SixSixOne Recon Helmet

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Does the sight of roadies rocking ?aero? helmets on recreational rides make you cringe? Then you're a candidate for the Six Six One Recon XC Helmet. Less shave-one-tenth-of-a-second and more turn-the-trail-into-a-funplex, this brain bucket lets you rip with money in the safety bank.Moto-style extended rear coverageDetox fit system for quick adjustments and a secure fit18 Intake vents for a cool headRemovable visor

Submitted by TucksMedicAided a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    Works well with any and all glasses I have (also good with my smith goggles). Lightweight, comfy, easy to adjust. The straps have stayed where I adjusted them to on day one. Well vented.

Weaknesses:    Um... uh...

Bottom Line:
Great helmet, does what it should.

Similar Products Used:   Giro, Bell, Specialized

Submitted by Clint

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfort, airflow

Weaknesses:    size is off a little, you get small/medium or large/x large. Seem to run a little large

Bottom Line:
Bought bell helmets for my wife and I last year and they were nice but the comfort of the 661 blows them away.
I wanted a more mountain bike helmet without going full face, even though im a fan of full face helmets for what I wanted to spend I was not going to get a good enough one to matter.

I settled on the recon at 75.00 each on sale and they were a great buy, great airflow,comfort,lightweight were just the beginning of what I liked about the recon.

The straps are placed well and don't snug your ears to make the sore after miles of riding, the visor does actually help and is easily removed if you wish to take it off.

The helmet runs a little large so if your on the fence of a med or large you could go med OR buy the large and modify the inner pads a little and it will fit snug enough, its not really a big deal and easily modified.

Great product of a decent price, in the less than $100.00 market its probably one of the best out there and you only get one head so get the best you can buy!!

Submitted by bassn

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    Great fit, Coverage, construction, and protects the noggin well! Basically everything I could ask for in a helmet.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Recently I slammed my head into a tree while descending a technical steep downhill in less than ideal conditions. The impact was so hard the helmet actually left a V groove in the tree. From the incident I was able to ride back to the car and taken to ER by my friends. I left the hospital 3 hours later with a concussion and slight bruising to my right lower jaw. Very minor IMO considering the impact. A new replacement SixSixOne Helmet is on its way!
I guess it's one of those things, you really don't appreciate a well made helmet until it saves your noggin. I highly recommend purchasing the Recon.

Submitted by RyanW

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2013

Strengths:    Coverage, fit, comfort, vents, well made.

Weaknesses:    None really except sweat comes off the front onto my glasses when I stop, but this may just be me..solved this with a headsweat coolmax.

Bottom Line:
I wanted something that offers a bit more protection than typical helmets in this category but still keeps you cool as it has plenty of vents. So far after three months I am very happy with this helmet. It seems to be well made and feels solid but yet is light and very comfortable; I don’t really notice it is on after I start riding.
My only real compliant is that when you stop and look down just a bit, sweat will stream off the front onto my glasses, although this could just be me. I solved this issue with one of those headsweat cool max head covers, which works great.

Submitted by piratewake a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Comfy, Cozy and cool.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I have a pretty big head. I wear a 7 5/8 fitted hat. i bought a large and it fits perfect on the tightest setting.... I would deffinetly try one on before purchasing if your not sure what size hat you typically wear. Good coverage all the way around with plenty of breathability. Couldn't be happier.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   amazon

Submitted by juss

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    This is the Mutts and the greatest protection for your bonce!

Weaknesses:    the adjuster strap easily falls out - oh and they don't have a homing device if you're stupid enough to leave it on the roof of you car!

Bottom Line:
Great all round, cool looking and feeling lid!

Submitted by illinois downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    great design, light, great venting, great padding, great retention backband.great strap clamps at triangle under ear. this alows to even tension so helmet dont rise.

Weaknesses:    sizing off..my head is 59 1/2 cm and this otherwise perfect fitting helmet would not fully snug with back band ratchet fully closed. so i attatched velcro soft sid out to plastic retenton back band plates and now in summer i got a couple clicks left and even a better helmet cuz soft velcro feel better than plastic. also i wonder if strap anchors and strap stitcing will last as long as the helment. but for a nice helmet like this it would be worth fixing..

Bottom Line:
love this helmet!! got the white one so sun dont cook me. true next sise smaller might have worked without altering, but in colder weather i have plenty of room to add a skull cap. i pedal a trek remedy 7 and wild like a banchie so i needed a cross country helmet that could take a hit and would not make me look like a sissy or overheat. im not peter pan so i dress more casual.but this helmet has mega venalation and looks good.plus it covers more medula at back of head.had many racers say i over protect cuz i also where full lizzard skins. but i have crashed hard.i have messed up jumps at 21mp and slammed to the dirt,.so i know we cant stop or imagine how hard or wher our head could be struck. human instinct will make you hit head last but it still can happen. so my summarry is the recon is great i love it and any less protection wound be dissrespecting my life...

Submitted by Tim Kreimer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Strengths:    Looks great
more coverage than a traditional helmet
plenty of air vents
comfortable

Weaknesses:    buckle and straps solution on my $35 bell helmet are better than on this $100 helmet
Coverage could be greater

Bottom Line:
The helmet is great, the only problem I have with it is that the buckle and strap design is very basic for such an expensive helmet. The buckle and strap on my $35 Bell helmet is much better than on this one. Also the coverage is good but im my opinion it could cover more. Other than that I really enjoy the helmet and recommend it.

Purchased At:   Huck N Roll

Similar Products Used:   Basic Bell helmet

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8

Submitted by Bigramair

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    Fit. Looks. My egg doesn't get scrambled.

Weaknesses:    When I hit a tree with my stupid wide bars the visor falls off

Bottom Line:
Very nice helmet. The padding on this thing is like a sweat resevoir, if you take a break on the trail; take it off and squeeze out the sweat. I had a Giro (although 5 years old) before and I was always wiping crap out of my eyes/face.

Submitted by ognee a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Snug fit. Light. Sleek. Great ventilation. Styling.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I measure at about 58-59 around the head. Went with the S/M and it fits great. I got rid of my other helmets because I will only be wearing the Recon going forward. Great product bottom line!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Outdoor Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Giro and Fox Flux

Bike Setup:   Vodoo

Submitted by Wally a Weekend Warrior from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Good looks, strong, well made.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't fit large heads. I'm a 7 3/4 and the "L/XL" fit like a top hat, so I had to return it for a Specialized Vice - fits much better.

Bottom Line:
I wish they made a true XL since the L/XL is too small.

Favorite Trail:   The One I'm On

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Vice

Bike Setup:   Enduro

Submitted by casrec a Weekend Warrior from Bend Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    looks nice, easy to adjust, great ventilation, a little more coverage for this style.

Weaknesses:    weird sizing, nice to have a little more padding.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this helmet, but be careful with the sizing.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and looks like the Forest Moon of Endor

Purchased At:   Outside outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Bell(mostly full face)

Bike Setup:   2010 KHS velvet

Submitted by Fletch 1 a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Unlike other helmets I have used the Recon feels solid and well made with out feeling heavy. Being in Arizona there are rocks everywhere so I was attracted to this helmets extra protection it offers for the back of your head. I have worn it for many hours at a time with no problems or discomfort. I have read that people have had sizing issues but I found it to run accurately, I have a big melon so I got the L/XL and made the simple sizing adjustments with no drama at all. Buy this helmet, you will not be disappointed.

Weaknesses:    None what so ever.

Bottom Line:
Buy this helmet, you will not be disappointed. If you are a casual rider or XC racer you will be happy with the value, form and fit of this helmet.

Favorite Trail:   PMP T100

Purchased At:   Huck N Roll

Similar Products Used:   Giro and Bell in a similar price range.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp 29er

Submitted by madsedan a Weekend Warrior from Rockwall, TX

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Fit, weight, looks, adjustability.

Bottom Line:
After numerous crashes and impacts with my first helmet I decided to shop for a replacement, something nicer.
I wanted to try the Fox Flux when my LBS recommended the Recon from 661.
Big difference in everything going from a cheapy $40 Bell helmet to a $100 helmet, everything works better and fits better.
I have a large noggin so I have issues finding something comfy that doesn't look ridiculous.
I also like the trend of having more back coverage on the helmets like the 661 and the Fox Flux have, better protection and comfort.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek Preserve