Home | Reviews | Helmet | Smith

Smith Forefront Helmet

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The all-new FOREFRONT defines Smith’s innovation platform and serves as the ‘go to’ helmet for all-mountain riders. Created to provide all-mountain protection with road-race weight, the Aerocore™ construction of the FOREFRONT allows riders ventilated protection as never before seen in a bicycle helmet.

Submitted by Spokes572 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2015

Strengths:    Best fitting helmet ever purchased, Extremely light, Very Good Looks, Looks expensive.
Shape - does not protrude out the back with a weird pointy shape - like my road helmets
Visor is easily tilt able!
Advance protection technology

Weaknesses:    Ventilation possibly. Can never feel air flow! But actually does not seem any hotter than my current helmet

Bottom Line:
Decided to get this helmet to replace my Mavic Plasma Road Helmet that looks so weird on me but vents ok. Plasma when on, i knew it was on my head. The Smith helmet, once on, you don't even realize that it is on anymore due to the fit is so comfortable and its so light. Its does not have the weird point coming out the back like my expensive road helmets, so to me the Smith helmet looks better and gives me the sense that if i fell on the back of my head the helmet would protect me and not rise up.

I have to admit, you will never feel air flow through this helmet. I even tilt my head down during a down hill to see if i can get the air to flow through the holes and never feel a thing. That said, i never feel hot in this helmet and compared to my other helmets its seems to have me sweat a lot less for some reason.

Worth the purchase due to the great fit, not knowing its on my head, looks great, extremely light wt, - the comfort and protection alone is reason to buy.

I did not purchase MIPs due to the extra cost and fact that i am only doing cross country and no crazy down hill stuff that might require the extra protection. I also assume and guessed that the MIPs would mean more stuff which meant to me more wt and more heat possibly.

This helmet is more than enough or my riding style and my wallet.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp - BoyScout - Skeggs

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Plasma

Bike Setup:   2014 Specialized S-Works 29nr Enduro upgraded to 2015 specs- RSC brakes, Reverb internal route seatpost, Custom carbon Light Bicycle 30mm Fatty front rim, Thomson low rise 10mm 740mm carbon bar,SWAT setup, ICON tires 27lbs

Submitted by SuperTrooper

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2015

Strengths:    Fit is fantastic. Cooling is far better than any mountain helmet I have used to date, and I have been riding for 20+ years. Weight is super light.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Tried this helmet at this years Sea Otter and was impressed. Smith Rep Mal Burd was very helpful and informative. Went to my LBS I got back home and bought one. Several rides later and I am even more impressed. The ventilation design of this Helmet really works. I currently have three other brand all mountain Helmets, and this Smith is far and away the best at cooling. If you ride where it's warm and you sweat, you need one... And for those who think it's too expensive, remember " ten dollar helmet,..."

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Strengths:    Outstanding helmet overall, with a remarkable attention to detail, cool features and great fit.

Weaknesses:    Not feeling quite much as "ENDURO" Helmet --coverage feels a bit lacking on this one, if compared to Bell Super, Giro Xen or Giro Feature.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this on ebay, got a 15 mile city ride in kinda cold weather condition, heavy shower and so forth. It held my head warm but I could tell the air intakes were doing its job pretty well. It is really, really light. But it doesn't cover as much as other helmets in the category. The feeling is similar to the Giro Xar that I am selling in the lbs I work at.

Despite few to no soft padding inside, I never felt it was uncomfortable, actually I prefer it this way, with the koroyd tubes right over the top of my head. It feels as comfy or more comfy than pretty much every other helmet I've tried (Bell Super, Met Kaos, Giro Xen, Giro Hex, Giro Xar, Giro Feature, POC Trabec).

Lightness comes at a price, however, and it is quite expensive. I get it when I take it out of the box, it looks like top notch helmet in every detail, even better than a POC helmet. But still expensive.

I don't know yet if protection is #1 attribute to this lid, but I am confident I would definitely choose it if getting in not-so-serious downhill.

Prettiest helmet I've had, the second lightest after the Met Kaos and one I would definitely recommend for XC/Trail use.

Purchased At:   Chocolatecarly (eBay

Submitted by Gearchase

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Great design, coverage. Low profile. Read review first, as there wasn't a lot to go on. Most comperable the POC helmet. GearChase.com site was the most resourceful http://gearchase.com/blog/index.php/smithaerocorehelmetreviews/

Weaknesses:    The helmet did seem a bit ncomfortable, a little hard - the padding semmed a bit lacking. yet more padding would have made it more bulky.

Bottom Line:
A definite win. A truley enduro style helmet, yet lighter than any road helmet I have ever had.