Core Rat Delux Jacket Jackets

4.88/5 (16 Reviews)

• Abasion Proof , Black 500 Denier Cordura
  • Water resistant ,mesh lined for comfort
  • Fast drying
  • Cool racing stripes down the front in red, green, or yellow, accompanied with a thinner silver stripe
  • Velcro-off long sleeves,for dual purpose
  • BEEFY metal zipper
  • Large rear pockets with flap
  • Sizes available : S - M - L -XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    price, materials, style

Weaknesses:    none, wait she no longer makes stuff and she completely sold out of shorts.

Bottom Line:
    I recently broke my hip and had owned her Battle short that had the padding option so I googled Core Cat and found a post from 2010 stating that they had some stock to sell CHEAP. I emailed and got a quick reply from Angie herself stating she still had some Deluxe Jackets and vest left. I got a medium green and received it quickly COD from Squamish BC. Very happy because there isn't much available like her stuff on today's shelves plus it local(not made in China) and it is super cheap. Wish she still made stuff ,because I'd pay full retail for a pair of her Battle shorts w/ the hip pad. I cannot find anything like her shorts nowadays.GIVE HER AN EMAIL IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A GREAT DEAL ON A JACKET OR VEST! E-Mail Angie: wood_nymph@shaw.ca

Purchased At:   E-Mail Angie: wood_n

Similar Products Used:   Other "disposable" stuff.

Bike Setup:   Basic courier styled mtb. 92 Rocky Team Comp w/ Project 2 and Suntour thumbies on narrow slicks.

Submitted by Mersault a Racer from The City of Lost Angels

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    It's everything I ever wanted in a mobile bomb shelter and more!! Fits perfectly, made to be passed on as an heirloom; it's outlasted every other piece of gear I've ever bought.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't make me invulnerable to rabid soccermoms and excessively hormonal men who are waay overcomensating.

Bottom Line:
    This jacket is the epitome that form DOES follow function!! It's made to withstand the apocalypse, but has style to enough to put everybody else to shame- and then some!!

Favorite Trail:   Where the Streets Have No Name

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   Raced Face Aquano, trashbags?

Bike Setup:   6 years of blood, sweat and tears bolted to a GT hardtail frame. If you're going to ride hard, ride REAL Canadian made!!

Submitted by Caesar GrumpyBear RetroGrouch a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    Large fits over my armour, sleeves are long enough & removeable,perfect body length for a 6' 165lb rider.Feels like a well worn pair of Levis,comfy for all day riding! Surprisingly light.And its retro/classic black!

Weaknesses:    none that I can see

Bottom Line:
    Anyone who is looking for an excellent outer layer that is abrasion resistant, windproof/water repellant and tough enough to withstand all the sharp objects that try to impale ones armour while gliding through the forest.Fit and finish is excellent. Angies'service is exceptional,and it is refreshing to deal with the Boss at a small original company.Go Corerat!

Favorite Trail:   Undisclosed

Purchased At:   Direct from Angie@corerat

Similar Products Used:   Roach cycling jacket

Bike Setup:   05 Bullitt w/original Monsters

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Courtenay, B.C.

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Beefy zipper, like you'd find on a duffle bag. Strong, light material - great for protection from trees and branches and abrasions from falls. Nice big pockets in back end.

Weaknesses:    No front pockets. A small one in the front would be nice.

Bottom Line:
    Not cheap but over-built construction which I like alot. Pay a little more, buy rugged tough gear and have it forever. Saves money in the long run. Very glad I purchased this jacket and the vest.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Bait

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   None - I'll be honest.

Bike Setup:   Heavy Devinci Hardtail. Who cares, I need to lose more weight then my bike does.

Submitted by Andrew M from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    -Tough
    -Huge Zipper
    -Arms come off

Weaknesses:    -None (except I'd like a zippered or velcro pocket for my keys)

Bottom Line:
    I never considered buying a Corerat jacket (as my vest was more then sufficient) until my girlfriend was given an older model one by a friend. It is now probably my favourite piece of Corerat gear (and I own a lot of it). It is warm enough for our mild winter and even on hot days I often strap it to the back of my pack for the way down

I haven't taken a bad spill wearing my jacket yet, but as far as durability I have rubbed it on lots of trees on tight trails and I take the sleaves on/off at least twice on most rides and it is holding up as I'd expect from Angie's gear.

Favorite Trail:   Vic's-Lower Vic's

Similar Products Used:   -None

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Elk River, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Strengths:    Good quailty & price

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    I AM A CLYDESDALE. 6'5 290 LBS SO IF THERE'S ANYONE ELSE MY SIZE, IT'S HARD TO FIND CLOTHES. ONE THING THAT WAS NICE IS THE COMPANY SAID THEY WOULD CUSTOM MAKE A COAT FOR ME FOR $50 MORE BUT THEY SUGGESTED TRYING AN XL SIZE. I HAVE ALMOST HAVE A 7 FOOT ARM SPAN SO SLEEVES NEVER FIT, SO I WAS EXCITED THAT THE SIZES RUN EXACTLY WHAT THEY RUN ON THE WEBSITE. SO I AM TERRIBLY THRILLED THAT THE SLEEVES ARE MORE THAN LONG ENOUGH AND IT'S NICE THAT IT TURNS INTO A SHORT SLEEVE COAT. MY OPINON COMING FROM A BIG GUY IT'S GOING TO FIT GOOD & WEAR WELL. HAPPY RIDING!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Bike Setup:   Anything with 2 wheels

Submitted by trail toad a Cross Country Rider from A2

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Strengths:    made for mountain biking not pretend biking. looks, (don't look like every one else's street clothes). works like bike clothing should. Tough(so far) Carry two dvds in back pocket for those trips to the movie store. fuzzy lined neck. Real zipper.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    I ride, I fall, I laugh. I ride year around, while the temp hasn't dropped yet(below zero F) I've wore it on freezing days. I slid down a hill the bike trailing(icy). I could even get it dirty. If it's like the shorts and pant that I have from angie, it will take a few months of crashing to really break it in. It stops the wind and holds the heat. I even wore it on a 50 degee day and had to take the sleeves off. the camel back fits under nicely. I got a medium for extra room. Go a size bigger if you want to layer up. Mines orange for deer season. Love this jacket I keep finding myself wanting to wear it every where. This is a good buy if you ride mountain bikes, a great buy on sale.

Similar Products Used:   north face, bellwether, nike, None of these were really like this jacket.

Bike Setup:   Mr. Toad, Titus Switch Blade. Talas rear, Minute front. X.O. drive, Race Face Next, bla,bla,bla

Submitted by Mersault a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2004

Strengths:    Hydrogen Bombproof!! I feel supremely confident when I wear it. It's got all the right features done in true quality style. I need never fear this jacket failing on me. If I need ventilation, I can remove the sleeves or just open them up a bit under my arms! The zipper is indeed quite amazing- size DOES matter!!

Weaknesses:    I only found out about Core Rat last year. Which is actually a strength- small businesses are much better to do business with overall.

Bottom Line:
    If you're a serious rider, whether on the trails or attacking the mean streets, warmth and protection go hand in hand- the Delux is a *must* for anyone who prefers warmth and safety over cold and danger. My Aquanot was good, but it was quite flimsy. It kept me relatively warm (most of the time), but the seams wore easily and it died in a very minor crash (sleeve tore out). My mother was a seamstress in Aspen, so I know how to recognize quality workmanship. I could tell immediately that this thing would outlast me by a longshot. The quality, plus the colors in concert with Angie's awesome attention to detail and dedication to customer satisfaction make the perfect jacket. I'm sure this is what the Asgard wear when they ride out from Valhalla! Core Rat is the H-Bomb!! Thanks Angie!

Favorite Trail:   Where the Streets Have No Name

Purchased At:   Core Rat!!

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Aquanot, various REI jackets and parkas

Bike Setup:   Demon Seed- The Rosemary's Baby of hardtails! A horribly mutated monster that was once a GT Aggressor 1.0

Submitted by Kevin Engler a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver,BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    fit,comfort, function, versatility(sleeves come off), style!METAL ZIPPER!!!

Weaknesses:    zero, this product is solid!

Bottom Line:
    This is my second Corerat jacket and number 4 in total of Angie's products. My first jacket was so cool that my non bike riding sister took it and wears it. It's extremely comfortable, stylish and well made. pick the colour well because you will have it for a long time(no worries there is good colour selection). This is not a racing jacket, it is heavy cordura. It is a commuter and/or bush jacket. Use it around the city on urban attacks.

Favorite Trail:   SFU Nicoles

Purchased At:   corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona jacket, Race Face jacket,Roach

Bike Setup:   Specialized enduro comp, Brodie Soveriegn and soon to be Spot single

Submitted by Phil Surkis a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Strengths:    Quality of construction; very attractive design; the three huge pockets in back; the removable sleeves for temperature control; the racing stripes; the cool logo; this jacket seems like it could last for quite some time.

Weaknesses:    This is not a weak product.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is that I've been searching for quite some time for a jacket that would take the bite out of my early morning commute, yet wouldn't look silly when the sun came up. I don't think there's another jacket like this on the market. It doesn't turn into a little pouch, but it keeps the elements at bay in a simple, beautiful way.

Favorite Trail:   I don't know trail names.

Purchased At:   http://www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   GT jacket; assorted windbreakers

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Panther - modified a bit (Nexus 7 speed hub mounted in Rhyno Lites, King headset; this 'n that, etc.

Submitted by Lisa a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver,B.C.

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    Extremely durable!Washes great.The zipper is the beefiest I've ever seen on a jacket.

Bottom Line:
    This jacket rules!I use it for riding,skate skiing and everyday wear too.It has taking a beating and still looks like new.I love the fact that the arms are removeable.When you're waiting in the lineup to get on the gondola at Whistler,all armoured up,you can get pretty hot.I'd recommend this jacket to any other girls who like to get dirty on the trails.Angie makes great stuff!

Purchased At:   Straight from Angie

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky,Cove Stiffy

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    bombproof. The jacket is made of REAl Dupont Cordura, not a poor quality knockoff fabric. #10 ykk zipper will out live you. Arm length and general fit.

Bottom Line:
    A great off road cycling jacket for when the weather cools off. No bells and whistles, just great function.

Purchased At:   core rat

Similar Products Used:   you name it.

Bike Setup:   RM Slayer

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    Looks great - simple yet stylish
    Tough fabric
    Well made

Weaknesses:    Too tight in the shoulders
    Sleeve joint is too stiff

Bottom Line:
    This is a very high quality product from Angie, but it has a couple of design issues. First, the joint on the velcro-off sleeves is placed right at the elbow. The double layer of Cordura is very stiff, limiting flexibility, particulary when wearing pads underneath. Having the sleeves come off at the shoulder would be better, I think. Second, the shoulders are a bit tight for anyone who is a bit more muscular than average, like me. A size medium fits me perfectly everywhere except the shoulders. A size large would be too loose in the waist. Taking the sleeves off helps loosen things up, and I think I'll end up using it that way most of the time.

Can't complain about the deal I got - this jacket sells for $152.00 Cdn. ($102 U.S.). I paid $60.00 Cdn. ($38.00 U.S.). The seller swore me to secrecy. Sorry.

Purchased At:   Not telling

Bike Setup:   Have seven - which one?

Submitted by Manouane Deschenes a Downhiller from Squamish (BC) Canada

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    This jacket is versatile. It is easy to convert from short to long sleeves because of the velcro connection. It has roomy pockets in the back where you can tuck the sleeves if you don't need them. The fabric is super resistant and has withstood numerous crashes without ripping or pulling a thread. The heavy duty zipper is made to last. The style is
    great, nice departure from the regular bland bike jackets.

Weaknesses:    It could use an under arm vent.

Bottom Line:
    A great looking high quality jacket, not afraid of the maniac downhill rider's antics. I would recommend buying this jacket to any serious mountain bike rider (or someone who wants to look like one).

Favorite Trail:   Dope Slope

Purchased At:   Corerat shop

Submitted by Hellboy a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    Heavy Duty - You aint gonna rip this jacket - Great burley Zipper
    Close fit - The jacket is cut for riding. Won't snag bike or tree branches.
    Sleeves Zip off - Great way to regulate temp. Big Velcro straps at the cuffs.
    Keeps you warm.
    Good lookin' jacket.

Weaknesses:    Breathes like a cirus tent. Forget about wearing it when it gets warm.

Material on the inside snags the stubble on my neck when its zipped up, really smarts. I guess the key is to be clean shaven?

Neck's a bit tight - Though I hear the newer jackets are cut a bit more loose so that should no longer be a problem.

Bottom Line:
    Frist of all, I ordered this jacket from Angie herself. She couldn't have been nicer. I got a deal on the jacket because it was last years run.

Other than the tight (stubble snagging neck) I am totally stoked on this jacket!

Favorite Trail:   Brown's Camp

Purchased At:   Core Rat

Similar Products Used:   sweatshirt.

Bike Setup:   S.C Bullit - JR-T, Hayes, Rhyno Lites, RF North Shore Cranks & rings...