Specialized Tactic Helmet

All-Mountain riding demands a helmet that's light, cool, and inspires confidence. The Tactic II delivers with large, optimized vents, extended rear coverage, and in-molded construction that maximizes strength and keeps weight to a minimum.

Submitted by bikebum a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    Fit, airflow, weight, styling, color, price.

Weaknesses:    I must have long dumbo earlobes or something, but since the ear straps are not adjustable, my apparently overly long earlobes are in constant contact with the bottom of the strap. In addition, my cheap sony earbuds constantly fall out due to rubbing on the ear strap. I do not recall this happening before. I have tried multiple angles and they always fall out.

Bottom Line:
Was wearing the helmet yesterday when I learned a very valuable lesson. Do not DJ in high gusty winds. Was riding the DJ in very gusty winds at the bike park, tried to clear the second table, and was pushed sideways enough to land crooked. Went down hard on my head, and cracked the helmet (along with the entire left side of my body).

Did not have any serious wrecks with this helmet on the mtn bike, but use it very regularly for this purpose. I did not try to attach a night light to this helmet either.

Favorite Trail:   Don't Centennial Cone Apex

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Old Bell, 661

Bike Setup:   sb-95 with 50mm stem and 140mm fork. 2.4 Ardent tires.

Submitted by Lisa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight; good looks; great fit for smaller head; secure feel; moderate price.

Weaknesses:    The adjustable cage that keeps the helmet secure looks a little flimsy, even though it works well.

Bottom Line:
I've been trying on helmets for a year looking for a replacement for my 6-year-old Giro Hex, but couldn't find one as light or comfortable until the Tactic. At first, I found the whale shark look a little off-putting, but it's great to have that air flow under the visor and my friends tell me it looks cool. Despite the flimsy feel of the adjustable plastic head cage, this helmet is super-easy to custom-fit and can be tightened or loosened on the fly with one hand. The visor actually shades my eyes, and I can wear this helmet all day without feeling the need to take it off. The Tactic seems narrower that other helmets, including my old Giro, so it fits my small head extremely well, and I haven't found that I've needed to add any of the additional interior padding that comes in the box. For $70 retail, I think it's a great value.

Favorite Trail:   The last one I rode: currently, Stinky Spring Loop at Phil's World, Cortez, CO

Similar Products Used:   Giro Hex

Bike Setup:   2012 Ibis Mojo SL, total bling job.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Very lightweight, GREAT airflow. Protects the back of the head better than most.

Weaknesses:    Lack of color choices if you consider that a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Just had a nasty spill yesterday (broken collar bone, dislocated ankle, misc. cuts/scrapes/bruises. During all this the left side of my head hit the side of a rock at about 10mph. Tore up the helmet pretty good, but it wasn't until I had looked over the rest of my injuries that I even noticed. This helmet will get hung on the wall, and I will be ordering another shortly

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Similar Products Used:   None, I've never been much into helmets, but my grandmother insisted I ware one

Bike Setup:   12' Scott Aspect Trail 29er. XTR Group

Submitted by xDirtbagx a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight. Plenty of airflow. Double clutch fit system is pretty nifty

Weaknesses:    Re-adjusting fit when putting helmet back on can get annoying.

Bottom Line:
Lightweight. offers a bit more rear protection than many other helmets. The "Double clutch" system makes re-adjusting your fit a breeze. (you'll get practice.) The helmet does tend to auto loosen itself from time to time. It's just a minor inconvenience though because it takes less than half a second to readjust it.
It is a very comfortable helmet. Going all day without feeling the need to take it off is a great thing. You just kind of forget you're wearing it.
Overall it's a great helmet at a great price!

Purchased At:   Marty's Cycles

Submitted by roadracerX a Weekend Warrior from Clemson, SC

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Good coverage and ventilation.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
For the price I am happy with it. Slightly less comfortable than my old Align but the added protection is worth the trade off. I can still wear this thing all day with no problems. I don't sweat a great deal but so far the forehead padding is stopping everything that I can feel running down towards my eyes.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Align

Bike Setup:   Jamis

Submitted by pcbconstruction a Weekend Warrior from Alabama

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Fits great, good ventilation, never loosens up no matter how long the ride, easy to adjust, and fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Soft felt lining seems to be coming off a little, but nothing superglue won't fix.

Bottom Line:
Good looking helmet that works and won't break the bank.

Favorite Trail:   Rucker

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Diamondback Response.

Submitted by PVR a Cross Country Rider from Vernon, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    Good ventilation, good protection for the back of the head, nice retention system, fairly light.

Weaknesses:    pricy (but not as much as Fox or Giro)

Bottom Line:
A good helmet for trail riding. Substantial but not bulky and with good protection for the back of the head. Very good ventilation system.

Similar Products Used:   various Louis Garneau, Trek

Bike Setup:   Spec Stumpy Comp

Submitted by XLNC a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of Ventilation. Lots of fitting adjustments/Good snug fit. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Strange yet limited colour combos (I got the "matte silver" colour), Sorta pricey - but I'm cheap.

Bottom Line:
I shivered when I read the price but read above in the "weaknesses". Forgot all about the price when the salesman adjusted the helmet for me and it so gently caressed my gourd. O.K. layman's terms - It's grips your head quite snug, but you hardly even know it's on your head (I'll be honest, after I had it for a day I spazzed around like I had a seizure and the helmet barely moved a millimeter!). And when I finally got around to putting my bike in the wind, the many vents provided A TON of air flow. Very happy with it so far, but then again it's not humid hot summer yet either.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I get to use my bike.