Troy Lee Designs Lee Designs Vapor Helmet

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Troy Lee Designs Vapor

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    Firm, stable fit and good head coverage. Excellent graphics. Well proportioned visor.

Weaknesses:    Chin clip can be tricky, but is secure. Does not fit all heads well (like any brand does).

Bottom Line:
This is a very good helmet, if it fits you well, and looks very custom with excellent graphics. As of January 2001, there are a few left out there, being blown-out at clearance prices. If you're in the market for a $60 helmet, you can get one of these at that price and be far ahead of the the newer offerings.

Purchased At:   defunct bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Shoei Troy Lee, Bell pump, Giro Avalanche

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Jon Lofthouse a Downhiller from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
2 years ago i wrote a review praising this helmet. Well 2 years on, i'm a little wiser, changed my riding style, and i STILL love this helmet, and still use it for hot days. When a full face is too much to consider. I've snapped off one of the pegs that retain the visor but it still stays on fine, i don't really notice it rattling around. The fit is great, and the sweat band whcih directs the sweat away from your eyes is still working great (2 years without a wash..gross..). I don't knwo why they stopped making these, mind you only 5000 were produced. i feel special. 5 hot ones for this great helmet with great graphics and protection.

Favorite Trail:   Wu Kau Tang

Similar Products Used:   Giro Switchblade

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ames, IA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, Jack the Gripper System

Bottom Line:
This is a awesome helmet. Looks are good detatchable/movable visor. Never had trouble with it. Doesn't jiggle. It doesn't feel cheap or look like a Mushroom on your head. Can't go wrng with a Troy Lee....it will get you looks if nothing else.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Express

Submitted by mac daddy a Cross-Country Rider from nc

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1999

Strengths:
looks cool
fits well
protects well

Weaknesses:
hot
visor moves

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet. It fits well and I have taken several hard falls without it cracking. It is however hot as hell and the visor tends to not stay in place, sometimes making it hard to see. Also if you pay over $70 dollars you are getting ripped off because their are plenty of places which sell it for less than that.

1 Year

specialized banshee

Submitted by David Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Laingsburg, MI

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
After a year of owning the TLD Vapor, I still think it's a great helmet. I have not had to re-adjust the retention system, as it stays in place. I have also had a good experience with the buckle-it seems quality made. One interesting point though, others have posted that they have found the visor to come off too easily-not mine. In fact, I had a nasty head first crash and buried my visor into the ground. The damn thing didn't come off and probably should have. Luckily, I didn't break my neck-but I did crack some teeth. It was a bad crash. I think the helmet saved my life-so I'm not complaining (after a year I still have a stiff neck though....). Since I'm still alive after having been catapulted into the ground I give the Vapor 5 chili's. Although, I did remove the visor-the stupid thing was attached to the helmet with plastic inserts (if your's is attached with something other than velcro do yourself a favor and cut the plastic tabs.
Note: It doesn't look like this helmet is available any longer on the TLD web site.

1 Year

Submitted by Joey a cross-country rider from Pensacola, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought this helmet over a year ago and I think it is great. There are two drawbacks to it though. First, the visor will never stay in place. Mine actually moved from a gust of wind once. Second, the helmet has cracked on a tree branch. It was a minor crack at the front, so I cut the crack out and put a sticker over the hole. The best thing about this helmet though is its mad style. The helmet hangs low and does not sit up like a shroom on your head. People always stop me and comment on the paint job too. $110 for a helmet with almost custom Troy Lee graphics is a great deal.

Submitted by Tom Matty a cross-country rider from Thailand

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought this helmet because it just happened to be perfect for my head. Most comfortable fitting helmet I have ever had. But the clasp sucks big time. First one broke within 6 months. I had to pay $50 to send it back to Troy Lee to get it replaced. The second clasp busted within 4 months. Now I just tie the ends together and feel a lot safer. A good helmet but I would replace the clasp first thing. And don't expect much for customer service from these guys. After all, as one guy said to me there, They are Troy Lee. Over priced, underserviced, and a blatantly unsafe clasp. But very comfortable. I give this

Submitted by DAVE MCNAUGHT a racer from ONT. CANADA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Lets face it this helmet dosen't have the looks of a GIRO actualy it looks like shit and it cracks to easy. I was goingup a hill and i fliped backwards down 70 feet of steep rockey stuff but that tree at the bottome broke my fall and my fall wasn't the only thing that broke
GET A GIRO HAMMERHEAD IT HAULS ASS

Submitted by Speed a cross-country rider from Washington State

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was looking at some of the posts regarding this helmet, and thought I'd jump in with an FYI.....according to the Troy Lee website the helmet lists for $90.00 (which you can purchase on line) Also, I just saw in a Mtn. Bike mag, where Wheel World is clearing out the vapor in all three designs for $59.00....cheap enough to buy all three! I might....

Submitted by maTT a racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet fits awesome and stays put on your head. It's a bit hefty and hot though, and the visor retintion system stinks. The visor won't stay put and tree branches will push it down into your face.

Submitted by Jon a cross-country rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

After owning a bell which made my head look like a mushroom, i wanted a better helmet, and it was either the Bell Evo2 or this one, the vapor. I bought the one shown in the picture...all i can say is that this thing is the absolute best... for a start the graphics are great, then the fit.. it will not budge off your head (like everyone else has said) keeps your head cool, etc etc etc. It even comes with a bag to carry the helmet. Now thats value. I chose it over the Bell because i think it looks better, but that depends on you. The bell is also good, even though i've never had one. blah blah blah.. damn i am bored. adios....

Submitted by Tom a downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet is one of the best looking lids around with a fantastic retention system that beats any Giro Supermoto crap into the dust, the price ain't bad but for the money there is nothing that can touch it, only downside is the venting system that doesn't work that great at slow speed but hey you just gotta go fast, as for the graphics what can you say.........Kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by David Johnson a weekend warrior from Laingsburg, MI

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

After having crashed my mt bike and being hospitalized for a concussion, I went on a fairly detailed search for a better bike helmet. The TLD Vapor is the helmet I finally choose. The graphics are flashy and jump the price of the helmet up quite a bit, but the helmet design itself is outstanding.The helmet is quality made, with excellent gripper system and great strap retention system. You don't have to constantly adjust the straps like you do on other helmet brands. Basically, you set the retention system how you want it, and then don't ever worry about it again. This helmet will not move on your head. Once it's properly fit, you can't even move it yourself (by hand) unless you re-adjust the gripper and straps. Even with this, the helmet is very comfortable and as well ventilated as most others.The coverage area seeems just a little bit larger than my previous helmet w/o looking bulky. Here's a sizing tip, if you like how a Bell Image Pro Medium fits, then a TLD M/L should fit you well.Five Chili's for a great product!David

Submitted by James Boguslawski a racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet is great. The looks are the first thing everyone will notice. But the straps hold the helmet onto your head so tightly that the helmet WILL NOT budge at all. It is extremely light and breathes very easily. A must for any cross country rider, but due to it's design this is not for downhillers. I have had this helmet since it came out and only replaced it once due to my head growing.

Submitted by Skunkboy from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Gotta love this helmet! Attention grabbing color schemes. My yellow soul looks hand
painted. Guarentee that you won't be shot by a deer hunter. Super cool with 21 vents.
Sweat grabber thingie in the front does an excellent job of keeping the sweat out of your
eyes. Jack the gripper retention system is like being in a sleeper hold. No jiggling
helmet here. Superb buy for any rider looking for a new head protector.