Pearl Izumi Zephrr 2 Jackets

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Perfect take-a-long piece for running and cycling--this high-visibility, lightweight, stowable shell offers protection from the elements. Soft, supple Zephrr 2(R) delivers water- and wind-resistance while remaining quiet, breathable and comfortable. Lightweight construction is compressible for easy stowing as you heat up. Microfleece collar for comfort and insulation; Lycra(R) spandex binding at waist and cuffs give a contoured fit. Convenient internal credit card pocket. Extended back for better coverage in the riding position; reflective Pearl Izumi logo on back for increased visibility. Greptile(TM) zipper pull provides solid grip in all conditions.

Submitted by jeepon1 a Weekend Warrior from Rockford, Illinois

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    Pearl Izumi Elite Shorts had good padding.

Weaknesses:    Lost all of its spandex. Returned to Pearl for Lifetime Warranty Replacement and Never Recieved a Replacement.

Bottom Line:
Jeremy the Product Warranty Rep said they never recieved it but when i sent another package they tracked it them in 3 days! Figured they Lifetime Warranty was BS! I will never buy another PI product again. Didnt offer to replace them and i think their customer service sucks!

Favorite Trail:   Rock Cut

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Diamnod Back XSL

Submitted by mtb4123 a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Well ventilated, lightweight and well waterproofed and wind proof

Bottom Line:
Great jacket, I have the 2010 model so it is slightly different to the one pictured. Great ventilation, lightweight and protects extremely well from wind and rain and doesnt overheat. Velcro pocket at the back keeps everything dry and stays in! Definately reccomend this!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast/Hilly/Technical

Purchased At:   Bikes Because

Submitted by Stewart a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    I have a model called Pearl Izumi Optik, which looks similar. Very lightweight, but protects from wind without making you hot. Comfortable. Rolls into very small space. Strong fabric. Showerproof.

Weaknesses:    Not waterproof

Bottom Line:
A quality jacket

Purchased At:   Frasers, taren Point

Similar Products Used:   Peloton. Cheap and uncomfortable

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC3

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Bay area, CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    LIght weight, good looking, nice and super light fabric. soft material near collar.

Weaknesses:    No pocket at all! I don't know what they're thinking?

Bottom Line:
Nice jacket for the sale price, very light and easy to store in backpack, water repellant but not water prove. Good for spring and fall riding and I use it for casual waering too because it looks so cool even on the street, too bad it doesn't come with any pocket which drop itself a chili.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   LG, Performance brand

Submitted by John Bucsek a Weekend Warrior from Tigard, OR

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight and comfortable. Good windbreaker. Rolls up into a pocket sized bundle.

Weaknesses:    Not rain resistant (anymore)

Bottom Line:
Not a bad jacket for the price. Bundles up into a pocket sized pouch. It was waterresistant at first, but the first heavy downpour with additional water being splashed up by passing cars ended that for good. Now I just use it for cool weather riding, as it is useless as rain protection in anything heavier than a drizzle. Its easy to pack so it good for those days that start and end on the cool side.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Park in Portland

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Burley Rock Creek Jacket

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Rockhopper. Stock except for Avid mechanical disk brake, Deore disk hub and Mavic 117 disk rim on rear.

Submitted by Merrill a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Strengths:    light, highly visible, wind resistant, breathes, packs small

Weaknesses:    zipper catches very easily on storm flap

Bottom Line:
Bought this for commuting to work, so I'd be seen. Screaming Yellow is very bright. However, one morning, the zipper caught near my neck and wouldn't go down again. I struggled for a long time and could not release it. The fabric is very thin and easily caught in the slider. The fabric jam went all the way over to the other side of the zipper. It was zipped too high to get it over my head and I could not get it unjammed, so I had to rip it off me, breaking the zipper and ruining the jacket. My extreme force didn't even unjam it! I sent it back to LLBean as defective. PI ought to redesign the storm flap. Even though there is a stiffer tape, there is a thin edge of the yellow fabric beyond the tape that is easily caught and its light weight makes it jam up incredibly tight even with normal force. Before you realize it, it's stuck hopelessly. I'll try this jacket one more time because of its good features. Buy it from a dealer that will replace it or refund if it breaks!

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary (Taos)

Purchased At:   LL Bean

Similar Products Used:   Marmot Driclime windshirt

Bike Setup:   2000 Ellsworth Dare w/ XC components, XT discs, Chris King

Submitted by Quill a Weekend Warrior from Cheshire, CT

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Well designed
Packs small - about the size of two fists
Quality construction

Weaknesses:    I can handle the ip logo on the chest and the small "Pearl Izumi" on the collar, but I don't need to draw attention to my large butt with the PEARL IZUMI across the rear in 1+ inch letters (though at least they are tastefully gray, despite being reflective).

Bottom Line:
I haven't owned this jacket long, but as it hasn't been reviewed yet I thought I'd put up my impressions so far.

I ordered from PI's website as I couldn't find my size/color elsewhere, so you might be able to do better than the $59.00 that I paid (shipping UPS ground included). I found the sizing chart on the website to be accurate. The jacket easily fits over a heavy jersey without pulling when you extend your arms. The material is a lightish nylon, not wrinkly, which appears to be the same on both sides, though if I recall correctly it has two layers to help moisture escape. It seems quite breathable, so the absence of pit vents hasn't been a problem (though the one time I wore it in the rain it was cool out, so I probably won't know about this for sure till next summer). Light rain runs right off it. Dunno about heavy rain. The collar is fleece lined and comfortable. The hem and cuffs are finished off with a stretchy material, but not to the point of snugness. The zipper works well, though it is one-way.

Overall a simple but versatile jacket that will stay in my pack unless I'm sure that its gonna be warm and sunny.

Purchased At:   Pearl Izumi's website