T.H.E. F14 Helmet

• Rear Retention System
  • Lock On Visor With Keyhole Mounts

Submitted by h_daddy a Weekend Warrior from St George, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Cranial coverage, unique styling

Weaknesses:    ventilation, fit takes some getting used to

Bottom Line:
This helmet looks like the helmet a "Trail" Rider would use instead of looking like something that crossed over from road biking, your little brothers skate helmet, or an overkill full-faced number.
It could use more ventilation. That is why it falls short of 5 chillis. At high speed I notice that the vents aren't capable of keeping up with the blow-by air. However, even in the southern Utah heat it has always been bearable.
You can't just throw this helmet on- you have to "apply" it to your head. It only takes a second and then it feels great. No knobs or switches to tighten but it's still perfectly snug.
I haven't tried the full coverage lids from Giro or Fox, but I know they cost at least twice as much as the F14 and they just look bulky.
I've thought about buying a second one just to have around when this one wears out.

Favorite Trail:   Green Valley Race Course

Purchased At:   eCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Switchblade, Bell Image

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi Pro- stock except for Sinz Platform\SPD Pedals and Kenda Small BLock 8's.

Submitted by one incredible donkey a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Looks
Security
Comfort
Ventilation

Weaknesses:    I haven't fallen so I can't say.

Bottom Line:
It's a great helmet that won't leave you looking like a dork. I like the backside protection in particular. I've had this helmet for about two years and it's held up under regular riding and I expect it will go strong for a long time to come.

Favorite Trail:   Burning Crotch

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Does not matter

Submitted by Cro-Mag a Weekend Warrior from H.B. Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Design, function, comfort. Big enough for XXL dome.

Weaknesses:    None so far!!! Well maybe the graphics.

Bottom Line:
Great lid even if you have to pay retail. Shop around you can come up on closeouts for cheap. It is rare to find a lid for big heads! This lid does accomodate craniums 7 3/4. To 8 if you remove some padding and it is still comfortable. My chromies at "4130 Subway Series Ride" inquire what it is and give positive feedback. So far no issues. When I need to I'm going back for another THE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Baaaa... Sheep Hills

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Thor, Bell motocross. Only lids that fit.

Bike Setup:   Volume full issue of Demoliton candy.

Submitted by Commencalrider a Weekend Warrior from CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
This thing is sick! I put it on when it arrived from ups and i could literally feel the air circulate over my dome, while just walking around my house. Gone are the days of the stuffy and poorly ventilated gyro semi.

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Purchased At:   bikebling.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Semi(hunk of crap)

Submitted by Undescended a Downhiller from Exeter, NH

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Fit, very adjustable and very secure. Gives the back coverage I liked in sk8 helmets without making me look like a 12 year old hitting plastic tabletops in the driveway! Also much cooler than a trad sk8 lid and probably less stench factor. I'll assume it will protect well but fortunately I have yet to kiss any wood since owning it.

Weaknesses:    Some people might not like the color choices (I don't really care)

Bottom Line:
I don't like xc helmets because I mostly freeride and downhill and prefer more protection in the back. This offers similar coverage with better ventilation and for us veteran class aged guys doesn't make us look ridiculous!

Favorite Trail:   Barely Legal Trail (BLT)

Purchased At:   online closeout

Similar Products Used:   661 mullet, other sk8 helmets, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Dare that does not impact my helmet

Submitted by siloping a Cross Country Rider from Issaquah, WA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely light for the coverage offered
This review is for the F-14 IZYK
Fits well on my head
Light for the style of helmet
Well vented so it feels like a cross country helmet more than a skate/moto style lid
Awesome coverage (back of the head)
visor can be removed if you're a purist
Has a simple rear retention system
Affordable and won't break the bank!

Weaknesses:    I got the black one and wished it had a Matte finish instead of glossy......in the grand scheme of things, only an aesthetic thing which is pretty much of an opinion rather than an actual weakness.

Bottom Line:
Putting on this helmet was an awesome surprise!

This lid is by far the best Lid I have worn in a long time.
I have worn many helmets over the years from Skate lids to Full faced to hybrid skate/mtn lids, and helmets have always been "just some form of protection to cover your head" I have never been overly stoked on a helmet in the past and I have never found a lid with all the features that I wanted in a helmet until now!

The F-14 helmet SHOULD not be compared to any skate lid at all as it is truly in it's own class.

THE has this helmet really well thought out for the trail rider that wants the best out of a skate style helmet, (offer more protection on the back end of your melon) but made it light weight and well vented so it feels like an XC lid while riding. The rear retention grabber is just enough to keep the lid in place that keeps the helmet from back end wiggles when blasting down a technical trail (which is more than other skate lid offerings that are much heavier and have a tendency to move around while riding after you start sweating)

In addition - the F14 has it's own identity as far as design goes and does not have that "Borrowed from Skate or BMX look" so you don't feel like you're supposed to be in a sk8 park or a halfpipe.

Finally in summary: here is the last of my bottom line:

Keeps your head well protected
Light
well vented - if compared to your skate stype helmet
Good fit - has extra pads - but this was the first helmet that fit me well out of the box
you can afford it
I true All mountain helmet - Not Biased to any particular "Stereotype" in style of helmet: XC, FR, DJ, AM, Urban, Park, Pipe - you can put it on and really feel like you have the right helmet on no matter where you ride
your stoke factor will go up
Yes - I am stoked with my purchase!

Favorite Trail:   Tiger, Exit 34

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Pro-tec SXP (nice lid - poor fitment)
661 Mullet & Dirt Lid (okay - you get what you pay for - did not fit me well)

Bike Setup:   1. Versus Blitz II - fully dialed to ride everywhere: intense skinz, Marz 55 fork, DHX rear, Hayes stoppers, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, Easton flatties

2. Soul cycles Matador: RS Pike up front, Avid stoppers, Earl wheelset, Marz Rocco Air rear, Geax Skins, FSA Grav cranks, Gusset Slim Jim flatties, and my fave : Dark cycles blackmetal stem!

Submitted by Joel Yang a Weekend Warrior from Issaquah, WA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely light for the coverage offered
This review is for the F-14 IZYK
Fits well on my head
Light for the style of helmet
Awesome coverage (back of the head)
visor can be removed if you're a purist
Has a simple rear retention system
Affordable and won't break the bank!

Bottom Line:
Putting on this helmet was an awesome surprise!

This lid is by far the best Lid I have worn in a long time.

Finally in summary: here is the last of my bottom line:

Keeps your head well protected
Light
well vented - if compared to your skate stype helmet
you can afford it
your stoke factor will go up
Yes - I am stoked with my purchase!

Favorite Trail:   Tiger, Exit 34

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Pro-tec SXP (nice lid - poor fitment)
661 Mullet & Dirt Lid (okay - you get what you pay for - did not fit me well)

Submitted by Redstone a Weekend Warrior from Luxembourg

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    Good fit due to different pads. Better head and occiput (back of the head) protection than a normal XC helmet more like a dirt-helmet. Adequately vented.

Weaknesses:    none at the moment

Bottom Line:
Good helmet for the money, gives me more confidence than normal XC-helmets, due to the superior protection of the back of your head.
Use it for all kinds of riding and I'm really happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   @ home