Lazer Sport Genesis XC Helmet

Other than your bicycle itself, does anything more strongly define your physical appearance than your helmet? We think that's so, which means our world is chock-full of Giro Ionos-wearing clones. Cyclists by definition are not herd animals (if we were, we'd play golf or run 5Ks instead), we prefer the road less traveled to find gear with an optimal blend of fashionable, functional, slightly-esoteric PROness -- so the ubiquity of the Ionos turns us off. In short, we crave a different helmet. But it's gotta meet or beat the upsides of the Ionos. That's where the Lazer Genesis Helmet makes its mark.Esoteric PROness: The Lazer Genesis Helmet has it. But what about the other critical variables for a helmet -- fit, function, and handsomeness? Ditto here, the Genesis has it in spades. In terms of fit, the best part about the Genesis is that it only comes in two sizes that they refer to as Medium and Large. The former is for head circumferences ranging from 52cm-58cm, and the latter is 58cm-61cm. Here's some practical advice: If you're comfortable in a size Medium Giro, you'll want the Medium Lazer. If the Medium Giro feels too small in the least, you'll want to size up to the Large.How does Lazer get away with only two sizes? It's thanks to their Rollsys Retention System technology. Unlike a Giro RocLoc that basically presses a retention system onto the back of your head, the Lazer Rollsys has a smooth thumb wheel at the top of the helmet that connects to a progressive sizing system that loosens/tightens the retention system around the entire circumference of your head. Design-wise, the Rollsys is remarkably clean, and it adds no appreciable weight to the helmet. Those who've worn them are astonished by the same thing -- the comfort of having retention pressure increased/decreased evenly throughout the entirety of the helmet.The Genesis Helmet has 19 vents for tons of ventilation, and the front portion is protected by insect netting. If you've ever had a bee get sucked into the front of your helmet at speed, you'll know that neither of you end up happy about it. The Genesis has a more minimal silhouette than an Ionos, as though it's not as tall and not as wide. We like that. It also relies on X-Static pads to keep you comfortable and to keep from getting too stinky. This material is anti-microbial to discourage bacterial and fungal growth. The Lazer Genesis Helmet is available in Red/white and White. It comes with a helmet bag and a set of spare X-Static pads, though you can remove the pads included in the helmet and wash them to freshen it up as part of your regular maintenance. The Genesis Team Helmet is available in Red/white and White. Choose from Medium or Large.

Submitted by brewcityrider a Racer from Milwaukee ,WI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, has a low profile and fits me perfectly, vents well, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet I've ever owned, great fit and looks sleek. Vents well in the summer and fits perfectly under a cycling hat or beanie on cooler days. Great value for a top of the line helmet.

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Submitted by trackermi a Cross Country Rider from Holland, MI

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Fit, Low profile, ease of usem style

Weaknesses:    Not the best for mounting lights on but does work.

Bottom Line:
I was having alot of trouble with my Giro helmet that was not that old, Giro just didnt fit well. So I went and found this helemt and man does it fit perfect. I tried on teh s-works helment from specialzed and that has nothing on the feel of this helment. You feel like there is a big ring around your head on the specialized one. This one snugs the back hlaf of your head and a little strap up front also.

I bought the Genesis RD Edition with the roller on top.

I cant say enough good things about this helmet. I cant wait for my long road ride tomorrow to get a better feel. The Giro I had to constantly move it around and it felt like a rock on my head.

The genesis is a low profile helmet also. Keeping the mushroom head to a minimum.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast