Core Rat Bullit Proof Vest Jackets

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

• Abrasion proof, Black 500 Denier Cordura
  • Water resistant, mesh lined for comfort
  • Fast drying
  • Cool racing stripe down front with matching colored liner, available in red, green, yellow
  • BEEFY metal zipper
  • Large rear pocket with flap
  • Sizes available : S - M - L - XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    great fit and clean look, with quality sewing. got matching stripes with my shorts. have used and abused the vest and worn it boarding, biking working on my truck and around town. I got his as a gift a couple of years back (along with the awesome battleshorts) and bought a bunch of gear this summer, and was reminded of how much I appreciate the quality and customer support.

Weaknesses:    none - this is an awesome vest, and one of my favorites

Bottom Line:
    the quality in the sewing work and the materials is still apparent after 2 years of sweaty, grubby use riding, boarding, and working on my truck. I have washed and bleached the thing until it has faded, but the material is still in great shape, and has never torn or worn through. has worn into a soft and comfy friend. the zipper has stood up to all the abuse and also never failed. for the $, hard to see you could get more value.

customer service was great when my girlfriend bought this, and two years later when I bought all my armor, it was still great. I can not say enough about how I appreciate someone who can take your order, deliver it on time, at a great price – no waiting, no bs about why it got lost, no need for excuses.

AWESOME – 5 of 5

Favorite Trail:   something long and technical

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   looked at the roach gear, but was pricier and not as sturdy looking. used a work warehouse special but it could not cut it and torn on a branch

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 1 freeride

Submitted by Andrew M from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    Durability. My vest was either the first or second product I ordered from Angie (my leg armor being the other) and although the colours (black with red stripe) have faded a little the vest itself is like brand new.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, I could go for one zipper/velcro pocket for my keys, but otherwise none.

Bottom Line:
    I've crashed in it lots of times. I've washed it lots of times. Except for some colour fade it looks like new. Provided I don't lose it, it's most likely the last vest I'll ever buy.

Favorite Trail:   Vic's-Lower Vic's

Purchased At:   Direct from Corerat

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2004

Strengths:    Construction is first rate
    Looks stylish
    Sizing is accurate
    Rear pockets w/ storm flap
    Made by a cyclist
    Long "tail" flap
    Customer service

Weaknesses:    No interior or hip pockets
    Rear pockets not closeable
    Zipper on wrong side (left)

Bottom Line:
    I was searching for a tough, heavy duty riding vest and Angie had what I was looking for - price, strength, reliability, and features. I have to say that it wears very well, I can wear just about anything under it and have room, and it's obviously designed by a rider with aggressive riding in mind. I have yet to get it really wet, though the snow rides and pickup hockey games have yet to phase it. Major props for having a nice long tail to keep things covered when on the saddle.

Let me defend the "weaknesses" listed above-
    I would prefer a small pocket either at the hip or inside for a set of keys or wallet, but I fully understand that by placing a set of keys on your hip it could really suck during a crash.
    I would definitely prefer to see some soert of closure on the rear pockets other than just the flap. While I know the flap will keep most things inside, we all know that if there's a way out, things will get out.
    Zipper on wrong side - I'm a guy, and expect to have the zipper on the right side. Absolutely no big deal, just unexpected. On the plus side - the zipper is huge and heavy duty and I cannot imagine breaking it.

FYI - pay attention to the sizing chart on the website. It is very accurate. My large is just perfect for me with a sweatshirt or cycling jacket underneath. Expect them to fit large if you only wear a pice of light clothing underneath.
    Overall I think I will be very happy with this vest. It was everything I expected and Angie was great to deal with on the phone.

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Submitted by mike from ct

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    overall construction, heavy duty zipper, comfy, light but cuts the wind, looks good, customer service

Weaknesses:    zero

Bottom Line:
    awesome product. nice and thin but warm as an extra layer, large back pockets for your stuff. can wear it out and look cool. angie is great to work with, credited me for shipping when it took longer to arrive then paid for and, in the meantime, was helping me track it down and emailing me. thanks. p.s.- recent story about angie on nsmb, pretty cool. p.p.s.- arm pads are nice, too.

Favorite Trail:   westwoods

Purchased At:   angie

Similar Products Used:   other vests

Bike Setup:   irrelevant

Submitted by Mars a Weekend Warrior from Melb, AUST

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    durable, fashionable, purpose built, this baby will last, well priced

Bottom Line:
    Buy this vest! You cannot go wrong, no matter what country or conditions you ride.

Purchased At:   from Angie via phone

Similar Products Used:   polar fleece vests

Bike Setup:   2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ disc

Submitted by Ian Blakeman a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    Bomb proof, I bought this one from Angie at Core Rat when I was a bike courier out in Vancouver and it's been skidded on, spit on, and abused on the North Shore like nothing I've ever seen before and it's still going strong after five+ years.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
    Buy it!!!!

Purchased At:   Bought from Angie

Similar Products Used:   there is nothing similar to these things.

Bike Setup:   TBL Dual slalom frame, mixture of raceface and XTR

Submitted by Kyle Ritchie a Downhiller from squmaish

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    really comfortable, affordable,durable, looks great, not to hot, doesnt rip

Weaknesses:    nothing so far

Bottom Line:
    These clothes are affordable really nice great price and i highly recommed them to all x-treme riders out there.Also good for the casual where.

Favorite Trail:   everytrail

Purchased At:   corerat

Similar Products Used:   no

Bike Setup:   KONA STAB 2002.5

Submitted by Ian a Downhiller from Vancouver,B.C.,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    The corerat vest is very strong and will not fall apart.It is a very comfortable vest as well

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The corerat vest is a very good vest especially for the price. It is very comfortable and is very durable. I have worn mine for about 2 years and I have not experienced any problems with it. I highly reccomend this vest for any hard core riders. Also it does not interfere with your riding unlike some of the bulkier vests, but it also cuts the wind quite well.

Purchased At:   from Angie a corerat

Submitted by Martin Jarvis a Cross Country Rider from Spooner, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent workmanship, tough fabric, good looks, fair price.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The Core Rat "Bullit Proof" vest is low flash and well built. It comes in black with your choice of stripe color. There are three roomy back pockets for food and parts, and it has a beefy metal zipper. The cordura nylon shell is built thick to hold up to falls and branches. If you ride in cold and/or wet and bash yourself around, you should take a hard look at this vest. Customer service is top of the line too. Check it out at www.corerat.com or call 1-888-868-7688.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Canyon

Purchased At:   Core Rat, 1-888-868-7688

Similar Products Used:   Lots of other vests. I wear vests.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar X, stock (more or less)

Submitted by tommycee from vt

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    bomber cordura nylon, super-burly zipper. looks better than any other vest out there.

Weaknesses:    not a one.

Bottom Line:
    great vest, not just for biking. i wear it skiing, and almost every day just knocking around. the three rear pockets mean nothing in my front pockets. any type of rider can make use of this vest, but the hardcare riders will likely be the ones who appreciate the construction and cool looks.

Favorite Trail:   anything that scares me

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   there simply isn't another source for gear of this quality.

Bike Setup:   two of 'em. one ht, one fs.

Submitted by zero a Weekend Warrior from Halifax,NS

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2001

Strengths:    Kool looking, built strong so it doesn't rip or tear when i crash. cheaper than the roach vest. i like the core rat bullit proof alot better than the roach gangstA.
    i've been wearing mine snowboarding more than on my bike.
    crazy fast in getting me the vest, great service!!!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
    the vest rules, i love it. buy it big so you can wear your hoodie under it.

Purchased At:   corerat (awesome)