Home | Reviews | Jersey | Zoic

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Zoic Rocket-T jersey

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Lufkin, TX - USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Looks and functions like a wicking T-Shirt rather than a bike jersey.
Good colors - I got one in cobalt blue, one in brick red, and one in mustard. All with black trim around the neck and sleeves.
Wicks perspiration like a champ.
Resists tears and rips.

Weaknesses:    Lint Magnet - picks up every bit of foreign material in the washer (Hang dry the wicking fabrics - DON'T run them through your electric dryer!)
Fabric pills up after the first wearing and the shirt looks ratty after that- you won't impress anyone with your looks.
Sleeves are sort of tight. I have pretty big arms, and conventional bike jerseys are way too tight on my biceps so I usually go sleeveless. This shirt os a bit too tight for my liking, but that's just a personal thing.

Bottom Line:
This is a good workout jersey for an affordable price, IF you don't care what you look like. On my workouts I bike first, then bushwhack for about 5 - 10 miles through the sh*t, and then bike again, then trek again (call this a "BRICK" workout). Anyway, the jersey won't tear on Mesquite or cactus needles, but the fabric pills up after the first wearing and looks nasty. I would never wear this in a race or if I am concerned about looking good, but it's a cheap and good-functioning jersey.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park; C&D loops

Purchased At:   REI - Houston

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi; Sugoi; Nike; REI store brand. I've even worn Maxi UnderArmour for a bike /workout jersey before, and it works fine and wears like iron if you don't mind the spandex feel.

Bike Setup:   Trek hardtail with many tweaks.

Submitted by ilakano a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    It wicks!! and in the East Bay that's really important because if you don't ride when its hot, you never ride out here. Also pretty cool is the usual ZOIC plain colors. I hate Primal jersey's etc. I never want to be mistaken for a roadie logo clod. Its locally made and that's a big deal to me.

Bottom Line:
Like everything else ZOIC makes, this shirt is great. I only wear ZOIC if I can help it. Only when its all in the laundry do I wear anything else to ride and I always regret it. I like to support local companies too.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   Mike & Hanks in Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   Hanes t-shirts

Bike Setup:   Not important.

Submitted by Pup a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    Righteous comfy, wicks like silica gel
looks STAR
no neon geckos or unicorns or crap
no stupid zipper to chafe your chin / neck
totally affordable
impossible to damage in any way.

Weaknesses:    Dumb Zoic keeps tweaking the color sets every year. The black collar year was a bad call, kids.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to previous review of Rocket tee, below:

What are these made of-- steel?

I have two Rockets I swap out, over and over and over again. They must have been washed what, four hundred times??

After TWO SOLID YEARS of wearing nothing else: No evident wear, a little pilling but nothing major.

I crashed myself into the hospital, taking the entire brunt on my helmet and right shoulder point. Total damage to jersey? 1.5mm square "snag" spot, that you really have to look for to find.

Add to that that these buggers actually drape, fit, dont sag like a beer belly or do that stupid sausage casing thing, you cant buy a better jersey tee.

Extra benefit, in the high desert it wicks your sweat so fast you get crusted with salt all over, big white dust clouds of it! but you stay comfy and cool.

Twenty stars.

Favorite Trail:   Ozone / 310

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Basic Descente and etc roadie jerseys

Bike Setup:   Uzzi dream bike of a lifetime

Submitted by Nick Grba a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, Wa

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable
Very Un-jersey-like
Stylish
Excellent wicking properties
Very breathable
Did I mention how confortable it is?

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Once you try one of these excellent T-shirt-like "jerseys", you'll never go back to cotton!
I got 2 of 'em @ rei-outlet.com for $8.50 apiece! I would gladly pay double that.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain (Preston)

Similar Products Used:   Cotton T-shirt
Patagonia Capiline

Bike Setup:   '98 C'dale F2000 custom built.

Submitted by RaverRave a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
Price, feel, colors, functionality, does not look like a cycling shirt, more like a cool t-shirt.

Weaknesses:
Fabric can begin to look a little ratty after many washes (make sure tfollow washing directions to help avoid this problem).

Bottom Line:
This is the cycling shirt to get if you want something to wick sweat, breathe well, and protect a little from the wind, if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, and if you want something that looks more like what you'd wear to a party than on a bike. Very stylish. Zoic even sells a version of this shirt, minus the rear pocket, in various hipster club wear boutiques here in San Francisco.

The streets of San Francisco, baby!

1 Year

Swobo wool jersey, Pearl Izumi, regular cotton shirts.

Airborne Lucky Strike -- sweet!!!

Submitted by Donald Fredrick a Cross-Country Rider from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
Extemely Functional- wickes,drys, and looks normal, very affordable

Bottom Line:
I totaly dig this jersey...I mean t-shirt... I mean jersey. It looks like a t-shirt except for the one pocket in the back and its made from wicking material. I got it way cheaper than my bros get their SUPER jerseys and I ride, feel and look better. From the company that made the Pointed Rayes. Those guys are totaly on it.

Tiger Mountain- Preston Trail

6 months

cotton Ts. Misc. team jerseys

Ritchey p-22

Submitted by Pup a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
SUPER COMFORTABLE CUT!!!
Wicks sweat and rain away
No zipper to pinch your neck

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This jersey is designed by someone who actually knows how to fit clothes! Loose and comfortable across the shoulders and back, without bagging, catching on things, or binding anyplace. Amazing.The fiber really does work better than a cotton t-shirt to keep the sweat off, and dries off from rain and mud pretty quickly too. This jersey rocks. Five flaming chilies

Middle Fork!