Home | Reviews | Helmet | Uvex

Uvex XP 100 Helmet

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)

The IAS system is adjustable from 55-60cm. Features a monomatic closure, 16 ventilation openings and Bee Stop mesh in the forward vents.

Uvex XP 100 Helmet Pro Review

The uvex (pronounced ew-vex) xp 100 helmet has been my main noggin protection for three months, and I have found it to be lightweight, comfortable, easily adjustable, with a large brim and excellent rear protection. The German made helmet has a plethora of features, that add not only to its safety, but to the comfort and usability of the wearer, plus I liked the wicked skull graphics. Continue reading →

Submitted by guyute42 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Strengths:    super light, well ventilated, made in Germany, very customizable, stylish

Weaknesses:    the netting they put in the front vents to keep bugs out looks silly

Bottom Line:
This helmet has exceed my exceptions, when I first picked up the box it was in I thought there wasn't anything in there because it is so light. It can fit practically any head size with more customization than any other helmet I've ever used before. The visor is perfectly positioned so that it doesn't block the field of vision. The chin strap has this wonderful soft piece of fabric on it that feels so luxurious against your skin and eliminates any skin irritation that might arise. I've used it in some hot and humid weather and it has helped keep my head cool. The padding does a good job about soaking up the sweat on the forehead so you won't have to worry about getting sweat in your eyes. One of my favorite parts about this helmet is that it is made in Germany, most other helmets are made in China.

Submitted by Noclutch a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable! Bug screened front vents. Easy to adjust fit. Easy to buckle strap.
Doesn't look like a geek roadie helmet.

a little hard to find

Bottom Line:
This helmet fit my noggin perfectly. Just ordered my second one without looking further (one will be my designated lighted headgear)

Submitted by GT_guy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, adjustability, vents, overall construction.
No "duck tail" in back.

Bottom Line:
I haven't bought a new helmet in awhile and once I started shopping I was disappointed by what I was finding from Giro (my past favorite) and Bell (note: they are now both part of the same company, so no surprise I guess...).

I was looking for a little better back coverage without getting a skate helmet.

I read some reviews on the UVEX and so I started looking for them online. The fact that you can get these for under $40 makes them the absolute best helmet deal out there!

The fit is great, it has real pads in it. The adjustment system adjusts in very small steps, so dialing in a fit (no pun intended) should be no problem for anyone. It is incredibly light as others have said.

There are plenty of vents and the front vents have a mesh in them to keep bugs from getting inside the helmet as you ride. This is a great feature and I don't know why (well actually I do - $) more helmets don't have this feature.

Another nice detail/feature is the padded cover on the chinstrap that keeps the excess strap material from flapping around and rubbing on your neck. This is a feature most snow helmets seem to have, and since Uvex has been making snow helmets for years, has brought it over to cycling helmets as well.

The graphics are not flashy, a bit understated perhaps. I got the white/black/silver graphics which would look good with almost any bike color if that matters to you. Personally I just think white helmets are cooler in summer sun.

Overall, a well-fitting, classic looking helmet that is very lightweight and is obviously built with German attention to design and engineering. It certainly stacks up favorably with other $100 helmets, so the fact that these can be had for less than half that means you should definitely give one a try. I'm going to order another as a spare because the price won't stay that low once the word is out.

Purchased At:   www.departmentofgear

Similar Products Used:   Helmets from Giro and Bell

Bike Setup:   GT Peace 9r multi

Submitted by Mtnbkr29r a Cross Country Rider from Greeley, Colorado US

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, awesome fit, feel comfortable on head and plenty of ventilation. Has survived a few small hits without scratch.

Weaknesses:    Chinstrap has a lot going on and can irritate me.

Bottom Line:
I won this helmet from Uvex and I haven't wore my Giro since. It is a great helmet, you wont be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   401

Purchased At:   Won from Uvex/Magura

Similar Products Used:   Giro Zen

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy 29

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    Quality materials, LIGHT! Adjustablility. Price.

Bottom Line:
This helmet is sweet. Made in Germany with excellent materials. Really is light! Just set it and forget it. Did I mention it was light?

This helmet is a great value even if you pay full retail. I liked it so much, I bought a second one.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   ChainLove - I think.

Similar Products Used:   High end Giro, Bell, Specialized helmets

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

Submitted by Mojo Troll a Cross Country Rider from AR

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    well made

Weaknesses:    Visor doesnt adjust.

Bottom Line:
This is a nice helmet. I normally don't buy helmets without test fitting them first. Seen these on Price Point for $40 bucks and couldnt pass it up.

It has many adjustments. The head lock system on the rear is nice. Several vents that breath well. The hornet screen in the front is a nice touch. Light weight. You dont really notice it when your riding. Which is what you want in a helmet.

The only thing that concerns me is that there is alot of air space between the helmet and back of skull. Enough room to slide your fingers between. Guess thats what happens with a one size fits all adjustment system. In the future it would be nice to see Uvex make a S
The quality of this hemlet is excellent. Germany always seems to raise the bar in quality and performance. Very well made.

Seeing how I get a new helmet ever four years or so. This one will more than likely not be made anymore. However, I would recommend it to others if you find it on sale. It's hard to pass up a $100 helmet for 40 bucks. I just wish they made them more size specific to close some of the gap between the helmet and your head in the rear.

Subtracted a flaming turd due to the gap between head and helmet in rear.

Favorite Trail:   one with dirt

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   bell, giro

Bike Setup:   steel 29er HT

Submitted by NuMexJoe a Weekend Warrior from the real east LA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Price, design, construction quality

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed.

Bottom Line:
I'm not one to blow $150 on a helmet, when the same level of protection and comfort can be had for a lower price point, so I can't compare the Uvex to the latest from Fox, Bell, etc. But I will say that I've been pleased in every way with this one. Fits great on my size 7.5 head, the ratchet mech. is foolproof and easy to use, and it's remarkable light for the amount of coverage it affords. Liked it so much that I bought a second the next time they started showing up on Chainlove, as well as a matte white one for my wife (who also was quite pleased with it). Might only give it 3 or 4 chiles for value if I had to pay full price, but on closeout, it's a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   tonight's

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Any number of inexpensive helmets.

Bike Setup:   Heavy!

Submitted by clouder a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    put it on and totally forget about it until its time to take it off. it's that good!!

Bottom Line:
although advertised to suit 55-60cm heads, my size is 61cm and it fits very comfortably. from the maximum slack, i dialed in about 7-8 clicks for the helmet to fit snug.

In the hot and humid Malaysian weather (31'C right now with sun blazing at 10am), sweat like crazy but never had any of them running down my forehead into my eyes.

it vents really well and very light in weight. the straps are easily adjustable (one time thingy before riding)and did not interfere with my glasses at all during the whole ride.

got this great deal from jensonUSA and i do highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Submitted by silentG a Weekend Warrior from Prescott AZ

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    A bit hard to find

Bottom Line:
I wanted something lighter and cooler (temp wise) than my Bell Faction helmet this spring.

I did quite a bit of research and something about this helmet really clicked with me.

The initial setup/adjustment for this helmet in terms of fit was really easy. I have to say that I really don't notice that I'm wearing this helmet when I'm riding which is a good thing.

This helmet has been very durable and I would say that at this point I wouldn't consider using another helmet.

Magura USA is the distributor for Uvex in the US and you can contact them for replacement parts like the visor, etc.

The bottom line for me is that this is a no-BS helmet from a no-BS company.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   bikesomewhere.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell Faction

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg

Submitted by Treechunk a Cross Country Rider from Chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    REALLY LIGHT, great fit, very comfortable, adjustable buckle, pretty much everything is awesome.

Weaknesses:    not much.

Bottom Line:
I got this because the rep was in the shop talkin' it up, and the deal was good. I'm replacing it because the foam has hardened as all helmets do. I ordered a Fox to replace it, and it just plain doesn't measure up. I will be ordering a fresh XP100 today.

Favorite Trail:   SawWeeKee

Purchased At:   Uvex Representative

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Bell, pro-tec, etc.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LTC

Submitted by Hans Fetish a Cross Country Rider from Detroit, Mi

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    light, good fit, easily adjusts-real easy(big plus)

Bottom Line:
I been riding for long time so, i have gone through alot of helmets. I'm tired of the designs bell and giro puts out there....what same company. Although i had a few that i would characterize as diamonds in the rough..

I read about this German made lid that uses some non-standard materials...i had to try it. Have not been disappointed: light, one size fits all and easily adjusts for good fit. certified.

a few last points:uvex all about safety and innovation; one size fits all...really; oh the bug net...appreciated here in mi; ok can't adjust visor...that thing never made it to the first ride...got the shades.

Favorite Trail:   Highland

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   lots giro's, bell's. most disappointing. a Garneau...directionally correct.

Bike Setup:   Xc-trail rider; catch me if you can

Submitted by 2wheelpashin a Weekend Warrior from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Very lightweight, cool all-mountain style, rear coverage, custom fitting, PRICE

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet at a great price. Uvex is relatively under the radar at the moment, but don't be deterred by the over popular hyped-up over-marketed competitors, this is a quality product and Uvex will undoubtedly become a popular mtb helmet manufacturer in the near future. Comparing this helmet to the very similar Giro Xen one will definitely notice the attention to detail put into the XP 100. The best part is I now have a great helmet and I don't look like a riding bike mag ad!

Favorite Trail:   tahoe