Airwalk Sprocket Shoes

Airwalk Sprocket

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap and durable. Good for walking.

Weaknesses:    Heal strap seemed to do nothing. Green models are ugly!

Bottom Line:
I have finally retired these shoes now that the toes have blown out in each shoe. Normally I would be unhappy with my shoes falling apart, but I have had them for six long years. For that entire time I never gave a second thought to my shoes because they never gave me a problem, They just worked. After buying them on clearance I was expecting them to only last a couple of seasons. I do have to say that these may be the ugliest shoes ever (they are the green models). Its too bad Airwalk is no longer making MTB shoes, it would make shopping a lot easier.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 1

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Perth

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Comfy. Casual. SPD cleat recessed so you can wear them anywhere. Warm enough in the mild aussie climate. Durable. Versatile

Weaknesses:    Hotish in Summer. Flexy sole doesn't make for all out racer power transfer.

Bottom Line:
See my two previous reviews. I've now had these over three years. I wear them heaps and commute with them at least 3 time a week. I wear them most of the day when I am at Technical College. Most people can't even tell they are cycling shoes.

They are about to die but considering the use they get it's not surprising.

Not sure if Airwalk are still doing this type of thing which is a shame as I'll struggle to find shoes to replace
them.

Favorite Trail:   Dwellingup

Similar Products Used:   Carnac. Shimano.

Bike Setup:   1997 Park-Pre. 8 Speed XT everywhere you look

Submitted by Mike alstatt a Racer from mesquite

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2000

Strengths:    comfortable

Weaknesses:    sole sucked

Bottom Line:
These shoes sucked.the soles split and become unglued to the inner sole.I just sent back my 2nd pair.Both spocket and hammer shoes blew apart at the sole in only a few months

Favorite Trail:   Big Bend Ranch

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Utah County, UT

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've been extremely happy with my Sprockets the whole time I've had them. Getting the sole lug removed for installing my Speedplay Frog cleats was like trying to unshoe a horse with your bare fingers. I was also quite happy to know that my unusually-sized cleats posed no problems when I was installing them on these shoes because I had heard of other Speedplay owners that had to cut away half their sole to install the cleat.
Once the cleats were in and I'd adjusted them after riding with them for a few days, I had no problems with the cleat twisting and moving from its original position, even after having a losing battle with a pile of boulders on a downhill run.
These shoes are not for racing, although I've outridden many a rider who owns much more expensive shoes and the shoes have performed as well as any other shoes I've tried. Mud clearance is good, but as others have said they're a bit heavy, especially when fully soaked.
These shoes are a hybrid for a racer's OTHER life -- you know, the one where you work, walk down the street, play basketball with buddies, and still ride your bike without having to change shoes. I've done it ALL in these shoes -- in addition to some pretty heavy riding -- and the sole has worn very well. They're stable enough that you can walk without being tip-toed or worry about turning an ankle. It's basically for anyone who loves riding but doesn't want to walk around wearing neon green racing shoes. I give airwalk five melting wax lips for a great shoe!

Porcupine Rim Trail, Moab

6 months

diadora
nike

Submitted by IL a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
durable, keeps dust & stones out

Weaknesses:
heavy, take a while to dry

Bottom Line:
Got these free so can't complain about the price. I own the Sprocket Plus with the zip up front and they've done the job for near enough three years. Heavy and soak up water when its really wet, but that doesn't bother me. They're fine during normal rain. Keep the stones and dust out real well. They are pretty warm but don't keep the cold out in mid-winter (not a New England one anyway). I'd recommend some additional layering then. Have been using them with Look Alium clipless and I haven't detected any signs of damage to the sole. I'm sure there are better shoes out there, but I have been, and still am happy with these. Can't give them less than five hot ones.

2 Years

N/A

Submitted by Paul a weekend warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

To follow up on my previous review. I have a new pair of sprockets and everything is great. No problems with the sole. This is a comfy shoe that is nice and warm for winter use. The caveat is that they get wet easily and take a while to dry out. The best part is that they have a casual look and you can wear them anywhere. I havn't tried clubbing in them, yet!.

Submitted by Paul a weekend warrior from Perth,Australia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had these shoes about 2 months and the sole trashed out on the left foot. I had been using them everyday for
about two weeks when this happened. I almost always click out on the left. It would appear that the midsole
is not really strong enough as it looked like cardboard when the SPD cleat had finished with it. That really
spoilt my impression of what otherwise is a great shoe. You can wear them anywhere and they look cool. A
bit hot to ride in mid summer though. Airwalk replaced them for me so I will see how the new pair hold up

Chain wrapping back around crank sprocket catching on chain stay what to do?

A while back I noticed that my chain would catch on the front sprocket and wrap around on itself rubbing into the chain stay. I had changed out my shifters and hadn't noticed it for a while. I have even more recently got a new BB and crankset maybe have 30 or 40 miles on it and went to clean the cha ... Read More »

42t (or>36t) Cassette sprocket/adaptor for Shimano 10 speed?

Hi all, I was trying to change my current 3 x 10 drive train to a 1 x 10. To get a low enough gear for the hills around my area I figure a 30 x 42 should be enough. I was going to use a Wolf Tooth Cycling 30t which is compatible with the XTR cranks. What I was tring to find was an afterm ... Read More »

Truvativ 4D Cranks with single sprocket and pulleys...are these any good?

Ive got this tank of an old skool Mongoose that someone set up with new components. Among them are these cranks. Ive never seen this pulley system before but I like it! However a google search will not bring up this year of them, (2000-2001?) And so I need some help from the pros, u guys... So are ... Read More »

Raceface Turbine 3x10 speed middle sprocket compatibility

The teeth wore rapidly on mine and the Raceface replacements are expensive. Not wishing to blow money on expensive things that don't last I replaced mine with a Shimano XT M760 (Hollowtech 2), which was about 1/2 the cost. Both the M760 have a bolt circle diameter (BCD) of 104mm, and the Shimano ha ... Read More »

Will receive my new Carve SL 29, can I use a normal rear sprocket?

The bike comes with 32x20, I want to change the rear to 14t since I wont be riding many hills right now. I ride road bikes so I have a couple of rear cassettes sitting around, several with 14, 15, 16 cogs. Can I directly swap the 20t cog that comes stock on the carve sl 29 and one of the 14t cog I ... Read More »