Specialized 04 M1 Helmet Helmet

The M1 features much of our top-of-the-line S-1''s next generation technology to be one of the most advanced, best ventilated, best fitting performance helmets on the market at a more affordable price.

Submitted by P Barrow from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    excellent ventilation, very open and airy but still protects the noggin very well. I like the easy adjust knob because when I ride in the winter with head gear on I can adjust it very quickly to fit.

Weaknesses:    Visor is kinda silly. Not much use for it.

Bottom Line:
very good product with little drawbacks. I love this helmet, expecially in the summer time. The air flow over my head keep it really cool, especially during those zippy down hill adventures!

Favorite Trail:   alot of favorites

Purchased At:   EBAY

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic comp disk

Submitted by pat a Cross Country Rider from sac, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    weight ventilation looks everything...

Weaknesses:    only problem is that the front pad wont stick to the velcro and it is annoying 4 me, maybe someday ill use my sense of common sense and glue it in but i dont know it might actually work or something so...

Bottom Line:
greatest helmet ever(besides the S1) i highly storngly very entusiastically urgingly absolutely positively superbly suggest you buy this helmet it is the very 2nd to the top of the line (hint: get the S1, although i still havent figured out the difference between my m1 and my brothers s1)

Purchased At:   bobs

Similar Products Used:   cheapo bell

Bike Setup:   warp ds1

Submitted by William (aka) Ol'DirtDawg a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Design, fit, function or air flow, very light, good color combination, looks sharp, fits very well, varied range of adjustability.

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
This is my first true mountain bike helmet, after trying other makes and brands for fit, I finally selected the Specialized M-1, mainly for the product strengths listed above. The design probably impresses me the most with its aerodynamic porting, and the way it pulls heat from one's head. I ride about 35 to 45 miles per week, and again I must say it is a very cool, (temperature wise), very light weight, and a very sharp looking helmet. It also has all the features of a Specialized S-1 helmet without the higher price.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek, Bartlett, TN

Purchased At:   BikeWorld, Collierville, TN

Similar Products Used:   Giro, Bell

Bike Setup:   04' Specialized RockHopper Comp,

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Kalamazoo, Mi

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2004

Strengths:    Weight is evenly distributed, fair looking, easy to adjust and fit to your head.

Weaknesses:    Some of the shell isn't very well attached in places. I noticed this almost right away when I got it. The visor is pretty useless and I have yet to use it for a ride.

Bottom Line:
After being a pretty divoted Giro E2 fan for the past few years, this was a nice change. Given, the adjustability isn't quite what you get with a Giro, I found the weight distribution to be a lot better with this helmet. To me, it always felt like I was wearing a helmet when I used the E2, however, that doesn't seem to be the case with this. The weight is well distributed over the entire helmet, and doesn't feel heavy in the rear as my E2 did at times.

Though Specialized hasn't published a weight for this helmet, and a weight has not yet to appear on weight weenies, it feels somewhat lighter then the E2.

I have yet to do any serious night riding with the helmet, but in a few tests, it seems to accept the helmet light mount well, without affecting balance.

Favorite Trail:   Conyers Horsepark, Georgia