Home | Reviews | Shoes | Answer

Answer Talvera Shoes

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

• Breathable mesh to wick sweat
  • Exclusive lateral heel strap (LHS) retention system
  • Thick Nubuck upper provides

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Alan Koslowski from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    Durability, Comfort, Value, Looks like a normal shoe (more or less), good value

Weaknesses:    Soft sole, no straps, minimal ventillation, availability (I don't think this product is in production anymore)

Bottom Line:
    I wore a pair of answer XC-1 for about three years and they served me very well. I originally bought them for mountain biking, but over the last couple years I've gotten out of moutain biking and bike for commuting and recreation (on roads and mostly paved trails).

My XC-1 were getting worn down and aren't the best choice for general riding (stiff, uncomfortable), so I decided it was time to get another shoe. I wanted a durable, reasoably confortable shoe I could walk in as well as bike in. I found a great deal on a new 2000 year pair, and they seemed to fit the bill.

After about six months of riding the shoe has performed very well. For a cleated bike shoe, it's comfortable to walk in, and pretty much like a normal shoe (it has laces and no straps). The sole is fairly soft, but still firm enough to provide decent power transer.

If you want a competitve racing shoe you should look elsewhere. Performance is secondary to comfort with this shoe. If you want a durable, afforable, and comfortable shoe that works on and off the bike, the Talvera is one of the best options out there (if you can find it).

Similar Products Used:   Answer Tecopa, Answer XC-1

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek XO cyclcross bike, stock

Submitted by Leon from peckville, pa

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
    great shoe, i could wear them all day and not get blisters or any pains. lightweight and comfortable.

Purchased At:   bike hub

Submitted by Travis W a Weekend Warrior from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    comfortable, looks decent, can walk around with some sense of normalcy when off your steed.

Weaknesses:    none for me

Bottom Line:
    good shoe for me. i suppose if you raced on a regular occurance these might not be the shoe for you. i just haven't gotten into the spandex, superstiff plastic bike shoe thing yet.

Favorite Trail:   rim trail, moab

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   univega alpina 600, stx/lx, standard beater bike.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Lititz

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap worked well

Bottom Line:
    Would buy this shoe again.....at full price

Purchased At:   Swap meet

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3+

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Strengths:    good looking

Weaknesses:    poor support

Bottom Line:
    These shoes didn't work for me. I'm 175 lbs -- maybe that had something to do with it. Great looking but poor support -- not stiff enough and the footbed seemed to be the wrong shape -- not enough arch support, maybe. I sent 'em back.

I have also tried similar "hybrid"-style shoes by Cannondale, Shimano, and Diadora, and none of them worked for me -- only a good quality racing-style MTB or road shoe has given me the support I need for total performance, dude!

My advice is, if you are going to do any serious trail riding, get a racing-style, stiff, overbuilt shoe, not a shoe that tries to be all things to all people.

Favorite Trail:   mt. Tam

Similar Products Used:   shoes by Specialized, Diadora, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F600, shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Hollywood, FL

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great price, looks and fit

Weaknesses:    none noted

Bottom Line:
    Great shoe for the price. Very comfortable and feet stay cool in them. This is my first pair of clipless shoes and I was pleasantly surprised with the Answer.

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale ridgid with full XT

Submitted by DR. DRE a Weekend Warrior from BOOGIE-DOWN PRODUCTIONZ

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    Amazingly easy to clean,not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Beautifully sculpted rugged sole underneath. Hard rubber spikes in the front were a very good idea. Reflective strip on the back def adds visibility. Very durable so far.

Weaknesses:    No half sizes. Other than that i don't think people will run into any major problems with this shoe.

Bottom Line:
    The perfect shoe for anyone who is not racing. Def one of the best shoes out this year. Perfect for the trail rider who comes in contact with a lot of hike-a-bike sections. Can be worn when not riding and no one will be the wiser. very comfortable and good durable all around shoe.

Favorite Trail:   ANYTHING STEEP & TECHNICAL

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Shimano, Northwave, Nike.

Bike Setup:   Freeride baby!~

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Newport, KY (USA)

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    Durable. Easy-to-clean materials. Comfortable. Perfect for my needs...cycle commuting and bike-n-hiking. Price (if you can find them at this price still). Great traction when portaging in the mud and like the built in soft toe spikes.

Weaknesses:    Laces instead of straps and nothing covering laces.

Bottom Line:
    I'd highly recommend these shoes to just about anyone except the hardcore rider/racer. I've used them off road and on, and I've been very pleased. I assumed I'd sacrifice some on-the-bike performance to gain a little off-the-bike versatility. But I can't tell that I've really given up that much. The soles are stiffer than you'd expect for a recreational shoe, and the materials are super durable. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat, even at a higher price.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever I'm riding today!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Really old Shimano mountain biking shoes. Addidas soccer shoes. High-top Converse "Chucks"...hahahaha.

Bike Setup:   2000 Rocky Mountain Fusion, stock except for Rock Shox Judy Race fork, WTB Trail Grips and Shimano SPD 536 pedals.

Submitted by Troy Gerena a Weekend Warrior from Coral Springs , FL.

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Can walk in and drive to trails in.
    Good power transfer to clipless pedals.

Weaknesses:    none, we'll see.

Bottom Line:
    If your looking for a shoe you can really beat on.
    Pick these.But if your on the market for a racing shoe.
    Their not for you. But, what do I know, I ride 3-4 times
    a week And don't race.
    Would like to one day,I think the shoes would be heavy.
    But for now,Riding is the best drug.

Favorite Trail:   All of Markham park

Purchased At:   sun&ski

Similar Products Used:   Specialized sport MTB=great shoe.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback XR-4

Submitted by Buddy a Weekend Warrior from Rogers, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Good price, fits well, good power transfer to pedal, can be upgraded to clipless

Weaknesses:    None as of yet. Will let you know in six months.

Bottom Line:
    So far for the money I am pleased. I am new to this sport (but I like it!) As a FNG, it can be difficult to filter through all of the bull s@#t advertising (i.e. this shoe does this or does that) but the guys at Fayetteville Bike Company helped me with the selection. I do like the extra tread on the shoe (for some reason I do a lot of hike a bike) and in loose soil and rocks the shoe performs well. I gave 3 chilis for value, 4 chilis overall, nothing is perfect. This shoe is a good shoe for the person wahting to spend less than 100 bucks, and learn more about the sport when it comes to proper equipment.

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm on

Purchased At:   Fayettville Bicycle Company