Specialized 04 S1 Helmet Helmet

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The S1 takes helmet technology to a new level. Thanks to our work with pro level road riders in events such as the Tour de France and our world class mountain bike team, the S-1 is lighter, sleeker and better ventilated than any helmet we''ve ever made!

Submitted by Tyler a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome airflow, excellent fit, great looks, nice fit.

Bottom Line:
A great helmet with great airflow and breathing. Specialized's self-fitting technology, Brain trust 2, does a great job of fitting the helmet. Also, the styling on this helmet sets it apart from the rest, making it look, somewhow...specialized. (crickets churping and no laughs)

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Airwave

Bike Setup:   Who cares?

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Capitola, Ca.

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, ventilation, fit, appearance.

Weaknesses:    Padding could be a little more plush.

Bottom Line:
Very nice helmet. The air scoop at the forehead that pulls the draft in works great. The air flow is fantastic and really exhausts the heat.The pads seem a bit thin. They throw in a few extra pads which are basically useless for tweaking the fit. What would have been nice would have been some pads of varying densities/thickness.The visor attachment works well as does the rear skull adjustment. All in all, a very good product for the dollars spent.
I rate this 5 chilis for value but it loses 1 chili in the overall division due to the pad situation. I will end up at the LBS to pick some decent ones up.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder

Purchased At:   Specialized On-Line

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Bike Setup:   Yep

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, design, very cool, fit (at least on my head)

Weaknesses:    stickers were placed very careless and not fully attached to the helmet, but I don't care for stuff like that

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light weight helmet for the summer that really fits my head. The Giro E2 was my first choice but I couldn't make it fit right and ended up returning it.
When I received the S1 and put it on my head it was a perfect fit right out of the box. I know that this is a very personal thing, but it is the most comfortable helmet I ever put on my bald head. The BrainVert2 secures the helmet very good on your head without being uncomfortable.
I seems that Specialized improved the padding in the front of the helmet too. The one that I saw at the LBS had a two part front padding that left an inch or so open in the middle of your forehead. The new padding covers the whole front of the helmet, which I believe does a much better job of keeping sweat out of your eyes.

Bottom line: perfect helmet for me.

Purchased At:   Specialized On-line Store