Home | Reviews | Shoes | AXO

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

AXO Cycling Cortez

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Az

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    decent tought upper shoe. Good ankle support with the high-top style. Velcro strap functionally keeps shoelaces out of your cranks.

Weaknesses:    Hot, very hot. Thick black rubber/leather toe is not breathable. The dogbones(metal pieces the cleats screw into) that come with them are thin and shift easily. Also the midsection of the sole split after about four months of wear. I liquid nailed the sole back together. To be candid, I'm not sure if its Axo's fault, I have a bad habbit of riding on that part of the shoe if I can't get clipped in for some reason, or if I unclip for a puck 9(something scary).

Bottom Line:
I could imagine these things would be much more useful in a colder or wetter enviroment. For me I think the heat in the shoe is a little too much in AZ. I spray painted mine white and drilled holes in them. For those shoe shopping I reccomend trying on several different pairs, its worth spending an extra $20 if the shoes are better for the enviroment.

Similar Products Used:   First pair of bike shoes.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3+DISC with Eggbeater pedals. Note: No surgery needed with these shoes!

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Canastota NY USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    Fit, durability.

Weaknesses:    Sole a little too flexy.

Bottom Line:
Had these shoes for two seasons now, and they still look and work like new. They've been completely unrecognizable as footwear with mud, but I let' em dry, brushed the most of the mud off with a stiff brush, tossed 'em in the washer and they came out good as new. I wish they had had the slightly taller ones (that they sell now) when I bought mine, but oh well...I also wish the soles were a little more rigid, but that'll be my next pair, IF and WHEN these wear out!

Favorite Trail:   anything without SNOW on it!

Bike Setup:   Like it matters?

Submitted by Adam S. a Cross Country Rider from Holbrook, NY

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Comfort, Weight, Breathability

Weaknesses:    Stiffness, Not so good in rain or mud.

Bottom Line:
I love these shoes. They are very comfortable, my feet do not cramp up at all! They are very light and are vented very well, my feet do not get that sweaty.. I would not recommend them for racing b/c they are not that stiff. Also in wet conditions your feet will get soaked (but then again, I think in any shoe your fill would get wet). Overall, these are great shoes for the price (I got them for 70 bux at my LBS), so far that have lasted w/o any ripped laces and the sticthing is still intact. I do not plan to upgrade to a better shoe or any other shoe in the time being. Matter of fact when these are destroyed, I will probably buy 'em again!

Favorite Trail:   Not Tellin'

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   00' Schwinn Moab Disc, Full XTR, Moneky Lite, Time ATAC Carbons

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Northeast California

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    not ugly, fit well, not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Velcro patch kinda short on the strap.

Bottom Line:
First pair of clipless shoes...fit my wide feet well (size 42. Fairly light. Black and gray color looks OK after a few rides. Doesn't rub on the back of the heel. Good traction in the loose stuff. SPD cleats fit well. Not sorry I bought them. Still comfortable after three or four hours of riding. Have no idea how they will hold up long-term. 4 burning lungs for these puppies.

Favorite Trail:   right out my door

Bike Setup:   '92 Bridgestone MB-2 rigid

Submitted by Sonny a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    What happened to quality control?

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes for my wife. Pulled 'em out of the box, pulled out the inserts to mount the cleats and, whoa! both inserts were for left feet. So this review concerns quality control at AXO. It sucks! If this company ever does right by me, I'll be back to give the shoes a fair review.