Home | Reviews | Shoes | AXO

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

AXO Cycling Tiburon

Submitted by Alan Koslowski a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Good value (when on sale)
Comfortable Fit
Nice intermediate sole stiffness
Look like normal shoes (more or less)

Weaknesses:    No heal strap (can come off in rougher terrain)
Traction is mediocre
Not water repellant
Ventillation could be better

Bottom Line:
First off, I rate this as a good value because these shoes seem to be on sale everywhere. I would NOT buy these for the MSRP of $70, but if you can find them for less than $35, it's a good deal. This is a functional, durable, 'no frills' cycling shoe. They're relatively comfortable to walk in (for a cycling shoe) and look pretty much like normal shoes. I've had mine for about two years and used them for hundreds of miles over all kinds of terrain and they're holding up well; no major problems except usual wear.

The Tiburon does have a few probs you might expect with such a minimalist product: Since there's no strap, I've had the shoe come off a couple times on rough terrain. On hike-a-bike sections, it doesn't provide much ankle support. Since it's made of suede, it doesn't repel water, and doesn't dry quickly when it does get wet. Also, even though the suede breathes fairly well, this shoe doesn't feature air vents like higher end shoes, so your feet can get pretty sweaty on warm days. The outer sole has an intermediate tread, and while this makes walking on pavement more comfortable, it's a little sketchy on rough terrain.

Despite my little gripes in the previous paragraph, overall this is nice, functional shoe. If you want a shoe with more amenities, I'd look elsewhere. But if you want a durable, effective shoe and don't want to spend a lot, the Tiburon is a good choice if you can find it on sale.

Favorite Trail:   It's winter here, I don't have one right now.

Purchased At:   REI.com (Outlet Store)

Similar Products Used:   Answer Tecopa, Diadora Jalapeno

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized FSR XC, all stock, except saddle (I replaced it with a Selle Italia)

Submitted by Philip Baumann a Cross Country Rider from Casper, WY. USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    The most comfortable shoe I have worn.

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Like I said these are an extremely comfortable shoe. They also fit my narrow feet well, although other axo models do not. The main problem I have with these is durability. The lace eyelits are not reinforced and they have torn through after a little over a year of use. I ride daily about seven months of the year. These shoes might be ok for someone who rides considerably less than I do.