Home | Reviews | Shoes | AXO

4.35/5 (17 Reviews)

AXO Cycling Viper

Submitted by Turk a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a 6-month follow-up to my earlier review. I've worn these shoes 5-6 days a week for commuting, weekend epics, racing--including 24-hour races--and just plain walking around town. They've been through numerous stream crossings and mud bogs (in the delightful Georgia clay), and hiked many rocky/muddy miles. In other words, these things have take a lot of abuse in 6 months. I've cleaned them just a couple times.

Upper construction, including the strap system has held up extremely well. I'm still not completed thrilled with the design of the strap system, since it creates a roll in the nylon mesh when it's cinched tight (see my earlier review), but the buckles have worn well, velcro is still in great shape, and the system WORKS). Over the entire shoe no tears, stitching is in excellent condition, nothing coming undone, nylon mesh has stretched a bit, but no distortions. No problems at all with a 4 cleat changes. The lugged soles have worn well, grip better than Northwaves, and still have a good 12 months left on them, easily. With a good cleaning, they'd look new. They are still reasonably comfortable, although they have not formed to my feet like Sidi Domi's or feel as biomechanically engineered as my old Northwaves. They're a little hot, but bearable, for the Georgia summer, and they can get a little chilly at <30 degrees F, but that's what duct tape if for. Overall, they have proven to be a great, well-made shoe, especially for the price.

Submitted by SCOTT silvers a Cross Country Rider from novi, michigan usa

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    snug grippy heel pocket - very secure, no lift. Burly construction - tough. Velcro - on or off in 5 seconds. Roomy toebox and well ventillated. Stiff sole

Weaknesses:    feels fine at first, but if you have a wide foot, this shoe gets narrower and narrower the longer you wear it - pain.
Cleat placement on the shoe can be a problem for bowfooted riders - cant rotate the cleat (shimano)far enough so feet clear cranks while pedaling

Bottom Line:
I was desperate for a good racing shoe for the 24hours of snowshoe race - got these three days prior. What a way to break in a pair of shoes. I beat these shoes up pretty bad, since I had to hikeabike pretty much the whole way - but they withstood the abuse just fine. Months later, I am still futzing around with the cleat placement - I just cant get em right. If the cleat mounting holes were closer to the big toe side of the shoe, my bowlegged feet wouldnt hit the cranks so much. Since my cleats are so cockeyed, I have big time trouble clicking in - even with new cleats, therefore I hate this shoe, even though it is pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   shimano m080, shimano m52 mid tops, basketball shoes

Bike Setup:   turner burner, z2bam, xt stuff, race face, blah blahhhhh

Submitted by brian a Cross Country Rider from bellingham

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    very well ventilated shoe, easy to get on and off due to the unique strap system.

Weaknesses:    Not very stiff, my 65$ Specialized El Gatos are alot stiffer than these Vipers. The unique strap system is a pain to fiddle with and does not seem to offer much adjustment. I'm not real happy with the fit either, not sure why I bought these now that I write this review. Must have been the on sale price and the lack of room on my credit card.

Bottom Line:
Not realy happy with the shoes, certainly not worth 129 bucks, so hopefully you buy them on sale. I'm not saying they're bad shoes, but just not right for me. I wish I would have saved a few more dollars and picked up the Diadoras. Shoes and shorts are not things to skimp on.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Kona, Zokes, Raceface, Time

Submitted by Turk a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    - looks (just this side of not looking like clown shoes)
- huge toebox (if that's what you are looking for)
- Lugs seem pretty grippy

Weaknesses:    - The upper doesn't seem as nice as '99 model--more exoskeleton (=added weight), no leather/lorica, just vinyl, plastic and mesh, from what I can see (Axo's website says leather, but it ain't true--they need to correct)
- Pretty heavy for a racing shoe.
- out of the box seems durable, but details matter: example: a cut/stamped, instead of stitched, tongue-- probably won't last you through 3 years of racing
- made in China--but what the hell, so was my bike frame.

Bottom Line:
Note: this review is for the '00 Viper (blue model).

See strengths/weaknesses above. The fit's just not right for me, oddly--I have a wide forefoot, but this was too wide! The upper would bind (Kind of create a roll) when I strapped in, and I still had too much room. I raced 'em once (sunny, dusty, 80 degree F) and they didn't fry my feet, but they're not very cool either. Seems like a good shoe, for a fair price. For a racing shoe (weight, breathability, construction) there are better out there. For a weekend performance, beat it to hell, shoe, it's probably great, but do you need to spend $130+ on that?

Similar Products Used:   Northwave, Shimano

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    The shoes are fairly light, stiff and durable unless of course you ever have to adjust or replace your cleats. Then you are screwed. The laces and strap gave me a great fit.

Weaknesses:    In the interest of stiffness they do not allow you to remove the cleat plate through the typical hatch inside the shoe. There isn't one. I had no clue about this until I tried to remove one of the plates. I let the shop take them out like AXO recommended but the threads were eroded by rust. This rules this shoe out anywhere that it rains.

Bottom Line:
If you live in a dry place like Arizona or you don't ride very much you will love these shoes. My advice to anyone that owns these is to replace the cleat bolts regularly, grease the threads often and fill the slots with silicon caulk. It is a shame because these shoes still look and fit like new.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Pup a Racer from Temecula, CA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Strengths:    Everything. This shoe has it all. They are light and stiff enough for XC but extreamly tough for downhill.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shoes made. I XC and DH race all in the same day in these shoes. They look great and hold up well. Some of my DH buddies are jeaolus even though they run flats. I wouldn't even think of using something different. Thanks for the shoes I.E. Bikes. www.iebikes.com

Favorite Trail:   Superman

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Dare, WB UD180DH, Sram 9.0sl, Hadley w/ Sun DH rims.

Submitted by Dave Montgomery a Cross Country Rider from Abilene, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Strengths:    Great Price, Solid build, light, great fit, easy to walk in.

Weaknesses:    nothing so far, probably not a good cold weather shoe

Bottom Line:
Like many of the other folks in this review , I took a chance on these shoes with out ever actually handling them.
Got mine from Jenson USA for $85. So far these shoes are outstanding, Ive never had a pair of $200 shoes but they must be really nice if they're better than the Viper. We'll see how time treats them.

Favorite Trail:   too many to mention

Similar Products Used:   Specialized shoes

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC comp

Submitted by Rob Moore from Asheville

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    All a round good shoe. Not AS expensive as others (SIDI)

Weaknesses:    not good for clip pedals

Bottom Line:
A superior shoe that offers everything ever needed. Comfortable even when I'm not on my bike. Got mine on special through Performance. Jenson had a special but not my size used the price match at Jenson and got them for cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Bike Setup:   Trek

Submitted by Gak a Cross-Country Rider from Sunnyvale,CA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Strengths:
Very Comfortable
Stiff mid sole
Breathable upper

Weaknesses:
Not a winter shoe
Yellow is too loud for me

Bottom Line:
Upgraded from Shimano 055. I find the Viper very comfortable and very stiff. I can feel that the stiffness actually help improve my pedaling stokes.The internal lacing and velcro straps gives a very snuff fit. The slight down side of the lacing and straping is that it is quite bothersome to put shoes on and to take it off.Not a winter riding shoe. Mesh breathable upper means cold feet. Will try Stormkloth wind proof socks to see if it helps.Bottom line. Great shoes. If you can find one at a good price got for it !

Gap,

Shimano 055

Marin Rift Zone

Submitted by knight a Cross-Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
Great price (Aardvark)
Fit
Not ridiculous looking

Weaknesses:
Weren't free
None, really!

Bottom Line:
AXO rules! I bought these shoes online without even trying them on and they fit perfect. Bottoms are stiff and the soles are tough and actually make engaging pedal quite easy. Smokin' deal at Aardvark (see online retailers in hotlinks!), their service rules. I've also got AXO gloves, they rule too. I'll be back in a year or so and tell you how they last.

Desert Classic

Looked at Nike, Specialized, Shimano

Goose NX7.5, Judy XC LT

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Newport, NH

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Strengths:
Good fit
Good price
Don't look horrible

Weaknesses:
Straps a little too long for my feet. Had to trim slightly to feel right with ATAC carbons

Bottom Line:
Good shoe at a great price if you catch them on special. Got mine at Jenson for $69.

Schwinn hardtail

Submitted by Jory a Cross-Country Rider from Big Bear Lake, CA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Strengths:
Comfort, Durability, PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:
None so far...

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended! I picked these up at JensenUSA.com for $85(Included toe spikes). These run true to size and have a bit of extra room in the toe area. Quite a change from most of the shoe manufacturers that seem to build their shoes around a womans last. Another nice feature is the reinforced heel counter. Quite a snug fit.(No blisters) $200 shoes are a joke. Spend $85 and use the rest for other things. These are especially good for Cyclocross as they have just enough flex to make them very comfortable runners. The rubber is also especially tacky for superior traction. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

Nike, Shimano...

Cyclocross

Submitted by Too Fast a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, well made, has all the features you want.

Weaknesses:
vinyl material on toe cap scuffs up

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great. Fit true to size,comfortable,& good traction.They work perfectly with Time pedals (no need to trim sole). For the price, they are better than anything on the market.

Shimano, & Answer

Time pedals

Submitted by Jared a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
Comfort, and Stiffness.

Weaknesses:
None so far.

Bottom Line:
I love these shoes so far. I took a gamble on buying them over the internet, not trying them on at all, but for $80 US, I couldn't go wrong! Awsome shoe. I have a very wide foot and it fits really well around my foot. Plus to despite what others say the laces arn't a problem. They are good length for me

C-Soles, Nikes, Sidi

Custom Rig. Sachs, Sun XC Rims, Sub Zero Mongoose Frame...

Submitted by Dee a Cross-Country Rider from Latrobe,PA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 1999

Strengths:
Great fitting shoe. Seems to be holding up very well, so far. Good traction on the rubber soles. Good placement of front spikes. Soles are nice and stiff!

Weaknesses:
Velcro straps are a bit too long, especially for narrower feet. Laces are also too long.

Bottom Line:
A very nice shoe for the money. The fit is great and the workmanship seems to be outstanding.

Laurel Mt.