Cannondale Arago Shoes

4.44/5 (18 Reviews)

Cannondale Arago

Submitted by Edson Sandoval a Cross Country Rider from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    Look, durability, comfort

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight

Bottom Line:
They´re a excellent shoes in all aspects. I have 3 pairs of shoes and the others are stored because a never use them becaus My aragos are better than them except in the weight (200 g/ a half pound). This pair of shoes permits use it like a tennis shoe and the cleat don't difficult the walk.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano shoes

Submitted by Tony from NY

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    This is an addendum to my previous review below...

Weaknesses:    This is an addendum to my previous review below...

Bottom Line:
Ok after some thought, I figured let me see if I can maybe replace the actual cleat holding body with another. Took out the insole, and there was a cardboard cutout right beneath the cleat holding assembly. Took that and cleaned the screws and assembly, everything looked and worked fine. Put everything back in and tightened it up, went on the 40 mile NYC bike tour, no problems. Dont know why it seemed to be stripped, and why one of the screws initially fell out, but all seems fine now except...I notice with these shoes you have to have the laces wound tight, cause if not they move around and wont disengage quickly enough for me (I guess thats why other shoes are so damned stiff). Not a big problem unless, your gonna fall off a cliff or get hit by a truck. Overall a good shoe in all categories, that have held up well for me and are very comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Sunken Meadow is nice...

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   This is an addendum to my previous review below...

Bike Setup:   This is an addendum to my previous review below...

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    Looks nice, not like your conventional "Thief of Baghdad" looking cycling shoe, with the front toe going up. Rugged and durable, as well as being comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Part where cleat screws in to the actual shoe, gets stripped too easily and wont hold cleat.

Bottom Line:
Shoe wont make you look like a fool in non cycling circles, cleat screws strip way too easily. Shoe is rugged and strong, grips well and wont fall apart on your feet, and I must say it is very comfy. Whats the sense of making such a good shoe if it wont hold the cleat, not a good value if everything else works except the intended function.

Purchased At:   mtbreview.com

Similar Products Used:   Alpine stars (great shoe, you just look like a clown wearing them).

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Race, hooked up to the max.

Submitted by kiko toying a Cross Country Rider from chi town USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    nice design you don't look like some neon sign

Weaknesses:    the tongue broke after 1 ride real bad

Bottom Line:
really bad experience with the shoe can't return it to performance 'coz I can't find the receipt emailed cannondale said they can't help out real bad for a shoe I use for 1 ride it still smells new bad durability

Favorite Trail:   can't tell

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   taccoa full xtr rf cranks BB and ck wheelset

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    comfort
light weight
dries fast
very walkable
great tread/traction

Weaknesses:    some clicking at cleat attachments under heavy load
new and improved price: $100

Bottom Line:
Great shoes. Extremely comfortable. And all MTB shoes should have this kind of traction -- I should know: I suffered a broken back due to a clumsy fall while wearing harder&smaller-soled shoes that slipped in a crash and threw me into an awkward landing position. Spinal injuries are not fun. Get some traction on your feet!

These shoes, purchased while injured, gave me the confidence to get back on my bike and make it through a tough recovery.

HOWEVER: It is my understanding that the history of these shoes is this: They were called "MC-900" through 2001, and they were widely available for $40. For 2002 and beyond, they have been renamed "Arago", and other than color scheme, the only thing that has changed is the price: $100. What happened? Sorry -- no deal! I would buy THREE more pairs if I could get them for $40 again, but at $100 for the very same product, I'll be shopping a manufacturer other than Cannondale when my two current pairs wear out. What a filthy, greedy shame.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   bikes w/spd pedals

Submitted by Gudmundur Thorisson a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Wide, for my clunky, wide feet.
Mesh upper allows good breathing
High heel keeps foot in shoe

Weaknesses:    None so far, will report later if any

Bottom Line:
Actually, just bought those today and have been walking around for a few hours. A good variation on the biking show theme; fairly wide and comfortable for my wide feet. Has clipless attachments which are essential in my opinion, recreational or not. These will be used to get to and from work and other places, hence will get quite a bit of usage beyond the weekend warrior kind of thing...
Only concerns are with wet/cold weather performance in my home country Iceland, but I believe the quick-drying attribute other reviewers have described could do the trick for me.

NB: will report later once I've used them for a couple of months

Purchased At:   Paragonsport, NY city

Similar Products Used:   Shimano clipless, can't remember model, with velcro, decent except too narrow I found eventually. Will be discarded now!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sure '97, STX/LX, V-brakes, Manitou front shock

Submitted by Dunko a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    Nice looking and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Nil

Bottom Line:
I race in em, I go downhill in em, and can even wear em off the bike. For the price, these are a super, fairly rigid all purpose shoe

Favorite Trail:   Love it all

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Old rockhopper shoes

Bike Setup:   N?A

Submitted by Tex a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    Review is for the MC900. Best looking shoe I could find, very comfortable, well-built, reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet.

Bottom Line:
A great shoe that hasn't let me down yet. It's held up well so far and is one of the few normal looking shoes out on the market. It's very comfortable and works well with my shimano 959's without any modification to the sole. Looked at a lot of others that had good reviews but didn't like the psychedelic neon baseball cleat look. Don't think you'll be disappointed, especially for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   None - first clipless shoe.

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept Race - stock

Submitted by verslowrider from Central WA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    - comfort, even when wet
- durability (SEE BELOW)
- great in dirt, mud, etc.
- fairly breathable, seem to dry quickly

Weaknesses:    - Probably not ideal for racing (if you're into that)
- So comfortable I find myself running around all day in them, to the detriment of my cleats.
- Had to trim a little rubber off the bottom of one shoe- apparently a cutter in the factory wasn't working quite right and had an incorrectly threaded screw due to the misaligned cover over the screw holes. Fortunately they hadn't messed up the threads.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE WOMAN'S VERSION- which probably has a different last and color, but other than that it's the same.
This weekend I accidently ended up riding over some hidden barbed wire. My front tire threw the wire up over the front my shoe, pulled a substantial length across the toebox sideways like a saw blade, then ended up buried in the tread of my back tire.
I fully expected to see a torn up shoe and some blood when I stopped, but THERE WAS NO VISIBLE DAMAGE TO THE SHOE. !!!!

I'd give it one less flaming turd for having the minor sole rubber I had to cut out, but I've never seen a "tennis shoe" that could survive barbed wire zipping across the toes. It actually gained that one star back this weekend and then some.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   First bike shoe

Bike Setup:   Time ATACS on the old GT mountainbike and the new Surly Crosscheck.

Submitted by well hung squirrel a Weekend Warrior from essex, england

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    sooo comfy and light.
don't look like cycling shoes.
loads of mesh for venting and drying quick.
chunky grippy soles.
subtle colours.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
brilliantly comfy and cool for the summer. can wear them to work without looking stupid. sensible colours and look like i can chuck them in the washing machine. don't buy if you want race shoes - they're trail/looning about boots.

Favorite Trail:   red bull at coed y brenin

Purchased At:   chelmer cycles

Similar Products Used:   shimano m-055 (had 'em for 5 years so time for a change)
shimano w-100 (too heavy and waterproof for summer)

Bike Setup:   mantra comp, x-vert supers, xt/xtr, machinetech, thompson, hope+617 ceramics, panaracer fire 1.8's

Submitted by dave h. a Cross Country Rider from israel

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    very solid, its a quality purchase and it handels great so far under intensive work and harsh conditions.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
saw it on the net, checket the reviews on mtbr, got it and im happy ever since! good for traveling-cross country style, looks nice and very comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   dead sea pleasures

Purchased At:   u.s.a

Similar Products Used:   first clipess shoe

Bike Setup:   santacruz superlight, time atac pedals

Submitted by Phat Boy a Racer from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great looks, have held up much better than Nikes I previously had. Plus, you don't look like a gay genie if you wear them into the grocery store.

Weaknesses:    Wore them last weekend in an adventure race. It had thunderstormed the night before, and the soles held mud like it was nobody's business. I had to run most of the bike trail, and when I was on the bike, I could not clip in because my shoes were so gunked up.

Bottom Line:
Cool shoes, great for tooling around, but not the best for racing. Price is right too. I'd give them 5 chilis overall if they worked a little better in adverse conditions.