Home | Reviews | Shoes | AXO

4.75/5 (24 Reviews)

AXO Cycling Summit

Submitted by Forrest a Racer from East Lansing, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Strengths:    VERY long lasting... I've been riding these shoes for more than 3 years, and they are still just as stiff and strong as they were when I bought them new. And yes I did get them for $15, on clearance. The are incredibly comfortable and have really molded to fit my foot; I really don't think anything could compare to them at this point in comfortability. I will wear them until there is nothing left but a strap.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but its a cycling shoe that has lasted me a LONG time... so I'm not complaining.

Bottom Line:
I would buy another pair, or two or three... but I wouldn't have to because they last so long... I have put TONS of miles on these things and there is such little wear and they don't even scuff easy. The mold to your feet and are super comfortable. If you are lucky enough to find some brand new, or even lightly used, BUY THEM, or else I will.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest, North of Toronto

Purchased At:   Team Active

Similar Products Used:   None... havn't needed to... These are my lucky shoes.

Bike Setup:   Trek STP200 OCLV. Surly 1x1 single speed. I have TIME pedals attached to the shoes and the interface feels so much better than with SPD.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from All over the place

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Strengths:    Great traction on pretty much anything, lace-ups mean nice fit, toe spike compatable.

Weaknesses:    Used to think the colors were cool...but the blue and yellow is getting to me a bit. Tread in the front has gotten shreded and ripped off with time.

Bottom Line:
I've had these shoes for what seems like forever. I originally had my heart set on something else, and the shop was just starting to sell AXO, so the owner gave me a brake on them. I like how the laces feel over the neoprene tongue, snug and firm, but not tight. The straps work well, although the top one has a bump in it, at the seam of the velcro, so when you tighten it, it kind of goes from comfy to TIGHT in a big jump. I've had the nylon webbing pull out for that strap, too, but luckily there's a sewing department where I work, so that wasn't an issue for me for long. The tread is really grippy, held like glue through a lot of "adventure" biking in the backcountry in AZ - you know, the rides where it's almost more a hike. That being said, the tread is completely gone on the right toe, and pretty torn up everywhere else. But these are also 7 years old and I put in 1,000+ miles a year for 3 or 4 of the years I've had them. Bottom line is this: If you can still find them, get them. As long as you don't mind the color!

Favorite Trail:   Prison Camp, Tucson, AZ

Purchased At:   $90

Similar Products Used:   Nike Pedali Comp

Bike Setup:   1) Specailzed Rock Hopper (steel framed) w/ stock drivetrain, RockShox Indy XC, and I'm on the 4th saddle for this bike

2) Gary Fisher Joshua XO, Time ATAC Alium, Marzocchi z3, the rest is stock.

3) Trek 1200 Road Bike, same pedals from my Fisher, Thompson seat post, stock everything.

4) Vintage Trek 1400 road bike, 105 everything

5) Custom-built 1983 Trek steel lugged frame, still filling in the details on this one...hopefully all Campy!

Submitted by Guille SM a Weekend Warrior from Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    Son cómodas, tienen buen agarre y se ajustan mas que bien a la anatomia del pie.

Weaknesses:    Toma mucho tiempo ponertelas...

Bottom Line:
Las zapatillas estan muy buenas, ya que son comodas, se adaptan facilmente a tu pie como se enganchan con cordones, y belcro no se te desatan mas. Se nota que son zapatillas de muy buena calidad y duraderas. Te las recomiendo.

Favorite Trail:   Circuito XC, Pilar

Purchased At:   Mercadolibre (used)

Bike Setup:   Vairo XR8800, LX/Acera/Ovation, Rock Shox, Vuelta Excalibur FR, Magura Clara, etc

Submitted by Josef a Racer from Milpitas

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff yet flexible,flashy yet unobnoxious,sticky on rocks.
Colors are cool and the shoes fit like a glove,except if you have long big-toe nails.Uh,that's what I heard.

Weaknesses:    None really except that you do have to loosen the laces a bit but you want a snug fit right?

Bottom Line:
Great shoe,nice looks,grippy were it counts and a real steal at $6.99! Hah! Yes,they're new and not stolen.
eBay ain't such a big deal huh? Now it's time to smoke some squirrel on a poser bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere where there's dirt!

Purchased At:   Savers

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPDs and Specialized.

Bike Setup:   All of them?Ok.'93 Ritchey Softtail XTR,91 Haro Extreme Deore XT,'92 Stumpjumper Team XT,'89 Rockhopper XT,'99 Moab Suntour XC Expert and Pro.More on the way.

Submitted by tristan a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Good price, well made, very comfortable and looking good. Everything is good except I don't think these shoes are still available.

Purchased At:   performancebike

Bike Setup:   a frame and two wheels and,,,

Submitted by dacbiet a Cross Country Rider from behind the orange curtain, california

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    Shoe is well built and fits me propely. No hole cutting for cleats is always a big plus. Comfortable to ride with as well as walk on. These shoes don't feel awkward when you're off your bike.

Weaknesses:    none yet. Shoe laces must be very loose in order to get your foot in the shoe.

Bottom Line:
For the money I paid ($32 on Ebay) for a new pair of shoes like these, the decision to buy them was a no-brainer. I hope they last a while

Purchased At:   Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   look

Bike Setup:   cannondale f2000sx, shimano 747s

Submitted by Pete McCann a Racer from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great pair of shoes! My Sidis haven't left the gear bag since I got these. I find them much more comfortable. The fastening system is the most secure I've ever used. They offer excellent ventilation due to the mesh upper (a big plus almost year round in these parts.
These shoes offer much improved traction over the Sidis and other shoes with hard plastic lugs, since the lugs on the Axo shoes are rubber. They have much better grip on rocks, roots and logs while maintaining excellent stiffness and power transfer to the cranks. These shoes coupled with my Time carbon atacs and Raceface cranks are providing the best power transfer I've experienced in 20 years of mountain biking. Best of all I have no more foot pain and don't notice the shoes at all except for improved climbing and acceleration! I've also been using Axo knee/shin guards for over a year with excellent results. I only wis I'd had these shoes on my recent trip to Moab-they would have worked really well on slickrock where shoe traction can be kind of important....Keep up the good work Axo!

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator II, Nike

Bike Setup:   Custom Aeon Isis SL

Submitted by Andrew Jones a Cross Country Rider from Reno, Nevada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Strengths:    Fits very well on my big hoofs.

Weaknesses:    Metal ring that the top velcro strap loops through is tearing through the nylon. One more month after only 3 and I believe the ring will tear thru and make the shoe useless.

Bottom Line:
I thought these shoes were the greatest until I noticed what was going on with the metal ring. Unacceptable! I don't even know if it's worth contacting AXO about this. But for $130 I need these shoes to last more that one season. I ride maybe 30 miles a week if that, so I don't consider myself to much of a hard rider, but I'm no weekend warrior. I don't recommend these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe flume trail

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Spokane Wa

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    price,good value
well built
comfortable

Weaknesses:    had to trim bottom to fit my speedplay frogs.

Bottom Line:
This is a great pair of shoes! I feel like i got a great value for $100.00 dollars.Nothing has fallen apart or is coming apart.My feet are comfortable and stay cool while riding,The shoe is even nice to walk around in.
As far as how the size runs i were a 9 1/2 nike crosstrainer
and purchased a size 10 axo summit.At first i thought they were a little loose in the heal, but after 4 or 5 rides the shoe molded to my foot. actually it fits great now.
I bought these shoes from its good rating on mtb review
and am happy i did ,no mistakes here just good value and craftsmanship, you cant go wrong with AXO SUMMIT SHOES!

Favorite Trail:   mica peak

Similar Products Used:   shimano comp

Bike Setup:   Specialized stumpjumper comp

Submitted by MATT a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Strengths:    STIFF, COMFY TO WALK ON, GRIPPY ON DA ROCKS, AND E.P. PRICE WAS NICE

Weaknesses:    NADDA

Bottom Line:
GREAT SHOE...DON'T TURN 'EM DOWN. THEY COME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FROM ME AND ALL THE OTHER REVIEWER SO MAKE THE MOVE TO AXO!

Favorite Trail:   MILLERS POINT

Similar Products Used:   FIRST PAIR

Bike Setup:   GT HARDTAIL, WHITE BRO. LT FORK, CANE CREEK WAMS, 747'S

Submitted by Stu a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    wide toe box
stiff sole
laces and Velcro straps
good looks

Weaknesses:    heavier than other shoes

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable shoe for my big feet. My feet were sqeezed big time in my old Specialized Comps. Still have the bruses under the nails on my big toes. Lucked out buying them a Jenson when they went on sale for $75. Normally sold for $119. These are worth full retail if you need a wider shoe.

Favorite Trail:   The last uncrowded one

Similar Products Used:   Shimano
Specialized Comp

Bike Setup:   Titus Quazi Moto
Marzocchi Z1 BAM
Shimano 747s

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Claremont, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    This is a great shoe. It fits my slightly wide foot much better than the specialized, nike, or sidi products. They are stiff, but not uncomfortable to walk in.

Bottom Line:
Get 'em. Mine cost $105.00 from Cambria.

Favorite Trail:   Claremont Wilderness Park

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Nike, Sidi

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo with Time pedals

Submitted by L R a Weekend Warrior from Flagstaff, Az USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    I have yet to use the shoe (I'm new to clipless) but it looks extremely durable and tough. I bought on the recommendation of MTBR.

Weaknesses:    None yet, will repost if I have any problems.

Bottom Line:

I wanted to mention that I bought these on-sale, online. Being the rookie that I am, the length I bought was in that funky European size, and I bought way too big. I knew the company I bought online with would charge me to return...sooo I called AXO direct. One of their reps took care of my problem sending me a correct size and didn't even charge me return shipping. Thanks AXO.

Favorite Trail:   Fischer Point & Buffalo Park