Pearl Izumi Kodiak Barrier Jacket Jackets

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Perfect choice for your cold weather activities; this jacket combines heavy-duty insulation with wind-resistant panels to keep you cozy on frosty days. Kodiak Ultrasensor(R) polyester fleece is heavyweight and brushed to provide superior moisture-transfer and incredible warmth. Zephrr 2 fabric enhances wind resistance and water repellency without sacrificing breathability. Full-length zipper for temperature control with draft flap for protection. Contoured construction with elastic hem gives an aerodynamic fit. Zippered front hand pockets and 1 zippered rear pocket keep important items close at hand.

Submitted by Blue Jays a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent visibility from rear, especially if the yellow version is purchased. Four zippered pockets ensure your gear remains safely stowed until needed. The snug fit ensures no flapping or uncomfortable drafts across the body. The windproof panels across the chest do an excellent job.

Weaknesses:    The vented fleece on the rear of the jacket seems like it will catch lots of tire debris getting tossed upwards. Pearl Izumi should consider a five-inch-wide strip down the backbone similar to the windproof material on the front. That would ensure debris from wet tires could be washed from the garment. Bigger zipper pulls are needed on all the zippers so the rider can access food or garments while riding. A smaller telephone-specific pocket along the side would also be handy.

Bottom Line:
The Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket is a top-quality piece of technical kit. This garment isn't used on trails because I'm convinced it will get thoroughly trashed if ridden in dirty conditions with lots of kicked-up debris. I haven't been forced to get stains out of it yet, but I have to think that bright yellow fleece would be a challenge.

Use this jacket on the road and you'll completely love it! I believe it runs true-to-size and I know the factory reconfigured construction mid-year to better accommodate larger American shoulders and arms. You won't believe such a thin garment could be so warm.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood State Park

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi jackets from years ago...

Bike Setup:   Titus MotoLite II and assorted high-end roadbikes

Submitted by Dani from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light yet warm. Extremely breathable. Reflective strips, plenty of pockets.

Weaknesses:    Minor. I cant' open the front zipper pockets with my gloves on. The price you pay for aerodynamics, I guess.

Bottom Line:
I generally leave the house at 3:30am and, depending on the length of the ride, get back by either 5:30am or 9:30am so I needed a jacket that could be ridden through a pretty big temperature variance without freezing me or conversly, cooking me alive. The Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket performs flawlessly. It keeps me remarkably warm in 30-40 degree weather (which is amplified by the fact that I ride along the beach with lots of wind) yet somehow feels like a light windbreaker once the temps get up into the 50's. I believe it's the combination of the air flaps, wicking material and comfortable, aerodynmanic fit. If, on the rare occasion I do start to feel warm, I just open the front zipper a bit and let the air flaps do the work. Magic.This is the first time I've ever ascribed the word "performance" to an article of clothing but in Pearl Izumi's case it's well deserved. Whatever price you pay for this jacket you're getting a good deal.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Softride Qualifier Classic TT, Ultegra/105 groupo,Bontrager Select rims

Submitted by Miha a Weekend Warrior from Slovenia, EU

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great fit, comfortable, long sleeves, snag free, supple fabric (that's a novelty in winter clothing!), cool design. It breathes really well and stops the wind.

Weaknesses:    Not the cheapest on the market. Have to yet check for water prooving.

Bottom Line:
Gave it a good test on a 3h night ride, with temps bellow zero centigrate. Wearing a sweatshirt and jersey, with the PI jacket overall, it felt great- no sweat on the climb, and no chills on the drops. Just what you need with a winter ride.
Very nice product, can be used in numerous weather conditions, and looks smart. I might miss removable sleeves by spring, but who wants a single jacket/vest anyway with so many great products out there :-)

Favorite Trail:   any I can climb up and bomb down

Similar Products Used:   Giordana Windtex jacket, Gore Windstopper.

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 2004, Time Control Z, Maxxis HR 2.35 with Stans kit.
One sweet ride.

Submitted by railtrailbiker a Weekend Warrior from Bergen County, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    Appearance, snug fit, protection from cold & wind, multitude of zip up pockets.

Weaknesses:    Mud stained fabric on back of jacket and stains won't come out.

Bottom Line:
This jacket has a great look and feel to it. I got mine on special at Performance Bike's web site; they reportedly had a batch made special for them that they sold at a discount.

Plently of nylon for wind protection and fabric for warmth.

Favorite Trail:   Old Croton Aqueduct State Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Web Site

Bike Setup:   Two Cannondale M400's. Stock with the exception of Ti-Rail saddles, Sun/Ringle Zero Degree XC rims, and IRC Mythos XC tires on one, Trek Invert 2 on the other.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Ashland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Strengths:    Warm, dries fast, front pockets, snug fit

Weaknesses:    drafty front zipper, tight fit in shoulders and arms, expensive

Bottom Line:
I've used this jacket for about 2 weeks, in temperatures from
30-40 degrees. It's definitely for colder riding, but I've found in long downhills you can feel a cold draft working in the front zipper and in the open panes in the back and under the arms. On the other hand, they do allow it to breathe fairly well. On long steep ascents I got a little sweated up, especially on my upper arms. The jacket does dry out fast, though. I found it works best with some light layering underneath. I like the front pockets--I like to carry things like glove liners, ear bands, etc. The jacket has a nice slim fit, but the arms and shoulders could use a little more room.
I'd like to see velcro sleeve closures and underarm zips.
It's a nice jacket, but $150 seems like a lot for what you get.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports