Home | Reviews | Shoes | Answer

• Exclusive lateral heel strap (LHS) retention system

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by urbanknight a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, comfortable, gets the job done

Bottom Line:
    Don't bother with the laces. The first thing I did was take those out. The shoes stay on my feet just fine without them, and otherwise function just like any other 3 velcro shoe. They're not as stiff as a racing shoe, but are a great compromise of walkability and pedal efficiency.

Favorite Trail:   Rogers Rd

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Nike Poobah, Pearl Izumi Vegabond III

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized Rockhopper A1 comp, stock except for 28h Deore/Mavic 221 wheels.

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    -stiff sole
    -OK for walking
    -cheap

Weaknesses:    -very uncomfortable (at least for me)
    -the tongue ripped out while i was putting on the shoe
    -laces are very thin, so when tight they make my foot numb
    -take forever to put on
    -skinny sole

Bottom Line:
    I can't say these shoes didn't slow me down because they did. I can't wait to get another pair. I can honestly say this is the worst peice of equipment I have... mainly because they are very uncomfortable, take forever to put on, and the shoe laces are so thin that they are painful when tight.
    Plus, the tongue ripped out about in about 4 months.
    They are reasonably good for the price however, so if you need a cheap shoe and they're on sale, grab 'em ... maybe you'll have better luck, judging on the other reviews.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   Supergo, SM

Bike Setup:   2004 NRS 2 stock with Time ALIUM pedals.

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Nashua,NH

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    Price, and comfort

Weaknesses:    Sole falls apart quickly.

Bottom Line:
    Great beginner shoe for the price. The shoe is stiff but still high in comfort and easy to get used too. But if you ride often and long, the sole will not last. I have 2 seasons on mine and they need replacement.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kahunna Deluxe with SPD pedals

Submitted by mark Lyndon a Weekend Warrior from Auckland NewZealand

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    Fit, strength, stiff, style, material

Weaknesses:    To stiff for mean long hike abikes up steep as tracks...absolutley kill my calfes ie dosnt allow feet to bend and use achilles...may be I have to do more walking in them

Bottom Line:
    Really nice shoe to pedal in, nice than mu old lakes, are a bit to stiff to walk in for along way (maybe if I was fitter I would ride those sections!)...anyway the fit is great and they dry well after wet rides...I would buy again..will use my lakes for hiking type epic rides

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   RR Sport

Similar Products Used:   Lakes

Bike Setup:   Kona Kahuna o3 deluxe with Time Atacs

Submitted by Travis Scoresby a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UTAH

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive, stiff bottom, tight lacing system, really good power transfer.

Weaknesses:    They kinda look like elf shoes. A little narrow if your planning on doing mostly downhill or alot of hiking.

Bottom Line:
    The best shoe to have if you want power in your foot stroke and your on a budget. Obviously there are better shoes out there for more specific applications, but for the buck these can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   MILL D!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Aardvark Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek shoes

Bike Setup:   Haro- all XT

Submitted by Ben Hart a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Leather upper is very tought and durable. Taken tons of knocks and still going strong

Weaknesses:    Had to cut away part of the sole to clip into my DH pedals

Bottom Line:
    Can't go wrong

Favorite Trail:   Carricktown Loop, Otago NZ

Similar Products Used:   Diadora shoe

Bike Setup:   2000 enduro, manitou x-vert super forks, LX drivetrain

Submitted by RT a Cross Country Rider from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    The lacing system provides a good fit throughout the foot. Nice and roomy toe box and the heel cup fits well. Velcro flap for keeping the laces out of the crankset is nice.

Weaknesses:    The tread on the sole is a bit narrow so you have to make sure you have good footing if having to hike a bike.

Bottom Line:
    I have narrow feet and narrow heels. These shoes fit well with the laces and the velcro straps. On cold days I can put on an extra pair of socks and not feel any discomfort. They have so far survived six months of my wipeouts and even getting chewed on by my dog.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   none, first time clipless

Bike Setup:   2000 rockhopper with nashbar's copy of the the wellgo 800 pedals.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    comfortable, laces and velcro

Weaknesses:    they arn't the quickest thing to get into but who cares? they arn't the most stylish things either

Bottom Line:
    These are my first pair of clipless shoes and I'm very impressed with them for the price. They're very comfortable, and they fit my wide feet without any discomfort whatsoever. I like the laces and velcro combination because the laces snug the shoes and the velcro holds the flap to cover the laces. This is great because you don't get laces stuck in your pedals. They have held up grade, no signs of wear. This shoe was actually more comfortable than a Sidi that cost twice as much! However, for a shoe you really need to try as many different shoes on as possible... not something I'd want to buy mail order without trying them on first. I can't think of a reason not to buy these shoes, unless they you tried them on and they don't fit(or if you can't find your size).

Favorite Trail:   Muddy Hollow

Purchased At:   River Sports in Knoxville, TN

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Nike, a few other brands that i can't recall

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Time ATAC Carbons, Sella Italia Flite TI

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort! good looks. lightweight. Held up fine so far - no apparent wear after 1 year.

Weaknesses:    shoelaces get eaten up by the velcro on the straps as you take'em on and off.

Bottom Line:
    Comfortable shoes! I can wear these all day long; they feel like sneakers, though they really provide a good platform for cleats. I use them for both MTB'ing and road riding - they would make great shoes for cyclocross.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Tried several competitive brands in similar price range - these just slipped on perfect!

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000 and Litespeed Tuscany

Submitted by K-Man a Racer from an Diego

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff sole and race ready. Nice blue and gray touch. They work well for me in all kinds of rocky conditions. Laces plus two straps give me a good fit. A size 9 is still a size 9 at Answer.

Weaknesses:    Kinda iffy rubber sole, shoegoo comes in handy when they begin to wear down.

Bottom Line:
    Nobody comes close to this deal people. They are not elite racing shoes but they get the job done for under 70 bucks. Who could ask for more? Good shoes, great price and nice snug fit.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Scott, shimano

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Rock Hound, soooooooo sweeeeeeet.

Submitted by John Parker a Weekend Warrior from Louisville Ky

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Good construction...cool looks...good price...nice tread..extremely comfortable

Weaknesses:    laces suck..but who cares when they cost 2 bucks

Bottom Line:
    Great shoe for the price, i dont see the use in buying a shoe for more than 70.00 considering how much i ride... replace the laces asap...works well

Bike Setup:   jamis eureka le

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    Very stiff soles and really has a nice feel. Plus, it looks pretty studley and it's cheap!

Weaknesses:    Takes some time to get in and out of the shoes, but that's it.

Bottom Line:
    Great value for a sweet shoe. Only really used these shoes for a couple of weeks though. Hope they dont die after a month, but I guess I will find out. So far, great stuff

Favorite Trail:   Anything with a slope

Similar Products Used:   Answer Impact

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Aquila

Submitted by Tino a Weekend Warrior from Roxbury, CT

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    awesome price, stiff sole, great quality at this price range, keeps my feet cool, laces and straps ensure a good fit.

Weaknesses:    velcro straps chew up laces

Bottom Line:
    a great shoe and an awesome price that performs like a shoe costing twice as much.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt