Gore Bike Wear Cosmo Jackets

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Gore Bike Wear Cosmo Jacket is as technical as it is simple, making it perfect for quick commutes or all-day slogs through miserable weather. The Cosmo's semi-loose fit and pre-shaped elbows provide comfort in the saddle or bellying up to your local pub for post-ride brews. The ergo-shaped high collar provides neck warmth, and the adjustable cuffs fit nicely over gloves during sub-zero winter commutes.

Submitted by HK91 a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Design and craftsmanship

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Windstopper Cosmo is a Great Jacket - I have converted over to all Gore products over the last year after trying the shorts first. The design and craftsmanship they build into their products is hard to beat. You will pay a few extra dollars for these products but you can tell the equipment is designed by bikers for bikers by the features. After reading the only other posting on this product which was back in 1998 I had to post an update - dude eleven years - it is about time to upgrade to eliminate all these problems you had. I would suggest going to GORE-TEX line if you plan on riding in the rain like the last posting otherwise this jacket will keep you dry (been in a light rain) and warm because it cuts out all the wind but still breaths.
Like I mentioned earlier I have the full line of Gore biking products now and have NO complaints except the cost is a little high - but you have to buy the right product for your individual needs.
Like I mentioned earlier I have the full line of products now and have NO complaints - but you have to buy the right product for your indivigual needs.

Purchased At:   Eddy's

Similar Products Used:   Bell wether

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Submitted by Piers Newland a weekend warrior from West Yorkshire England

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is prety much a copy of a letter that I sent to W L Gore about this jacket.
Don't waste your money on it.
I have been a frequent cyclist for 9 years. I ride to and from work every day. I ride off-road 3 or 4 times a
week. I ride throughout the year in all weather conditions and at night.
The jacket was bought for me as a birthday present in November 1996. I have been using it reluctantly ever
since. I admire its striking yellow and black colour scheme and the sizing is quite acceptable. It is also styled
pleasantly for off the bike walks about town.
However, as far as being a functional cycling jacket it fails miserably. If it had not been a present from my wife
it would have ended up in the bin. When she is not looking I use un- proofed pertex garments, including a
home made special, to protect me from the elements. I returned it to the shop where I bought it, they tested it
and pronounced it satisfactory as far as being water proof was concerned.
These are the failings of the jacket.
1. I become uncomfortably moist, or even soaked , when ever I wear it. This is regardless of the severity or
duration of my efforts, precipitation (or the lack of it), the ambient temperature, or ventilation of the jacket. I
wear appropriate base and mid layers that have been designed to work with breathable fabrics. I dress
appropriately for the ambient temperatures. I do not wear back packs which would impair the alleged
breathability of the jacket or interfere with the movement of air within it. In rain, particularly if it is heavy, the
situation becomes worse. This is a threat to my safety in exposed situations where pausing to eat or deal with
mechanical problems leaves me chilled as the moisture within the jacket cools. A better fabric is required.
2. The front zip some times jams with fabric when being undone. This is inconvenient off the bike but a real
annoyance whilst riding. The under arm ventilation zips always jam when being undone whilst riding. I am not
ham fisted , this is a design fault related to the gauge of fabric used around the zips and the zip fastener
selected. A stiffer fabric is needed in this area.
3. The waist draw cord is positioned too high on the torso. This allows cold air easy access to my stomach,
kidneys and lower back. It also works against effective ventilation of the chest area because the enclosed air
space is so limited. If the waist draw cord was 150 to 200 mm lower the situation would be improved and the
jacket would hang more comfortably.
The draw cord grippers are well positioned and well designed
4. Ventilation of the jacket for temperature control is not effective due to the positioning of the side vents on
the underside of the arms rather than along the sides of the torso. The under arm position allows cold air to
cool the blood in the arms, particularly in the brachial artery, and so chill the hands which need to be kept
warm. The positioning of the arms during cycling and walking also restricts the flow of air in to the chest
space. A more effective solution is to cool the torso which is the second main area of heat generation during
cycling. To do other manufacturers run zippered vents down the side of the garment from the arm pit. This
allows cooling air to circulate more effectively and does not cause localised chilling.
5. The front storm flap is difficult to close on the bike and it is also fairly ineffective. This is due to the
misguided use of press studs as fasteners. A continuous strip of Velcro would be much more effective as a
fastening medium and at keeping out draughts and rain. It is a method of closure that I have employed on my
home made special for the past 6 years, I do not even bother with the zip except in gales.
6. The under arm vent storm flaps are so over engineered that the effectiveness of the vents is severely
compromised. One flap over the zip would be sufficient in this relatively protected area.
7. The heavier weight fabric on the arms is a good idea but being black it makes hand signals all but
impossible to see in the dark.
8. The retro-reflective piping on the arms is incorrectly positioned if it is intended to highlight hand signals
either from the front or rear. This is a particularly serious oversight considering the colour of the rear of the
arms.
9. The partial elastication of the wrist cuffs is an ill-conceived feature. A simple Velcro closure is sufficient to
seal the sleeves against adverse weather. The elastic keeps the sleeve closed at all times and so prevents air
from passing up the sleeve and in to the chest space to ventilate the jacket and cool the rider.
10. The tail flap is well designed and the use of press studs in this area is better than Velcro.
11. The rear pockets are also well made although I do not use them.
12. The map pocket is reasonably well executed though the opening is rather too small for easy stowing of
English Ordinance Survey Landranger maps.

Diadora Cosmo Shoe

Thinking it's time to upgrade da shoes, the Cosmo look like it might fit the bill, and any shoe named after a Seinfeld character has got to be good. Can't find a review on the MTB version anywhere. Anybody using them, have any recommendations?Read More »