappy laces
Sole not very stiff for cycling but too stiff for walking
Cleat setup is the worst of all

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes for a fair bit of money and was hoping I would get what I paid for - well these shoes suck the big one. The construction when I looked at them looked very good and so far the bulk of the shoe has held up except for the following gripes.
If you ride through creeks, puddles or in the rain prepare for your feet to get wet and stay that way - these shoes never dry out.
The laces were basically stripped within a month of light usage.
I like to think I ride hard but after an hour or so the ball of my foot where the cleat is located is killing me. There certainly could be more padding or stiffness in this area.
The worst thing of all is the cleat setup. After lightly but snugly tighening the cleat I rode for several days but now after say 2-3 uncleats the things loosen up creating a dangerous situation as you can't uncleat. This was only after a month of usage. I replaced the whole setup (cleat, screws, ect) and after 3 weeks the same thing even if I really tightened them up.
I'm going to complain to Cannondale about these overprices pieces of shit and see what happens.