Home | Reviews | Helmet | Scott

• Adjustable Cam Dividers
  • Removable Visor

Submitted by tuckerbretton a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2014

Strengths:    *Light weight & comfortable
* bug screen for front vents (yeah, its only happened a few times, but I don't need a bee in my bonnet)
* improved safety with MIPS system
* less expensive than many MIPS designs (or other top-end helmets for that matter)

Weaknesses:    Not so much weaknesses, but considerations:
* Only offered in 1 size (21.25 - 24 inch head circumference). My dome is 23" and the fit is great
* The MIPS liner within the helmet makes mounting a headlamp a little tricky, but I emailed Scott, and so long as the strap & cord don't interfere with the potential movement of the liner, should not affect the safety of the design

Bottom Line:
I was motivated to write this review, seeing that this helmet had none yet, and I took a chance on the purchase knowing that REI has a great return policy. I've also had 2 bike-related concussions, and after reading an article titled "Senseless" in the June 2013 Bicycling Magazine, I had been searching for a helmet offering better safety. I hope that writing this review will encourage more people to consider their safety a top priority, and by voting with our dollars, the consumer can encourage the industry to develop helmets that actually promote better protection (and testing that is relevant to real-world conditions).

I think the greatest compliment to be paid to a helmet is to be unaware of its existence. I feel better knowing that I took a step to protect myself, but otherwise, my new Scott fits & performs just as well as other top-end helmets I've used (although at an attractively lower price point). Stoked.

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks