Race Face AQUANOT Jackets

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

RaceFace AQUANOT

Submitted by WonderWeasel a Racer from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    Very waterproof, tough fabric, and incredibly breathable considering the weight of the jacke. It looked snazzier than I deserve

Weaknesses:    Seem sealing tap too stiff? All the water proof laminant tore around the tape rendering it water logged

Bottom Line:
I ride year round in Vancouver so I know rain, too well.

I got in on the first production ('99 - goin way back) run so things might have changed. When it worked it was a cool jacket to own. The nylon shell is tough as nails, it was the most breathable *waterproof* jacket I have owned, and it looked cooler than I deserve. However, once the laminate tore around the seam sealing tape it drove me insane and I warranted its lame ass.

Other people had the same problem with their jackets. Maybe its different now.

Similar Products Used:   A zillion cycling jackets- usually make it a year then die

Bike Setup:   One gear

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Westfield, MA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Strengths:    Very waterproof, very warm, rolls up small, matches my helmet, raceface, dries quickly, cordura elbow panels, durable

Weaknesses:    to short front and back, collar scratches my neck and face, using cinch cord makes the back ride up sometimes

Bottom Line:
You don't want to wear this coat above 40F its to warm, on the other hand i have used it down to -10F with only a long sleeve shirt on underneath and been warm. I fell through some ice while riding up to my neck in water and my upper body stayed completely dry except for around my neck and waist, the coat keeps water out very well. It rolls up to about the size of a long sleeve shirt and can easily fit in a pack.
When riding in the rain even with fenders my butt gets all wet, i wish this coat was about 2-3 inches longer all around, or at least have a flap that could be folded down while riding. The zipper in the front scratches my face if i am not wearing a balaclava. Because the coat only goes about halfway over my butt when i cinch the waist tight then bend over (riding position) it comes up to my waist unless i am wearing a backpack.
I haven't used any other cycling specific coats so i don't have anything to compare this with, but i assume there is one that solves these problems. I can't say that i am not satisfied however because it is very durable. i have worn it every day this winter and it hasn't let me down yet. If you can get this coat for $100 or less then i would recommend it.
The version i am reviewing is the 2000 unlined shell model

Submitted by brian mackenzie a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Strengths:    RaceFace, Warmth, Durability, same colour scheme as my Giro Switchblade

Weaknesses:    One pocket ?!? C'mon, pretty spendy for a simple shell with a rubber name patch. Damn that rubber name patch that made me buy it.

Bottom Line:
This coat is great! I've ridden in the rain, you don't wanna ride with this above 5 degrees celcius, though, but it rolls up nicely and carries well in the elastic cords on the back of a Camelback. Like I said, I've ridden in the rain, down to minus 27 celcius along skidoo trails (A Giro Switchblade really helps keep the warm in), I also use it for snowboarding! It's a very versatile jacket, I like the high-cut front while riding, but you look like a goon wearing it in the mall. But that's ok, I have a RaceFace T-shirt for situations like those.

Favorite Trail:   Any without Horse Sh!t

Purchased At:   Cycle Power Ottawa

Similar Products Used:   various coats

Bike Setup:   FSR

Submitted by smarty a Cross Country Rider from bellingham, wa

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Strengths:    heavy construction, lots of pockets, nice stormflap, pitzips, stylie, waterproof, fleece collar, cinch cord around the waist/butt......nice.

Weaknesses:    maybe a bit TO heavy, doesn't pack down to small for long climbs. All worth it on the downhill though.

Bottom Line:
Like I said, this is the new Aquanot MAX. heavy cordura on the shoulders and sleeves, still waterproof, but I did notice that the recent rain didn't really bead off the coat real well, might retreat it with Nikwax for extra special. You really need to treat any shell gear with a water repellent. Even GORE TEX, the PSI for goretex is rather low and you need to get the water off the jacket or pants, so tumble wash your shells with woolite or downy flakes and treat with nikwax. You'll be good to go. ANyway, this is about the jacket and it rocks. Been using is as just a fall jacket around town, but took it out this weekend for a long ride and it's killer. Can't wait to check it in the torrential rain we have out here.

Favorite Trail:   triple bypass

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi jacket, but nothing like this one....this is the new Aquanot MAX.

Bike Setup:   really doesn't matter, but it's a badass KONA

Submitted by Shane a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    very waterproof, construction, killer looks

Weaknesses:    fit, pockets

Bottom Line:
Great jacket. Haven't got wet in it yet. The construction is great, heavy duty shoulders and tough elbow patches. I like the single handed draw cords at the waist and the rear pocket is large. My only gripes are that it is a little short. The sleeves are perfect but the front is too short. Its cut longer in the rear, but I wish it were the same length all around. I also wish it had a couple of handwarmer pockets in the front. Didn't Race Face think that people might actually wear this jacket off the bike? Oh well the cool rubber logo patches on the chest and neck make up for it.

Similar Products Used:   a whole slew of of jackets, but no cycling specific ones

Bike Setup:   Its a jacket.

Submitted by Johnny Chen a Cross-Country Rider from Bellevue, WA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Strengths:
Great construction, totally STORM-proof, and comfortable.

Weaknesses:
Sparse, not enough pockets/pocket dividers... personal preference though.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rain jacket if you live anyplace like the Pac-NW. I stay dry and I'm having more fun in the mud.The underarm zippers are a God-send... I wish there were more pockets though.

Rusty Truck & Gnarly @ Victor Falls

3 months

Izumi Activent, REI rubber suits...

Fisher Paragon
Klein Mantra Pro

Submitted by Eben a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Strengths:
WATERPROOF! Great looking with construction to match. Very comfortable.
Comparitively cheap.

Weaknesses:
Hard to find. Price went up for 2000

Bottom Line:
I just got this jacket for winter commuting & off roading in the wet Northwest. Last of the '99 models for only $70. First two rides I got this jacket absolutely filthy in pouring rain, fell a couple of times and generally did my worst to it. After spraying it down alongside my bike it looked as good as new (in the '99 gold & forest). Fit is perfect but be sure to order a size or two larger than you usually wear as they run small. The material acts similar to Gore-Tex and remains fairly comfortable even when really sweating. Features are really great and supposed to be even better for 2000. If you can find this jacket buy it on the spot. If you can't, get some one to order it for you!

less than 1 month

Various Gore-tex non cycling jackets, Nike cycling shell.