Home | Reviews | Shoes | Answer

Answer Accelerator Shoes Shoes

3.2/5 (138 Reviews)

Answer Accelerator Shoes

Submitted by New Poty a Weekend Warrior from Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Strengths:    Fit well, work well, look good.

Weaknesses:    Laces AND straps seems like overkill. Takes forever to put on and take off.

Bottom Line:
After seeing the prices others paid for these shoes on this page, it confirms to me that Canadians are RIPPED OFF by Canadian bike retailers. The attitude of sellers here is to charge a premium, as Canadians have nowhere else to turn. This has changed. I should have bought these online from an American retailer. Even with taxes, duty, and shipping, I'd save a bundle.

Favorite Trail:   Niagara Parkway

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin with disc brakes.

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Redding, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2004

Strengths:    Have worn like Iron for 5 years.

Weaknesses:    Stiff so if you have to do any walking you end up with blisters on the back of your heel.

Bottom Line:
I have worn these since Summer of 99 with my mtn. bike and with my road bike and they are finally now getting to where I need to replace them. The soles are nearly worn down now to the inner sole. I had to superglue the uppers back down onto the sole and have since gotten another 6 months out of them with no signs of coming apart again. Don't know why others are having problems with the soles. I ride a lot and I have gotten tons of wear out of them.

Favorite Trail:   The Chimney

Purchased At:   performance I think

Similar Products Used:   Shimano's

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Epic, Surly 1X1

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Cedar Falls, IA USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Strengths:    got them for a good price. lace flap feature is nice to keep laces from dangling. cool looking

Weaknesses:    fell apart after three months.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes to try out the clipless pedal system to see how I liked it. They worked very nicely until one day when I went to clip out with one shoe and the cleat just ripped the rubber surrounding it. they were a little beat up when I got them so it could have been from the fact that they were used. good if you can find them for cheap to try out clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   cannondale tera. ritchey pedals.

Submitted by Cathy a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    great fit, have lasted forever

Weaknesses:    treads starting to wear

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review of these shoes back in 98, and they are still going strong. I ride 3 to 4 days a week on rough rocky Arizona terrain and they have never failed me. The tread on the outside of one shoe is starting to delaminate but nothing serious, and a couple of stitches in one toe have worn through (been like that for several years). The soles are still very stiff but the leather is like sweet yellow butta.

I too would like a new pair of shoes cuz I'm sick of looking at them and so are my pals. The XC1 looks like it could be a good replacement...but I can't justify it when they work great. I can only hope that they die soon or get stolen. Five flamin hot ones!

Purchased At:   LBS on clearance

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Stumpy Pro

Submitted by eric a Racer from ct

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    good fit. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    The sole is almost completly off, they look like road shoes!

Bottom Line:
Horrible Shoes that fit well, Don't buy them unless they are very, very cheap.

Similar Products Used:   Alpinestar (very good)
Adidas

Submitted by eric a Racer from ct

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    good fit. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    The sole is almost completly off, they look like road shoes!

Bottom Line:
Horrible Shoes that fit well, Don't buy them unless they are very, very cheap.

Similar Products Used:   Alpinestar (very good)
Adidas

Submitted by Colby a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    Great all around shoe, fits perfect. After 2000 miles, they are still as good as new.

Weaknesses:    It's p*ssing me off. I want a new pair but these won't die on me.

Bottom Line:
Been riding with these forever and they still fit and function better than my last bike (Specialized FSR Elite). The colors are flashy but cool looking. Got them on sale so I didn't expect to keep them for so long, I have ridden more than 2000 miles in every weather possible from winter blizzard to hurricans. I have crashed many times but the only thing that survives to this day are these shoes. D*amn Accelerators! I want new shoes!

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Uzzi SL, XTR groupo and a bunch of other good stuff.

Submitted by fonseca a Weekend Warrior from somehwere in the shanandoah valley

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Strengths:    pretty stiff, comfortable

Weaknesses:    I can't complain after 5 years really, but the soles are coming off in chunks

Bottom Line:
I bought these and a pair of shimano 747s in fall of '96, and 5 years and thousands of miles later these are the only two products that I have yet to upgrade. I have gone through two pairs of timberlands in this time. I wanted to buy new bike shoes for years but these won't wear out! They are so comfortable that I often wore them when riding/walking to class on campus. They have been submerged in mud and water hundreds of times and generally abused. Props to answer for making such a great product.

I'm going to retire them as the straps are geting pretty worn, and my dog chewed up the right shoe when he was teething. Not yet sure what will replace these, but I will try to buy answer: any company that makes a product like this deserves some consumer loyalty.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   '01 jamis dakar expert

Submitted by Steve Fruitado a Racer from Toronto,On,Can

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Nada.

Weaknesses:    Design, construction, etc.

Bottom Line:
I owned these shoes for all but two weeks before the soles started coming apart. Three other people I know experienced the same issue within the same amount of time. If your in the market for a new pair of shoes, do all of us victims a favour and spend your money elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   The Don

Purchased At:   Duke's

Similar Products Used:   El gato, Dominator

Bike Setup:   to go fast.

Submitted by Jovan a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable. The laces under the straps combo is good. It is wider than italian-made shoes which makes 'em great for people with wide feet.

As for the color combination, i loved the Mango Yellow-Blue color.

Weaknesses:    You probably read it here, but I'll say it again -- delapidating soles. after two years of riding, my accelerators look like road bike shoes.

Bottom Line:
Could've been counted as one of the greatest mountain bike shoes of all time if it weren't for the soles. What a pity.

Favorite Trail:   Batangas Trails

Purchased At:   The Bike Room

Similar Products Used:   Shimanos and Sidis

Bike Setup:   Cross Country CAAD3 with a Marzocchi Z.2 Bam Fork and Spox Wheelset.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Campbell, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff sole
Agressive tread & studs
Fits wide feet well

Weaknesses:    I've wore out the studs and when I tried to replace them they broke. Now I'm SOL for studs

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes when I bought my bike in March 2000 and now their dust. I did not have any problems with the soles; however, they are softer than other shoes.

I have found Nike and Specialized shoes to be too narrow for my 11.5 size foot. Answer shoes fit very nice. I just purchased their "top of the line" XC shoe because of my satisfaction with the Accelerators. Yes, they only lasted 7 months, but I'm pretty hard on shoes. I feel that I got what I paid for and that they would have lasted longer if I didn't ride so hard... These are a great "newbie"/rookie/first time clipless-rider shoe.

Purchased At:   www.nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized & Nike

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    Strong nylon, no tears yet. Ok in comfort.

Weaknesses:    Bottom rubber soles started to tear away when I rode with my shoe unclipped. I could basically see the inner sole. Very generically made might I add. But its a decent shoe, the price is moderate, not a deal but something you'll need to invest in sooner or later if you want performance. It's UGLY. Red yellow black, what the hell was I thinking???

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you got a GREAT deal otherwise ditch em. They are ugly, I can't stand to look down sometimes when i'm in the public. Durability-wise they are decent. Except that one tac has fallen off and I returned to using no tacs. If you ever ride the Dip sea trail look out for it. They hurt if the velcro straps do not sit aligned. The outside material is great. If you have a red bike, some dough, and want a decent pair of shoes this is for you.

Favorite Trail:   Miwok Trail

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   first bike shoes since sneakers

Bike Setup:   Kona Muni Mula XT, Schwinn Homegrown XT, Cannondale Roadie

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely stiff sole, good fit (for me)

Weaknesses:    Soles peal of shoe, ugly color, spikes fall out.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these shoes are great (for the first 3 months). I wore mine 6 days a week to train and during races the first season I had them. I love the stiffness, it's great for climbing. The spikes are helpful, until they fall out, midrace I might add. And the sole has a really agressive tread, until it falls off. I used these 2 summers ago, and loved them. Then last year the sole started to pull away from the upper of the shoe, and the sole began to peel off. I still like these shoes and use them to train, but never to race. I wouldn't reccomend buying them unless you can find them cheap. I don't think they sold well so it's easy to find them for 30 to 40 bucks. Otherwise, go buy something else.

Similar Products Used:   shimano, axo

Bike Setup:   Trek 8700 OCLV, manitou mars, xtr setup

Submitted by Paul Rhodes a Racer from Manchester, NH

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    cost, fit, and look cool.

Weaknesses:    1 toe spike fell out during a cross race

Bottom Line:
I believe people when they say their soles have fallen off, but it makes me wonder about how they treat their shoes. I have had these shoes for 2 years and have raced both my mtn bike and cross bike with them. I lost one toe spike somehow, and I can see where the sole has seperated a tiny bit (it has been like that for a year, and has not gotten any worse). For me these shoes fit well and have held up to everything I have used them in. Maybe I got the only good pair ever made. And for only $69 bikes from a local shop, I would say I have gotten (and am still getting) my monies worth out of these shoes. I like 'em. So if you can find some dirt cheap and feel lucky you can see if you end up with a pair that lasts like mine have.

Favorite Trail:   anything tight and twisty

Purchased At:   Goodales bike and ski