Primal Wear Wear Original Jersey

4.69/5 (32 Reviews)

Primal Wear All Models

Submitted by Veda a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Strengths:    Tough fabric and unique graphics

Weaknesses:    Single material used for the entire jersey. No mesh or any advanced technical construction used.

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly XC and these hold up very well against the extreme tropical offroad elements. So despite of people's opinion that Primal is all about style and nothing else, I'd have to say even the top models jerseys from other brands don't fit and hold up as well as these for XC. They are also quite cool even for the black ones. I'd say cooler than meshed jerseys under direct sunlight. They're a bit expensive considering you can get top models from other brands discounted online but in the real world usage, they rank among the top.

Favorite Trail:   Hambalang

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Pearl Izumi, Nalini, Castelli, etc...

Bike Setup:   XC Fullsus

Submitted by racinRoj a Downhiller from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    Nice material, and I like the designs because I can usually see gapers coming from a half mile away with their *#@$ primal wear designs.

Weaknesses:    Appearance, the seam started coming apart right below the zipper.

Bottom Line:
This was given to me as a gift, otherwise I would never own a primal jersey, the fabric is comfortable if you can stand the awful graphics. It is coming apart after only a few rides, but I think this one is probably just defective.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Crest

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Nathan F. a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio TEXAS!

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit, quality, designs, keeps me cool too!

Weaknesses:    None for many years now.

Bottom Line:
I have owned various designs of the Primal Wear jersys for many years now. Still love them. The graphics are great, the fit is spot on, the removal of sweat is great too. Can't wait for next years release of new graphics.

Did I forget to mention they are really tough for the normal XC guy or gal? Well they are!

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere!

Purchased At:   Many different places...

Similar Products Used:   T-shirts, sweats, other brands like Fox & Pearl Izumi...

Bike Setup:   1999 Litespeed Tsali-XT Group,Titec 118 Ti Handlebar,Frogs,Judy SID,KING Ti bottle cage,Salsa Brake Brace&Syncros Ti post. WT approx 23 pounds ;)

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Murfreesboro

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit. I'd almost wear my jerseys as regular clothes. They really wick away the sweat and keep you as cool as possible. That's important down here in Tennessee. And the looks! Man, these jerseys look awesome. Never fails to attract compliments.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, they are expensive.

Bottom Line:
A great jersey. A bit expensive, but I don't regret buying two of them. Try 'em. You'll like 'em. 5 flamin' chihuahuas for the overall, but I gotta give it 4 for value. 80 bucks?

Purchased At:   primal wear's website

Similar Products Used:   Just about all of the competition.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 80 Mostly stock (for the time being)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Primal wear quality, wicks sweat away, good price, only worn it a few dozen times as I have many others to rotate through and I only need a size XL and it still has a little room as I'm 193lbs with a 44" chest.

Weaknesses:    The zipper is a little sticky and the pull tab is small and you really need to pay attention when zipping it up.

Bottom Line:
The graphics are great with a No.13 on the side of a large carnivorous fish similar to that of a coelacanth and a hydration pack tubing with bite valve as a light. It wicks sweat away very well, sizing range is excellent, the price was fair and the colours have not faded. I ordered mine while at a pay phone out-front of Warm Mineral Springs in Florida (2001). I got my order 2-3 days later, a size "L" but it was a little small. So I sent it back and another 2-3 days later I got my size "XL" and I still have room in it as I'm larger now in 2005, hehe. The zipper is a little finiky but, I don't see why this jersey shouldn't last me another 10 years.
Bottom Line: An excellent jersey for fit, graphics, price and durability.

Purchased At:   Price Point (2001)

Similar Products Used:   Please see - Fox Racing/Race Jersey/Short Sleeve - review as I have many listed there.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by B.J. a Weekend Warrior from The Peg

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, wicked designs. Pockets are deep and can hold some weight. Wicks sweat like nobody's bussiness.

Weaknesses:    Zipper gets caught often

Bottom Line:
Get one, there awesome

Favorite Trail:   churchhill drive

Purchased At:   MEC

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from NOTL, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable, keep you cool. And Extremely cool designs. I have Alien Nation and All Quacked Up (look up Primal Wear on the WWW to see them). Adults laugh at them, kids gasp in wonder, and teens mock me.

Weaknesses:    You shouldn't wear some of the wackier designs if you have a thin skin, and hate being mocked by teens.

Bottom Line:
Great products. Go to Primal Wear online, and look at their wares. They bring out new designs every year. Some designs become discontinued too, so if you like one, get it while you can. Lots of new ones available on eBay too, at good discounts.

Favorite Trail:   Trail mix

Purchased At:   MEC, eBay

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Th' Mule a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberts, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    Cool designs that catch other people's eye (then they're less likely to run into you!) Excellent breathability, light weight, hidden zipper, really high pockets so you don't loose crap in a fall, ruggednes... did I mention cool designs...?

Weaknesses:    I don't have enough of them.

Bottom Line:
The jerseys made by Primal are among the better ones I have worn. They come in eye catching designs that sure help you get noticed. They are great for hot days as they are great for wicking away moisture and are cool when you are moving. The deep pockets allow me to carry a few extra things for quick access, like a Cliff bar, money for Ice Cream, ID... and not worry about losing my crap all over the trail when I auger it in. If you want to make a statement at 30km/h (19mph) these things will help you... and maybe Search and Rescue if things go south on ya'.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm falling down.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-Op CYYC

Similar Products Used:   Mec Peloton Jersey, Sugoi, Race Face.

Bike Setup:   Stock '04 Stumpjumper Comp Disc HT.

Submitted by Becka a Weekend Warrior from Greeley CO

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    Beautiful Graphics, built tough, great fit, cleverly hidden near-full zip, matching sport top and shorts

Weaknesses:    None that I could find

Bottom Line:
Not only are they the best fitting and most comfortable jerseys I have ever owned, I never fail to get compliments whenever I'm wearing Primal Wear. That never happens with my other jerseys.

Favorite Trail:   The Crest

Purchased At:   www.primal-sports.com

Similar Products Used:   Pearl, Sugoi, Garneau, Performance

Bike Setup:   Airborne

Submitted by FishMan from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    quality material, solid construction, comfortable, cool designs

Weaknesses:    some of the designs are ugly, probably a matter of opinion more then anything

Bottom Line:
Not just a pretty face, these jerseys are well made. Comfortable fit and moisture control.

I think the looks are a matter of personal taste. Some of them I think are pretty stupid and ugly, but others are cool. I finally took the bait and bought two Primal Wear jerseys when they came out with two fish designs. I was big into fishing for a long time, and still have a lot of interest in aquatic critters. They came out with a jersey "One less car(p)." I hate carp and I hate cars, a perfect jersey for me. Then I saw one "Fast Fish" with some bass all painted up with racing strips. What struck me is that they were smallmouth bass, not the much more common and more popular largemouth bass. Smallmouth are my favorite, so I had to have this jersey too. Someone at Primal Wear is definitely on the same wavelength that I am.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi (Dry Lake Hills)

Similar Products Used:   a bunch of different jerseys

Bike Setup:   does it matter?

Submitted by TheBigC a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    It's like a personal Air Conditioning unit when on the move. Great designs... for the most part. Tough and well built

Weaknesses:    Zipper appears to be flimsy, but have no problems yet.

Bottom Line:
BUY THESE JERSEYS! That's what it comes down to. Even in the heat and humidity of the summer, these jerseys keep you cool. When I'm blazing down the trails, it is like drankng up the a/c in your car, and this is not too much of an exaggeration. Some flabby/modest/wimpy riders might be turned off by the streamlined, tight fit. Just get yourself to the gym. There is no way I will ride in anything but Primal jerseys again. You can pick some up on sale for decent prices, usually ~$40. Might not get the best selection of designs, but the worst primal jersey in terms of design makes up for its self in comfort and toughness.
I've fallen more times than i are to count, and these have held up more than fine. Theyre take what it throw at em, and spit it back at me.

Favorite Trail:   Rollercoaster

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   various coolmax knock offs

Bike Setup:   GT XCR5000, nothing origonal but the frame

Submitted by Jon from Tehachapi, CA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Very unique graphics with well-placed, almost understated Primal logos.

Weaknesses:    You're kidding, right?

Bottom Line:
These are the best jerseys I've ever used! The graphics are brilliant, the designs unique and the fabrics very comfortable. Most of the designs change on a yearly basis and occasionally the company does a very limited run for a special reason. I was fortunate enough to catch one of the Flt 93 Memorial Jerseys that Primal designed and released in early 2002. Needless to say, I only wear that one when I'm at little risk of seriously crashing! How many other jersey designers and manufacturers have taken the time and expense to design a small custom run to commemorate an event in our nation's history? I'll keep supporting this company as long as they stay in business!!!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Garneau, Performance, Azonic, Fox, etc...

Bike Setup:   03 Bullit w/Z1, XT, Avid, Blackspire, WTB, Thomson (ALL the goodies!!!)

Submitted by Anonymous Gerbil a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Cool designs, very durable, wicks away sweat and keeps you dry

Weaknesses:    Designs change from one year to the next, so down the road if you want another copy of one you like, you are out of luck. Not all their designs are available in the full sleeve version. Little expensive - look for deals in the 'Net

Bottom Line:
I had used this jersey for almost a year now, and it has survived numerous crashes, thorns and tree branch scratches, washings, etc., and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

I have the Tattoo version, and liked the design enough to order another before they stop making that design. Another bonus is that compared other major brands, Primal Wear is a bit discreet about advertising their logo, so you don't look like a walking billboard when you wear one of their jerseys. The MSRP is off the charts though! Look around for deals. My LBS gave me a discout when I bought it with a new bike from them, otherwise I would not pay the MSRP plus tax on these, no matter how good the performance and design.

Performance wise, I give them a five, price wise I give a three. I just ordered one of their baggy shorts to go with the new jersey - will post review after some in them.

Submitted by Knowlton a Cross Country Rider from East Dover, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    looks, fabric, sweat wicking, hidden zipper,

Weaknesses:    maybe price, but worth it

Bottom Line:
This is the best jersey on the market today. This keeps you dry, and makes you look like a preditor on the trails. I have FEEDING FRENZY, the shark one. The hidden zipper is great, because there is no stripe down the front of the jersey to take away from the design. it does seem a little weak though. price in stores is through the roof. look online.

Purchased At:   local store