POC Sports Trabec Race MIPS Helmet

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

The Trabec Race MIPS is a well-ventilated in-mold helmet that combines functionality and performance for single track and enduro riders. The construction is similar to the trabecular bone structure, which has excellent resistance and durability. The inner EPS core, reinforced with aramid filaments, is tough and resilient and the outer PC shell is constructed with the seams located in the least exposed areas. The helmet is equipped with the patented MIPS system to reduce the rotational forces to the brain in the case of an oblique impact.

POC Sports Trabec Race Helmet Pro Review

The Swedish based POC gravity sport protection company recently released the trick Trabec mountain bike helmet, which comes in two flavors, the Trabec Race and Trabec. The helmet extends down the back of the neck, and it uses Aramid filaments combined with an In-mold Expanded PolyStyrene (EPS) foam liner for maximum protection. The three-piece outer polycarbonate shell has optimized sections that don’t have seams in the most vulnerable areas, and its bonded to the reinforced core, for strength and lightweight. Continue reading →

POC Trabec Race Helmet Pro Review

Swedish based POC produces the Trabec in three flavors, the Trabec Race and Trabec and the Trabec MIPS. The helmet extends down the back of the neck, and it uses Aramid filaments combined with an In-mold Expanded PolyStyrene (EPS) foam liner for maximum protection. The three-piece outer polycarbonate shell has optimized sections that don’t have seams in the most vulnerable areas, and its bonded to the reinforced core, for strength and lightweight. The comfortable and extremely safety engineered Trabec Race helmet, offers extra Aramid reinforcements than the Trabec, and weighs around 340 grams and costs $180. Continue reading →

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    It covers more of my head than my last helmet yet it's lighter, cooler and more comfortable. It doesn't look like there would be as much ventilation as other helmets but the big deep channels along the inside make it very breezy.

Weaknesses:    I wish there was more overlap between the sizes. I was right on the border between a M/L and XL/XXL. I opted for the XL/XXL and it adjusts to fit snugly but it looks huge on me. I also haven't found the spacing of the vents to be ideal for mounting a light. Since there are so few vents and they are spaced to far apart, you don't have many options for routing the straps.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I really like this helmet. It's comfortable and I imagine it provides more safety than my last helmet. I paid a little more than half of the MSRP listed here (which, by the way, is really high compared to typical retail prices.) I thought it was steep at the time but I don't regret buying it.

Duration Product Used:   2-3 months

Purchased At:   Peak Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Just my old Trek helmet

Bike Setup:   Full suspension XC 29er

Submitted by gpastorino

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    Safety, Brain Protection, fit, ventilation, coverage

Weaknesses:    Hard to find in stock

Bottom Line:
I have been researching better helmets for Single Track Mountain Bikers for years and finally decided to
get Pussanee and I the Poc Trabec Race MIPS and we have both been very happy with it. Only an ounce
heavier than our previous helmets despite much better coverage and protection. Very well ventilated also.

The Helmet comes with a Multi directional impact protection system that reduces rotational forces to the brain in the
event of an angled impact and it fits around your head, not on top of it. There is also much better protection on the
back side, in the event of a flip.

Read about the Technology here: http://www.pocsports.com/en/content/view/new-technologies#MIPS

Videos on Brain Protection here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/POC-Leads-the-Charge-in-Helmet-Safety-with-MIPS-Brain-Protection-Technology,635

Read more here: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/poc-trabec-race-mips-just-in-33529/

REI Video Here: http://tinyurl.com/REI-Poc-Video

We don't notice the extra ounce, love the fit and the extra protection it provides. Full Disclosure: I have no connection with the company.

Thanks and be safe.... George Pastorino Mountain Bike Coordinator Elmhurst Bike Club

Submitted by Gururyan

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    Fits like a beanie, extremely light, amazing protection (which I know 1st hand as of yesterday, which prompted me to finally write a review), looks great...instead of like most helmets that look like brain sucking alien spiders from Nascar.

Weaknesses:    Could vent a little better at slower speeds.

Bottom Line:
This is the first helmet I have had that actually "fit" my head. It is a snug fit without feeling tight. If it weren't for the strap reminding me, I would forget I was even wearing one. The venting could be better at slower speeds, but if there is a breeze or you're going over 5 mph you won't get overheated. If you look a little more downward you will get a blast of cool air. I like the removable visor, I rarely use it. Like I said in the strengths section, I went over the bars yesterday and landed on my head and shoulder on a section of single track with roots and some rocks. The impact was loud, but since there was no play in the fitting I didn't feel knocked around at all. I came out of it unhurt and the helmet has no signs of damage...nor does my head. I did my research before buying and knew it was a highly rated helmet, but after feeling a hit 1st hand I am even more confident that it will protect me in a much worse situation.

Submitted by jakeman55 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great looking helmet! POC has strong technology built into the helmet. The fitting system is simple and works well.

Weaknesses:    Ventilation, although not horrible, is not the best.

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful helmet. The fit is outstanding and POC has done its research to try to ensure that your nugget is protected. I love this helmet! My only beef is that it doesn't seem to vent as well as my older helmet (Fox Striker). I rode on consecitive mornings when the temp was about 80 degress in So Cal, and my head felt significantly cooler on my climbs with the Fox. The POC seemed to retain some heat on climbs but was great on the descents. Overall, I highly recommend this helmet, just know that on hot climbs, it does not vent very well.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Duration Product Used:   20 hours

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   Fox Striker

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR 5

Submitted by Brewtality a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Beefiness, great protection from an open face helmet.
Cooling is way better than you would expect.
Secure fit.

Weaknesses:    None found yet, maybe cost? Availablity? They are hard to find in some sizes. The color schemes are terrible.

Bottom Line:
This helmet looks heavy and hot but don't be fooled. It is way light. Surprisingly light. Air flow when climbing was about the same as the Fox Flux. But when things sped up, the airflow through the helmet was amazing. On a +90* evening ride, I almost got brain freeze from my sweaty hair getting too much air flow on a fast section.
The coverage provided by the helmet is way better than any other open face XC helmet. You do notice you have a bigger helmet on at first, but its so light that you forget about it.
Helmet comes with a carrying bag and a complete set of spare pads.
3 chilis on value because they are not cheap, but for this kind of protection, its worth it to me.

Purchased At:   HucknRoll